LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World Cup)

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby GaryRissling on Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:50 pm

WDWBurghGooner wrote:
GaryRissling wrote:... And this might be for a different thread, but how 'bout them riverhounds? Making some pretty serious moves in the offseason.

What were the moves?

They signed a couple of their better players (I believe one was MVP or leading scorer of USL) to "real money" contracts (something like $100,000 over two years, which isn't bad for USL), and brought in Joseph Ngwenya from DC United. They have a new primary owner who seems set on making a run at turning the Riverhounds into an MLS candidate w/in 5-7 years. There's supposed to be another announcement soon as well.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:20 pm

GaryRissling wrote:
WDWBurghGooner wrote:
GaryRissling wrote:... And this might be for a different thread, but how 'bout them riverhounds? Making some pretty serious moves in the offseason.

What were the moves?

They signed a couple of their better players (I believe one was MVP or leading scorer of USL) to "real money" contracts (something like $100,000 over two years, which isn't bad for USL), and brought in Joseph Ngwenya from DC United. They have a new primary owner who seems set on making a run at turning the Riverhounds into an MLS candidate w/in 5-7 years. There's supposed to be another announcement soon as well.

That's pretty cool. I'm torn on whether I want Pittsburgh to get an MLS team. Obviously, I'd like it for personal reasons--I'd be more into the Riverhounds and more into MLS, if it happened. However, I'm just not sure Pittsburgh is a good market, at least in comparison to other rumored expansion cities (e.g. Miami, Atlanta) and ownership groups (e.g. Team Beckham, Arthur Blank, owner of Home Depot and the Falcons, the Man City owners, etc.). I want to see MLS continue to grow and raise its level, and I'm not sure adding Pittsburgh will contribute as much to that as other markets.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GaryRissling on Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:34 pm

Well, it seems that in order to be on the mls radar, as Orlando has done, is to average ~7,000 for USL games. The hounds would have to expand, and they've spoken about doing it incrementally beginning with the steel army section, then building up and wrapping the grandstand around the corners.

If they are able to accomplish these things, it's fair to say that Pittsburgh would stand a reasonable chance of supporting an MLS team.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:42 am

Newcastle keeper Tim Krul has been unbelieveable today against Spurs.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Avyran on Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:20 pm

Another 4-4-2 day for Man United, with Kagawa being on the left... which means he'll be roaming into the middle again, leaving the left flank open.

As strange as it is to say, I think maybe selling Rooney would've brought balance to this team (and maybe a better CDM than Fellaini). Or, if nothing else, they should try a 4-1-2-1-2 formation: Carrick as CDM, Valencia & Nani/whoever as wingers, Kagawa as attacking midfielder, Rooney & Van Persie as strikers. I do think this leaves their midfield kinda weaker, but it better fits the roster. Moyes seems stuck on his formation, though.

How would you guys make the formation for United?

(Edit: Only said Rooney because of how many times he's apparently asked for a transfer.)
Avyran
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Avyran on Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:29 pm

Also, how this did not go in is beyond me, haha. Great play by Krul + the defenseman (not sure who... maybe Yanga-MBia or whoever?):
Avyran
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:07 pm

Playing scared
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:05 pm

2nd best today
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:12 pm

1 Arsenal 25
2 Liverpool 23
3 Southampton 22
4 Chelsea 21
5 Manchester United 20
6 Everton 20
7 Tottenham Hotspur 20
8 Manchester City 19
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:51 am

not even fair/possible under the laws of physics
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:07 am

Getting Angulo and Dallman to sign was great. Ngwenya will be very good in that league.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:11 am

Gaucho wrote:Newcastle keeper Tim Krul has been unbelieveable today against Spurs.

The second-half of that match was just absolutely stellar. On the heels of the Chelsea victory too.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Ossa on Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:14 pm

pfim wrote:

Getting Angulo and Dallman to sign was great. Ngwenya will be very good in that league.

Ngwenya is a great get for the Hounds. Angulo was the MVP last year while Ngwenya was 3rd in MVP voting, so they are all set at forward . He has quite a bit of MLS experience. Even, Jurgen Klinsmann had him train with Bayern Munich for 3 weeks where he played against Dortmund in a German Supercup game.

Hounds also signed defensive MF Anthony Obodai last week. He also has some MLS experience and has started in a few UEFA Champion League matches with Ajax.

With the recent signings I see the team doing well this season. The Hounds owner tweeted that the next announcement will be the biggest in club history. Perhaps Freddy Adu or DeRo is on the radar? Pure speculation on my part, but I'm excited to hear what the announcement is going to be.
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GaryRissling on Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:17 pm

I can't say enough about how much I enjoyed going to some games last season and am really looking forward to this season as well.

I liked the play of #2 in the midfield (I think I read he's from the Everton system/Liverpool). It seemed like in most games I went to, he was the first sub off when hounds had the lead, which they subsequently blew. Not a big fan of their keeper though it seems he has a good reputation.

Oh, and we are all Kiwi's today.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:27 pm

Jordan vs Uruguay 0-5
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby IamtheWaris on Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:00 pm

Good call Platini, we need more Asian clubs in the World Cup.
IamtheWaris
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Ossa on Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:16 pm

GaryRissling wrote:I can't say enough about how much I enjoyed going to some games last season and am really looking forward to this season as well.

I liked the play of #2 in the midfield (I think I read he's from the Everton system/Liverpool). It seemed like in most games I went to, he was the first sub off when hounds had the lead, which they subsequently blew. Not a big fan of their keeper though it seems he has a good reputation.

Oh, and we are all Kiwi's today.

Rob Vincent is the man. He was one of my favorites from this season. As for their goalie Hunter Gilstrap, he has done well with the team in the past. His stats are fine. I think the bigger problem was with our defense. Hopefully, the team strengthens the back line.
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:12 pm

Ossa wrote:
pfim wrote:

Ngwenya is a great get for the Hounds. Angulo was the MVP last year while Ngwenya was 3rd in MVP voting, so they are all set at forward . He has quite a bit of MLS experience. Even, Jurgen Klinsmann had him train with Bayern Munich for 3 weeks where he played against Dortmund in a German Supercup game.

Hounds also signed defensive MF Anthony Obodai last week. He also has some MLS experience and has started in a few UEFA Champion League matches with Ajax.

With the recent signings I see the team doing well this season. The Hounds owner tweeted that the next announcement will be the biggest in club history. Perhaps Freddy Adu or DeRo is on the radar? Pure speculation on my part, but I'm excited to hear what the announcement is going to be.

No word on when the announcement will be made?
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ossa on Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:16 pm

No idea.
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:21 pm

Are they completing "Phase 1" of the expanison for 2014?
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:15 pm

Ossa wrote:

From what I've read Adu isnt even considering NASL teams at this point.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:19 pm

I'm somewhat shocked that Adu is only 24.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:33 pm

I doubt it is Adu or DeRo. Both would be taking a huge decline in salary if they sign here. I heard there were some Mexican clubs possibly interested in Adu.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:10 pm

Man, these playoffs are exciting. 4-0 Mexico with 5 minutes to go.

5-1 now.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:45 am

Gaucho wrote:Man, these playoffs are exciting. 4-0 Mexico with 5 minutes to go.

5-1 now.

Friday's games should be better
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR