LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World Cup)

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby Loaf31 on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:03 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I thought I was just going to take a season off from EPL and have Blackburn back, but now they're not back :scared: Who should I follow this year?

Swansea or Newcastle
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby GaryRissling on Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:23 pm

Bob Bradley on the daily show right now, FYI
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby IamtheWaris on Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:21 pm

More good news aside from the Gold Cup win yesterday. The depth continues to grow. First John Anthony Brooks the CB for Hertha Berlin is called up for the August friendly then Aron Johannsson chooses the USA over Iceland.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/29/az-alkmaar-striker-aron-johannsson-picks-usa-over-iceland/
IamtheWaris
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby largegarlic on Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:38 pm

IamtheWaris wrote:More good news aside from the Gold Cup win yesterday. The depth continues to grow. First John Anthony Brooks the CB for Hertha Berlin is called up for the August friendly then Aron Johannsson chooses the USA over Iceland.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/29/az-alkmaar-striker-aron-johannsson-picks-usa-over-iceland/

I just saw this too. I haven't seen Brooks or Johannsson play yet, but I would imagine both would be serious candidates for at least 2nd-string positions for the World Cup. Up top, the US doesn't have much behind Altidore--Gomez might be getting to that injury-plagued downside of his career, Wondo can't score against non-horrible teams, Boyd is big and fast, but lacks technique, ditto for E. Johnson. At center back, it seems like Besler, Gonzalez, and Goodson are the top 3, but the fourth spot is completely up for grabs.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kraftster on Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:39 pm

John Anthony Brooks developed very nicely for me when I played as Hertha in Fifa 13. FWIW, lol.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby largegarlic on Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:41 pm

Oh, I was going to mention that Holden's injury is really the only bad news to come out of the last couple days. I would imagine it would be devastating for him to pick up another knee injury after doing so much to get back to full fitness...maybe he just doesn't have the durability.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby IamtheWaris on Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:57 pm

Yeah that would be tough if Holden is out. That said Diskerud looks good enough to make the team and Beckerman, Cameron, Danny Williams, and to an extent Klesjtan can all play where Holden does. None of them bring the same creativity but the US has a lot more depth than they have ever had.
IamtheWaris
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby largegarlic on Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:09 pm

IamtheWaris wrote:Yeah that would be tough if Holden is out. That said Diskerud looks good enough to make the team and Beckerman, Cameron, Danny Williams, and to an extent Klesjtan can all play where Holden does. None of them bring the same creativity but the US has a lot more depth than they have ever had.

Yeah, luckily, that position probably is the deepest for the US. I've read that Bedoya and Corona play for more centrally for their clubs too.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pfim on Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:25 pm

I wouldn't say it's impossible, but I don't think it's very likely at all that Brooks and Johansson factor into this WC cycle. Especially Brooks, who has not yet played in the Bundesliga and is behind Gonzalez, Besler, Goodson, Orozco Fiscal etc with less than a year to go. You also have a guy like Cameron who can play multiple roles and I wouldn't count out Bocanegra just yet as he's moving to MLS.

Johansson perhaps has a slightly greater chance if his form is out of this world due to the dearth of talent there and the nature of strikers and form.

Still, it's great news for the pool overall.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:26 pm

Thought the U.S. was pretty poor yesterday but I'll of course take the win.

Don't know much about either of these guys with dual citizenship. It would seem that how they perform for their clubs this season and how they do in friendlies for the U.S. would be huge in regard to their chances of making the W.C. squad.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:28 pm

I thought the US played well with what they had. Panama was basically playing their A- team and bunkered the whole game.

Comparing this team with what they have trotted out onto the field in the past is pretty amazing...much better display of possession and tactical awareness...they are prone to the Bylsma stretch pass on occasion but they don't rely on it to create chances nearly as much as they use to.
Last edited by DontToewsMeBro on Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby jmh470 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:08 pm

I'd bet on Johannsson going to the WC. After Altidore and Dempsey (who IMO is better in midfield) there's a rather precipitous drop in talent at forward. If he puts in a decent campaign next season, I'd prefer him to EJ and Wondo who consistently have been found lacking against better opposition.

In any case, these are two nice pickups in positions of need. Hopefully there's another fullback defector on the horizon.
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:24 pm

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:21 pm

Gaucho wrote:

Draxler and Gündoğan both went from being the next up and coming German midfielders right into being known commodities very quickly.

Do you know anything about Jan Kirchhoff? He just joined Bayern from Mainz on a pre-contract agreement signed in January.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:21 pm

jmh470 wrote:I'd bet on Johannsson going to the WC. After Altidore and Dempsey (who IMO is better in midfield) there's a rather precipitous drop in talent at forward. If he puts in a decent campaign next season, I'd prefer him to EJ and Wondo who consistently have been found lacking against better opposition.

In any case, these are two nice pickups in positions of need. Hopefully there's another fullback defector on the horizon.

What other fullback defector are you talking about?
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:29 pm

WDWBurghGooner wrote:
Do you know anything about Jan Kirchhoff? He just joined Bayern from Mainz on a pre-contract agreement signed in January.

I guess financially it was great for him, but he's not going to play much and regress, then in two years he'll sign with Wolfsburg or Hannover or whatever. Or maybe he'll surprise me just like Dante did. If Badstuber continues to struggle with injuries the move could pay off.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:32 pm

Rumor has it that either of Marco Reus and Ilkay Gündogan or maybe even both could join Barcelona within a few weeks. Not sure how credible those rumors are, but I don't really see it happening.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:53 pm

Gaucho wrote:
WDWBurghGooner wrote:

I guess financially it was great for him, but he's not going to play much and regress, then in two years he'll sign with Wolfsburg or Hannover or whatever. Or maybe he'll surprise me just like Dante did. If Badstuber continues to struggle with injuries the move could pay off.

Bayern is really loaded everywhere so I think it is likely he will lose those development years and move on. That being said I thought Van Buyten was washed up and wouldn't crack their lineup last year but he did due to injuries and suspension. So you never know.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:01 pm

Gaucho wrote:Rumor has it that either of Marco Reus and Ilkay Gündogan or maybe even both could join Barcelona within a few weeks. Not sure how credible those rumors are, but I don't really see it happening.

That would really be a shame for Dortmund (I have a big soft spot for them). I find it hard to believe that they would sell Reus just a year after bringing him back especially with Lewandowski off to Bayern next year. But money talks and Barca can over pay for anyone. I thought Pierre Emerick Aubayemang was brought in as a guy to replace Lewandowski but they might see him as the Reus replacement now. Dortmund know what they are doing so that money would not be wasted.

If Gündoğan gets another year of development it is almost frightening to think of what his pricetag will be next summer. If both those players going to Barca means that they are willing to sell Cesc I'd be all for it. Arsenal have right of first refusal on any offer Barca accept.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:43 pm

Didn't see it posted, but Holden with another serious knee injury:

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/15097 ... cl?cc=5901
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GaryRissling on Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:33 pm

I don't know if I've ever felt as bad for a pro athlete as I do now with Holden.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:15 pm

Real are apparently willing to pay €100+ million for Gareth Bale. :shock:
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pavement on Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:26 pm

Was sad to read about the death of Christian Benitez who played for Birmingham City during the 2009-10 season. Apparently he died of heart failure after making his debut for his new club.
Pavement
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Loaf31 on Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:36 pm

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2013 ... unders-fc/

Dempsey to the Sounders......

I've always followed them, but now I will be a fan from here on out. Tried to follow the Crew but never got a good vibe from them
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Ossa on Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:45 pm

As a Sounders fan, I love it.

As a Clint Dempsey fan, I kind of wish he was playing in Champions League.
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR