LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2016 Euros)

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby Rocco on Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:37 am

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... ier-league

"I got an explanation from the fourth official, saying if he'd allowed the second phase of play –where we scored – to stand he could not have booked their player," said Rodgers. "It was disappointing, a poor decision because you want to let the game flow and Luis's was clever play. It didn't help us."

Martin Atkinson doesn't know the rules. You can play advantage and book a player, you just can't send him off.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:42 am

What BS.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:17 pm

largegarlic wrote:I was also thinking, if Spurs and Everton end up drawing, Arsenal will be 5 points clear at the top of the table. Do you think Arsenal has what it takes to win the league this year?

Based upon all of the action I've seen this year across the BPL, I definitely think so. Lack of depth behind Giroud seems to be a possible concern, I guess? But the quality of the midfielders is pretty difficult for anyone to match.

A win next weekend would go a long way towards solidifying any thoughts that Arsenal are a title contender/favorite.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:20 pm

I'd love for Rosicky to win another title.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:31 pm

I thought Rosicky looked really strong yesterday. His tenacity on the ball seemed to be contagious.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby largegarlic on Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:19 pm

Kraftster wrote:
largegarlic wrote:I was also thinking, if Spurs and Everton end up drawing, Arsenal will be 5 points clear at the top of the table. Do you think Arsenal has what it takes to win the league this year?

Based upon all of the action I've seen this year across the BPL, I definitely think so. Lack of depth behind Giroud seems to be a possible concern, I guess? But the quality of the midfielders is pretty difficult for anyone to match.

A win next weekend would go a long way towards solidifying any thoughts that Arsenal are a title contender/favorite.

Yeah, I was thinking a Giroud injury could be devastating. The big 3 seem to be 3-4 deep in world-class strikers.

I did look at their schedule too, and while they've beaten Spurs and Liverpool already (both at home), they haven't played any of the big 3. A couple losses in those games could bring them back to the pack.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kraftster on Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:30 pm

Although, Walcott played as a central striker for a stretch last year and always says he wants to play there. He scored fairly prolifically during that stretch last year. Then his signing was finalized and he was moved right back to the wing, ha. With any type of long-term injury to Giroud, I'd think that would be the move.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:54 pm

Rocco wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/nov/02/arsenal-liverpool-premier-league

"I got an explanation from the fourth official, saying if he'd allowed the second phase of play –where we scored – to stand he could not have booked their player," said Rodgers. "It was disappointing, a poor decision because you want to let the game flow and Luis's was clever play. It didn't help us."

Martin Atkinson doesn't know the rules. You can play advantage and book a player, you just can't send him off.

It was a quick-kick after a whistle, it wasn't an advantage call though. There was no advantage to play.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:13 pm

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Avyran on Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:49 pm

Ladies and gentlemen, your weekly (well, every Champions League round) Ashley Young dive!
Avyran
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:53 pm

It's a shame that one of Arsenal, Dortmund, and Napoli will miss the 2nd round.

Oh, and:

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:56 am

Kraftster wrote:Heeeey Portland Timbers! We salute you!
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:10 am

Kraftster wrote:

Wow. Mens against boys.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Loaf31 on Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:11 am

Kraftster wrote:
Kraftster wrote:

Wow. Mens against boys.

I really want to get into the MLS, but I cannot get into a team. I tried Columbus, but they suck. I've been following Seattle but since Dempsey came along, that is the popular team in America.
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kraftster on Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:51 am

Just be a turncoat. PT are so fun to watch. Nagbe could give them some USMNT storylines, and Mix too if he lands there (though not sure where he fits with Valeri, Chara, Nagbe). That atmosphere last night was amazing. Noise level to rival anyone.

The game starting at 11:25 was a little ridiculous, though.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Loaf31 on Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:32 am

Yea it did look pretty sweet last night. Portland has some sweet kits too. They are definitely who I am pulling for now.

I am 100% getting MLS Direct Kick next season
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Avyran on Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:59 pm

What an utterly awful penalty call by the ref in the West Brom / Chelsea game. Mourinho's undefeated record at Stamford Bridge saved by a horrible dive.

--- Edit: The dive... You can see Ramires lean into the WBA player and start to fall down even before contact.
Avyran
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:22 pm

How does Andre Marriner continue to get work?
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:28 pm

oy...
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby largegarlic on Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:58 pm

That PK for Chelsea was awful. Ramires ran into the defender more than the other way around. The consolation is that a home draw against West Brom is still pretty bad for Chelsea.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:04 pm

I watched the RSL v. LA Galaxy game the other night (Portland/Seattle was too late for me). The conditions made the game kind of scrappy, but there was plenty of tension and drama.

I'm pulling for RSL, Portland, or KC to win the MLS Cup. Houston is still a little too old-school MLS--very physical, reliant on wingers whipping crosses in to a big forward, reliant on set-pieces, etc. The other three kind of represent the potential of what MLS can become--great home crowds, up-tempo, possession-based styles, a mix of promising/already good US players and underrated foreigners, etc.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:10 pm

I'm watching Norwich/West Ham, and it occurred to me that the middle-class in the EPL is much smaller this year (at least so far). I'd say there are more title contenders than usual: Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City, Spurs, and Man U (I'm not counting them out yet).

On the flip side, there are lots of teams that seem like they could/should be relegated: Sunderland, Crystal Palace, Stoke, Fulham, Norwich, Hull, Cardiff, and West Ham. All of these teams look pretty terrible on a regular basis.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GaryRissling on Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:20 pm

largegarlic wrote:I watched the RSL v. LA Galaxy game the other night (Portland/Seattle was too late for me). The conditions made the game kind of scrappy, but there was plenty of tension and drama.

I'm pulling for RSL, Portland, or KC to win the MLS Cup. Houston is still a little too old-school MLS--very physical, reliant on wingers whipping crosses in to a big forward, reliant on set-pieces, etc. The other three kind of represent the potential of what MLS can become--great home crowds, up-tempo, possession-based styles, a mix of promising/already good US players and underrated foreigners, etc.

I typically enjoy the MLS playoffs, especially this year, where it seems the final teams all have good to outstanding fan support.

LA lost the the RSL tie when they actively traded a proven performer for a guy who was crap in his prime. No doubt in my mind LA advances if they still had Magee.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GaryRissling on Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:24 pm

... And this might be for a different thread, but how 'bout them riverhounds? Making some pretty serious moves in the offseason.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:38 pm

GaryRissling wrote:... And this might be for a different thread, but how 'bout them riverhounds? Making some pretty serious moves in the offseason.

What were the moves?
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR