LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World Cup)

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby Loaf31 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:53 pm

slappybrown wrote:http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/espnfcunited/id/8364?cc=5901

Piece from Marcotti on Suarez contract fiasco.

PFA has ruled in LFC's favor on the buy out clause
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rocco on Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:59 pm

Suarez can rot in hell.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Loaf31 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:58 pm

Rocco wrote:Suarez can rot in hell.

I defended him the past, but this is my thought also.
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:28 pm

I've always disliked Suarez (well, at least since the 2010 World Cup), so I feel vindicated.

Also, I'm getting tired of players on pretty good teams complaining that they need to be transferred to Champions League teams or teams that will win the title. If Suarez stays at Liverpool and Liverpool makes another good acquisition or two, it's not that far-fetched to think that Liverpool could get one of the CL places. I mean, they won the CL not that long ago. It's not like Suarez is stuck at Sunderland or something. It just seems like some players want to skip the part of the process that requires them to fight to elevate their current team to the level they want to get to and prefer just joining up with a team that's already more or less guaranteed a place in the CL.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:38 pm

largegarlic wrote:I've always disliked Suarez (well, at least since the 2010 World Cup), so I feel vindicated.

Also, I'm getting tired of players on pretty good teams complaining that they need to be transferred to Champions League teams or teams that will win the title. If Suarez stays at Liverpool and Liverpool makes another good acquisition or two, it's not that far-fetched to think that Liverpool could get one of the CL places. I mean, they won the CL not that long ago. It's not like Suarez is stuck at Sunderland or something. It just seems like some players want to skip the part of the process that requires them to fight to elevate their current team to the level they want to get to and prefer just joining up with a team that's already more or less guaranteed a place in the CL.

That's just the way it is. Figo moved to Madrid from Barca. Guys constantly play for multiple big teams in Italy (Zlatan, Balotelli, Inzaghi, etc.)

Liverpool won the European Cup in 2005, that is an eternity ago in football terms. Rafa>Brendan Rodgers. Of course, Rafa had won something with Valecia before he moved to Liverpool.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby IamtheWaris on Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:16 pm

For Arsenal fans 2005 sure is a long time ago. A bunch of seasons finishing 3rd or 4th, far from challenging for the title. 3 lost cup finals. Since 2005 Liverpool have won the FA cup, League Cup, nearly won the league in 2009 and appeared in another Champions League final and FA cup final. The last four years has been a struggle but the condescension from the Arsenal fans is amusing.
IamtheWaris
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Loaf31 on Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:08 pm

IamtheWaris wrote:For Arsenal fans 2005 sure is a long time ago. A bunch of seasons finishing 3rd or 4th, far from challenging for the title. 3 lost cup finals. Since 2005 Liverpool have won the FA cup, League Cup, nearly won the league in 2009 and appeared in another Champions League final and FA cup final. The last four years has been a struggle but the condescension from the Arsenal fans is amusing.

Arsenal fans are quickly rising the charts of my most hated supporters
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:34 pm

IamtheWaris wrote:For Arsenal fans 2005 sure is a long time ago. A bunch of seasons finishing 3rd or 4th, far from challenging for the title. 3 lost cup finals. Since 2005 Liverpool have won the FA cup, League Cup, nearly won the league in 2009 and appeared in another Champions League final and FA cup final. The last four years has been a struggle but the condescension from the Arsenal fans is amusing.

I'm just counterbalancing the self-righteousness that is Liverpool fans m.o. Condescension? Do me a favor. How many ex-Liverpool players how come out in the press in the past couple of weeks and questioned why Suarez would want to make a "sideways" move to Arsenal? This pretty much speaks for itself:

2012-2013: Arsenal 4th 73 pts Liverpool 7th 61 pts
2011-2012: Arsenal 3rd 70 pts Liverpool 8th 52 pts
2010-2011: Arsenal 4th 68 pts Liverpool 6th 58 pts
2009-2010: Arsenal 3rd 75 pts Liverpool 7th 63 pts
2008-2009: Liverpool 2nd pts 86 Arsenal 4th 72 pts
2007-2008: Arsenal 3rd 83 pts Liverpool 4th 76 pts
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby IamtheWaris on Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:15 pm

In Wenger's own words, that is 6 trophies right there. Pretty impressive stuff.
IamtheWaris
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:50 pm

IamtheWaris wrote:In Wenger's own words, that is 6 trophies right there. Pretty impressive stuff.

It's no Milk Cup but I think playing on the highest European stage 6 years in a row (to go along with other 10 under Wenger) will do.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rocco on Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:22 pm

This guy the US swiped from Iceland can play.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby largegarlic on Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:39 pm

I always try to temper my expectations as far as the US national team goes, but holy crap, they might finally be legit. Johannson looked very good, and even though the other new guy, Brooks, struggled a bit with Dzeko, I thought he looked good generally and has huge potential.

Outside back is still a problem, though...
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:41 pm

I agree. The USMNT has major potential that I didn't see a few years ago. Definitely has me excited.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:24 pm

If they had more talent on the back-end, I'd be much more excited. As it stands now, they have a lot of talent up front (what?!) and Johannsson looked really, really good...great first touch, skill on the ball, dangerous...I'll be following that kid for sure.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rylan on Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:26 am

The backline doesn't need the best talent to be effective. If it molds into a unit, they can overcome their talent deficiency.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:49 am

Rylan wrote:The backline doesn't need the best talent to be effective. If it molds into a unit, they can overcome their talent deficiency.

Howard seemingly makes a few huge saves a game which obviously helps the backline. Also, if the front 6 can keep possesion that obviously takes the pressure off the back four.

A lot of excellent performances. Jozy's first goal never goes in a couple of years ago. Lots to be excited about with this team.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:13 am

WDWBurghGooner wrote:
Rylan wrote:The backline doesn't need the best talent to be effective. If it molds into a unit, they can overcome their talent deficiency.

Howard seemingly makes a few huge saves a game which obviously helps the backline. Also, if the front 6 can keep possesion that obviously takes the pressure off the back four.

A lot of excellent performances. Jozy's first goal never goes in a couple of years ago. Lots to be excited about with this team.

Jozy has matured a great amount since his first USMNT appearance. He is a commanding presence now and is showing the abilities that was expected he would develop. Bradley continues to improve and is easily (in my opinion) the best player on the team. With the supporting cast of the front 6, a cohesive back line, with a world class keeper backstopping and I feel this team is going to be a tough out for any team in the world. This team has transformed into a much better team since the Belgium smack down and has been excelling and getting better ever since.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:28 pm

Rylan wrote:
WDWBurghGooner wrote:

Jozy has matured a great amount since his first USMNT appearance. He is a commanding presence now and is showing the abilities that was expected he would develop. Bradley continues to improve and is easily (in my opinion) the best player on the team. With the supporting cast of the front 6, a cohesive back line, with a world class keeper backstopping and I feel this team is going to be a tough out for any team in the world. This team has transformed into a much better team since the Belgium smack down and has been excelling and getting better ever since.

I feel like Bradley has been the most important player on this team since WC 2010 maybe even earlier.

I guess I'll be watching some Sunderland games this season to watch Jozy. As well, AZ if they are ever on tv. Howard is very good but he does seem to have problems with shots from distance more and more. The examples that come to mind are more for Everton than the U.S. Klinsmann has made them much harder to beat. Plus, the team has a never say die attitude as evidenced by all the comebacks and late wins. That is something you can't fake and will be invaluable come next summer.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:41 pm

The MLS website has a list of the longest win streaks in international history: http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/08/15/usmnt-just-four-wins-away-setting-new-world-record-longest-winning-streak-na If the US wins out in qualifying, they'll set the record at 16. It's certainly doable, but I think the streak ends in Costa Rica--the US always has trouble on the road against them.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:51 pm

That is pretty incredible by the Americans. The record is most definitely reachable and at the same time I agree with your thoughts about Costa Rica.

That said, this team has shown something that is for sure. I really don't want to go against them.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rocco on Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:01 pm

Talent would really, really help things though, especially against the world-class strikers.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:06 pm

Rocco wrote:

Talent would really, really help things though, especially against the world-class strikers.

Goes without saying.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:34 pm

If anybody wants to make some predictions for ish and giggles:

Title: Citeh

Relegation: Stoke, Hull, Palace

Champions League: Madrid
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:32 pm

The US Team has been pretty good at being better than the sum of its parts for quite some time now. I still think the quarters is the best they can hope for, though. Nothing to sneer at, of course.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby largegarlic on Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:36 pm

WDWBurghGooner wrote:If anybody wants to make some predictions for ish and giggles:

Title: Citeh

Relegation: Stoke, Hull, Palace

Champions League: Madrid

Title: Chelsea

Relegated: Hull, Crystal Palace, West Brom

Champions League: I'll go a little off the board and pick PSG
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR