LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2016 Euros)

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby Avyran on Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:16 am

I wish Everton had the means to buy Lukaku. He's playing so well there, and it would mean Chelsea don't have him, haha. Everton v. Southampton is a fun one to watch, particularly the second half so far.

This season has fast made me lose interest in Manchester United, though. Not because of their weaker record, but because of the style that Moyes is using. The 4-4-2 (IMO) just does not work for their roster, yet he keeps forcing it in: using Kagawa and Welbeck as left midfielders, Cleverley & Giggs as central midfield, etc. I'm a big fan of Valencia, Hernandez, Kagawa, and many of the other players that have become fringe / rotation on the team. Ferguson was really, really good at maximizing the capability of the players on the team (making Hernandez a super-sub, using Scholes, Giggs, or Park in roles that fit them, etc). Don't know if Moyes has that same capability... especially at United. He had a good system at Everton, but Martinez is making that team thrive.

Thing is, I don't even know who they could bring in to fix this debacle of a roster. They need strong central midfielders. Carrick is their only one, I think, as Jones is a good marker & defensive midfielder but not good at controlling the flow of the game.
Avyran
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pfim on Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:47 am

Avyran wrote:I wish Everton had the means to buy Lukaku. He's playing so well there, and it would mean Chelsea don't have him, haha. Everton v. Southampton is a fun one to watch, particularly the second half so far.

Me too. Though I don't think it's just about money, he'll be at Chelsea next season. I don't think Mourinho really wanted him to go on loan again.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:53 am

I never understood the Lukaku loan this year with Torres, Eto'o, and Ba as the options. What was at play there?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:03 am

Stupidity.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pfim on Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:54 am

Kraftster wrote:I never understood the Lukaku loan this year with Torres, Eto'o, and Ba as the options. What was at play there?

Lukaku thought he wouldn't get much playing time with all those experienced-types. I think he pushed it through, Mourinho didn't exactly want him to go.

He's still a bit raw but his effectiveness can't be questioned.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rocco on Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:23 pm

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... ter-united

Howard Webb had a chance to award a penalty at Old Trafford and didn't give it? The world may be spinning off its axis at this point.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby GaryRissling on Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:27 pm

Ashley young not getting a penalty call on one of the rare honest times he's hit the deck when in the immediate vicinity of an opposition player is the very definition of the types of calls that even out over the course of season.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pfim on Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:37 pm

Rocco wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/01/david-moyes-tottenham-hugo-lloris-manchester-united

Howard Webb had a chance to award a penalty at Old Trafford and didn't give it? The world may be spinning off its axis at this point.

Not that I care, but it was truly a bizarre no call and Lloris was all over the place in that match. The ridiculous yellow that Januzaj got for "diving" might have been a worse call.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:40 pm

pfim wrote:
Kraftster wrote:I never understood the Lukaku loan this year with Torres, Eto'o, and Ba as the options. What was at play there?

Lukaku thought he wouldn't get much playing time with all those experienced-types. I think he pushed it through, Mourinho didn't exactly want him to go.

He's still a bit raw but his effectiveness can't be questioned.

That makes sense then, I guess.

He's definitely still raw. His effort also seems to be a bit up and down. I notice a lot of indignant reactions or sulks from him in some games where he's not getting service, but other times he just seems to put his head down and do his work. Noticing someone other than Tim Howard with indignant reactions on Everton, now that's something.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rocco on Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:58 pm

pfim wrote:
Rocco wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/01/david-moyes-tottenham-hugo-lloris-manchester-united

Not that I care, but it was truly a bizarre no call and Lloris was all over the place in that match. The ridiculous yellow that Januzaj got for "diving" might have been a worse call.

I was flipping back and forth but every time I saw Spurs Lloris was trying to give away a goal.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:03 am

Ole-Gunnar Solskjaer is the new coach of Cardiff City. This is terrible. Solskjaer is one of my all-time favorite players, but I find rooting for Cardiff to be downright impossible.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:27 am

Gaucho wrote:Ole-Gunnar Solskjaer is the new coach of Cardiff City. This is terrible. Solskjaer is one of my all-time favorite players, but I find rooting for Cardiff to be downright impossible.

Because of Tan I assume?
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:19 am

slappybrown wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Ole-Gunnar Solskjaer is the new coach of Cardiff City. This is terrible. Solskjaer is one of my all-time favorite players, but I find rooting for Cardiff to be downright impossible.

Because of Tan I assume?

Yes.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:21 am

Gaucho wrote:
slappybrown wrote:

Because of Tan I assume?

Yes.

I hate to root against a relative minnow because they had a clown parachute in and buy the team. Particularly where he's destroyed the traditions of the club that the supporters never wanted changed. It's not the club's fault.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Avyran on Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:32 pm

FA Cup weekend. Arsenal versus Tottenham is on at 12:15 (Saturday) on Fox.

Fox Sports 1 will also have 4 other games... 2 on Saturday (Blackburn v. Man City, Rochdale v. Leeds), 2 on Sunday (Derby v. Chelsea, Man U v. Swansea).

Just a quick fyi; I was just checking to see what games were on this weekend.
Avyran
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Loaf31 on Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:44 pm

Avyran wrote:FA Cup weekend. Arsenal versus Tottenham is on at 12:15 (Saturday) on Fox.

Fox Sports 1 will also have 4 other games... 2 on Saturday (Blackburn v. Man City, Rochdale v. Leeds), 2 on Sunday (Derby v. Chelsea, Man U v. Swansea).

Just a quick fyi; I was just checking to see what games were on this weekend.

I thought that the LFC/Oldham match was on Fox Soccer Plus on Sunday as well?
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:35 am

I completely forgot about this blackburn match until the last 10 minutes or so...must have been awesome. :scared: Is City really bad this year, I haven't been following EPL.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Avyran on Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:32 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I completely forgot about this blackburn match until the last 10 minutes or so...must have been awesome. :scared: Is City really bad this year, I haven't been following EPL.

City's nearly invincible at home. But they're really, really inconsistent away from home. It's weird; I think they have the most talent in the Premier League, but they just never keep it going. The race should be between them & Chelsea, I think.

And, once again, Manchester United falls, this time to Swansea. Kagawa played on the wing and Welbeck as a second striker for most of the game. There was an article a bit ago that talked about how United has the most failed crosses in the EPL by a large margin, and Gary Neville has been critical of United's system as well, saying the forwards are not getting enough support.

They shoulda signed Mourinho or Martinez when they had the chance...
Avyran
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Avyran on Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:38 pm

Also, really interesting moment for ref Mike Dean. Called an advantage during the game, then was visibly upset when Swansea gave up the ball.

https://vine.co/v/hYHMgTqnbDl

Good explanation on Reddit, though:
Dean clearly realizes he's made a mistake by putting up his hands and calling out the advantage too early. Once he's done that he's not supposed to bring it back. For advantage you are usually supposed to wait 2-3 seconds before putting the hands forward and calling it out. To avoid this exact situation.
Avyran
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Loaf31 on Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:43 pm

Walcott out with a torn ACL. They're saying 6 months out, but that is pushing the timeframe...more likely 9 months.

Big blow to Arsenal and England
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kraftster on Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:46 pm

Ugh, just saw that news.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IamtheWaris on Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:55 pm

Who do Arsenal buy now? No chance even Wenger ignores the huge void they have at CF. Maybe they take a stab at Benteke even though he is out of form?
IamtheWaris
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:29 pm

Walcott was out for 3 months early this year, tough blow to be sure but it can be managed.

I doubt Wenger is interested in Benteke but I have no idea what he is going to do. I was convinced he was gonna do nothing. The latest rumors are Mandžukić (Bayern won't sell) and Diego Costa (told Atletico he won't move in January). Pato and Morata were the rumors about a month ago.

There's also a lot of interest in Draxler. He was the German people thought Wenger was bidding on before it was revealed to be Ozil. Some people feel he could be converted to play as a CF.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kraftster on Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:04 pm

Hope Diego Costa isn't dead. I read a few rumors on Michy Batshuayi, though it sounded like he might be loaned back to Standard Liege, and that's obviously not a move that is on par with a Diego Costa, Mandzukic, Draxler move.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:16 pm

Kraftster wrote:Hope Diego Costa isn't dead. I read a few rumors on Michy Batshuayi, though it sounded like he might be loaned back to Standard Liege, and that's obviously not a move that is on par with a Diego Costa, Mandzukic, Draxler move.

Today, on the Guardian Football Weekly Podcast, Sid Lowe (Spanish Correspondent), said that Costa has told Atletico that he has no interest in moving anywhere.

I also heard some faint rumors about Michy Batshuayi that didn't really excite me.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR