LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World Cup)

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby jmh470 on Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:14 pm

Yikes, I'm guessing this was motivated by his personal life. No doubt he'll play regularly, but he would have also played regularly at a mid-table EPL club where he's infinitely more likely to encounter WC14 participants.

My respect for him just took a ding. Moving to Seattle only one year after being so gung-ho about playing at the highest level?

In future news: Clint Dempsey to miss WC14 with turf toe.
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Loaf31 on Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:25 pm

I think that it probably does have somthing to do with his family. I read that he wanted out of THFC and the feeling was mutual. I cannot think of another team in the CL that would have brought him in.

Also, he will probably be the Face of the MLS now. Plus Eddie Johnson plays for Seattle, and they are tight.
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kraftster on Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:56 pm

&@*# Seattle, clap clap, clap clap clap.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby largegarlic on Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:02 pm

I have conflicted feelings about Dempsey. His signing is definitely a good get for MLS and Seattle, and I don't really think playing in MLS for one year will really hurt his form going into the World Cup.

However, it was really him, Bradley, and Jones (though I don't know how much the latter counts, since he was trained in Germany) who were the vanguard of US field players showing that it was possible for Americans to be significant players at big clubs. I'm sure in England it's going to be viewed as a Yank not being able to cut it at a big club and slinking back to an inferior league.

I guess it doesn't matter that much, but I feel like this sets back the rep of Americans in Europe.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:49 pm

Deuce is getting paid more by Seattle than Beckham did when he played for the Galaxy...insane.

I think Deuce is enough of a baller that playing lesser competition shouldn't really have too much of an effect on him come WC. As long as Jones is getting playing time at Schalke and Bradley is doing the same at Roma we are good.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Loaf31 on Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:38 pm

http://www.nbcsports.com/premierleague

Pretty cool web app that lets you pick your team, or they will ask you questions if you are undecided
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:44 pm

^I got West Bromwich and Cardiff City... :? haha
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pfim on Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:38 am

WDWBurghGooner wrote:Deuce is getting paid more by Seattle than Beckham did when he played for the Galaxy...insane.

I think Deuce is enough of a baller that playing lesser competition shouldn't really have too much of an effect on him come WC. As long as Jones is getting playing time at Schalke and Bradley is doing the same at Roma we are good.

He wanted out of THFC, and got someone to pay him more than he earned in London. Goes against every reason for leaving Fulham just one year ago, so it seems quite bizarre. He got paid though...
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:48 am

So, can anyone explain what happened with Portland trying to land Mix Diskerud and the problems with the MLS in that getting done? I meant to ask this a while ago but forgot. The Dempsey thing jogged my memory.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:08 am

I didn't really follow it but:

http://www.stumptownfooty.com/2013/5/7/ ... -not-major

The MLS is also known to want to keep their younger players in the league and refuse to sell...Something Dempsey experienced first hand while in New England (and other guys, specifically Shalrie Joseph).
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:10 am

Yeah I was going to say that I don't remember what happened exactly, but his issue was with not wanting to be under control and to be able to go to Europe after a few years.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby largegarlic on Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:42 pm

It looks like Juan Agudelo is going from New England to Stoke City on a free transfer in January. Stoke now has 4 Americans on the books, and supposedly, the new manager is trying to move them away from their overly physical, long-ball dependent style. Might be an interesting team to watch this season...

Rumors about Donovan going back to Europe after this MLS season (when his contract runs out) are also starting to heat up. I can't see any big team going for him, but he could make a lot of sense for a mid-table team looking for a cheap, proven player who can provide an offensive spark.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pfim on Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:52 pm

Best case scenario for Agudelo is to be sent out on loan...I don't think this is a good move for him, he should have looked for a situation in a lower league to start. Jozy 2.0.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:36 pm

largegarlic wrote:It looks like Juan Agudelo is going from New England to Stoke City on a free transfer in January. Stoke now has 4 Americans on the books, and supposedly, the new manager is trying to move them away from their overly physical, long-ball dependent style. Might be an interesting team to watch this season...

Rumors about Donovan going back to Europe after this MLS season (when his contract runs out) are also starting to heat up. I can't see any big team going for him, but he could make a lot of sense for a mid-table team looking for a cheap, proven player who can provide an offensive spark.

Mark Hughes is no Tony Pulis. But under him, Stoke aren't going to be confused for Barcelona anytime soon.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:10 pm

Well, I'm trying to talk myself into liking Stoke a little more. I couldn't bring myself to watch many of their games last year.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:24 pm

WDWBurghGooner wrote:
largegarlic wrote:It looks like Juan Agudelo is going from New England to Stoke City on a free transfer in January. Stoke now has 4 Americans on the books, and supposedly, the new manager is trying to move them away from their overly physical, long-ball dependent style. Might be an interesting team to watch this season...

Mark Hughes is no Tony Pulis. But under him, Stoke aren't going to be confused for Barcelona anytime soon.

The end of a Rory Delap-throw-in based offensive game plan is a sad day, in that it was hilarious so long as you weren't actually watching Stoke.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:47 pm

slappybrown wrote:
WDWBurghGooner wrote:

The end of a Rory Delap-throw-in based offensive game plan is a sad day, in that it was hilarious so long as you weren't actually watching Stoke.

Unfortunately, you can see it all over the premier league and MLS now because of Stoke.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:57 pm

I don't watch MLS, but they can't possibly all be playing the Stoke game of wait for set-piece/throw in, otherwise pack 11 behind the ball and cynically foul all over the field, can they?

There's nothing wrong with drawing up set pieces and throw-ins, but Stoke wasn't interested in actually playing soccer under Pulis.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:59 pm

slappybrown wrote:I don't watch MLS, but they can't possibly all be playing the Stoke game of wait for set-piece/throw in, otherwise pack 11 behind the ball and cynically foul all over the field, can they?

There's nothing wrong with drawing up set pieces and throw-ins, but Stoke wasn't interested in actually playing soccer under Pulis.

No it's just the throw-ins. It's bad enough, keep the ball and create something, don't throw it into the box for that 1% chance that it will bounce around like a pinball and go in the net.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:41 pm

Rory Delap had been phased out of Stoke over the past few years. He's playing in League 2 now actually.

Ricky van Wolfswinkel netted his first for Norwich today...it begins.

Oh, and minor bit of news. Suarez says he wants to join Arsenal.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Loaf31 on Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:52 pm

WDWBurghGooner wrote:Rory Delap had been phased out of Stoke over the past few years. He's playing in League 2 now actually.

LFC will not sell to a team that they are going to fight for 4th place with.

I agree that Suarez has to go now, beyond the point of no return, but he is up a creek w/o a paddle. No other teams have bid, and they won't sell to Arsenal
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:01 pm

WDWBurghGooner wrote:Rory Delap had been phased out of Stoke over the past few years. He's playing in League 2 now actually.

Is van Wolfswinkel any good? I was debating about picking him up as a lower-priced forward in the fantasy league who would be guaranteed lots of minutes and might break out, but now I can't remember if I picked him or Bony. I haven't seen either play before, but I know Bony tore up the Dutch league last year.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:03 pm

Loaf31 wrote:

LFC will not sell to a team that they are going to fight for 4th place with.

I agree that Suarez has to go now, beyond the point of no return, but he is up a creek w/o a paddle. No other teams have bid, and they won't sell to Arsenal

They aren't competing with Arsenal for fourth, that's a red herring. Suarez forced their hand, they got no choice now. And if the release clause is true Liverpool are even more screwed.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:06 pm

largegarlic wrote:

Is van Wolfswinkel any good? I was debating about picking him up as a lower-priced forward in the fantasy league who would be guaranteed lots of minutes and might break out, but now I can't remember if I picked him or Bony. I haven't seen either play before, but I know Bony tore up the Dutch league last year.

I think both are worth a gamble in terms of cheap guys who might blow up. Swansea play a bit more of an awesome style but Michu is their go-to-guy so that is kind of a catch 22.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:40 am

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/espnfcuni ... 64?cc=5901

Piece from Marcotti on Suarez contract fiasco.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR