The Pro Wrestling Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: The Pro Wrestling Thread

Postby CERV96 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:35 am

Wasn't wrestlemania 2 in 3 different locations as well?

Glad I went to a party and paid a donation of $20 for food and cost of the ppv
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby skullman80 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:46 am

Yeah WM2 was, an interesting idea, but it hurt the show. Plus most of the matches were awful.

Like I said I'm not saying last nights show was great, but to call it one of the worst 5 WM's ever, is just beyond silly. There have been some really bad WM's over the past 29 years.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:50 am

skullman80 wrote:Yeah WM2 was, an interesting idea, but it hurt the show. Plus most of the matches were awful.

Like I said I'm not saying last nights show was great, but to call it one of the worst 5 WM's ever, is just beyond silly. There have been some [b]really bad WM's over the past 29 years.[/b]

One of them was last night. It just wasn't very good. The crowd was almost completely dead for the last 2 matches and the title match was awful, just awful. No risks, just finish after finish after finish after finish. I wish they'd save finishers for the actual end of the match, false finishes don't even surprise anyone any longer. I remember being a kid and if someone got jack knifed powerbombed twice, or superkicked twice, or broke out of the sharpshooter and then was put back in that it was world bending. Like the person that got up after that stuff was a tough mfer but after the 2nd finisher they were not getting up. Finishers don't even have meaning anymore.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby skullman80 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:59 am

I just agree to disagree on the overall of the show. It wasn't great by any means, but I enjoyed most of it. I knew the booking would suck, so I went in with that mindset and that the top 3 matches pretty much had iron clad outcomes with Taker/HHH/Cena winning. It wasn't even the worst wrestlemania of the past 5 years, Wm27 gets that honor. I know you didn't like Taker/Punk but that match salvaged the show for me and took it from fair territory, to an ok show. I really enjoyed that match and watching those two work.

Agree on the finisher thing, you can do false finishes without doing finishers over and over and be just as effective.

Now I'm not saying we shouldn't expect Wrestlemania to be better, cause well we should its the biggest show of the year, but it is what it is. Still not one of the worst 5 WM's ever, not by a long shot.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:05 am

Reading through the results, man am I happy I didn't waste $70 on this PPV. I've ordered it the last several years but it just didn't feel right this time.

Unfortunately, this is the new WWE. They simply aren't willing to even remotely risk commercial success by throwing in historic swerves or story lines. It obviously isn't hurting their business (I think I read the gate set a record), but it certainly makes the on-air product less interesting. Sure, some of the matches can be quite entertaining, but when the surrounding story isn't compelling, it's much harder to stay interested.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:14 am

skullman80 wrote:I just agree to disagree on the overall of the show. It wasn't great by any means, but I enjoyed most of it. I knew the booking would suck, so I went in with that mindset and that the top 3 matches pretty much had iron clad outcomes with Taker/HHH/Cena winning. It wasn't even the worst wrestlemania of the past 5 years, Wm27 gets that honor. I know you didn't like Taker/Punk but that match salvaged the show for me and took it from fair territory, to an ok show. I really enjoyed that match and watching those two work.

Agree on the finisher thing, you can do false finishes without doing finishers over and over and be just as effective.

Now I'm not saying we shouldn't expect Wrestlemania to be better, cause well we should its the biggest show of the year, but it is what it is. Still not one of the worst 5 WM's ever, not by a long shot.

I'll defer to you on that one because you def. have more viewing time with this. I'll settle on just saying it was a very average to bad show. The final 2 "main event" matches had little to no effective build. Punk/Taker had good build because of the Paul Bearer death but I also think that Punk is good enough that even if that hadn't happened it still would have been an effective build. You just felt actual emotion with that build.

HHH/Lesnar and Rock/Cena had a very poor build. HHH/Lesnar just didn't feel real, there was no emotion. Vince taking a bump and being in the hospital isn't something we haven't seen before or even something unexpected. Then the build centered around Lesnar(Heyman) and HHH talking at different times without ever really encountering each other. It started out good with Brock opening up the hard way and then floundered from there. The whole "you retire" thing felt so forced and didn't feel real at all. If they did a proper build, and HHH/Lesnar actually worked a couple matches before hand it might have worked. Like say HHH signs that contract a month before Mania, finds out his career is on the line, acts like a cocky SOB then works a couple matches and loses to the likes of say Jericho, Swagger, Ziggler, and then refuses to work the show before Mania showing some sort of cowardice it would have boosted those other guys for their matches. While at the same time having Lesnar win against guys like Ryback, Henry, Beej it would have actually felt like there was emotion and HHH was worried about losing. I guess that's pipe dreaming b/c HHH would never let those guys go over and Lesnar isn't working regular matches but they should have done something to build.

Rock/Cena just didn't work because Rock wasn't around. Cena had to try and build a feud almost by himself which just doesn't work. Their animosity this year didn't feel real at all. Last year it felt like they really didn't like each other. In truth the Cena "heel" turn would have saved all that and good God they left enough time out there for it but every chance he had to turn bad, every opportunity to make it interesting, was never seized.

It's still enjoyable but yeah like you said for the biggest event of the year fans expect a lot and this did not deliver.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby skullman80 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:28 am

Yeah the builds were lackluster for HHH/Lesnar and Rock/Cena.

Plus you had the whole "Once in a lifetime" thing from last year, that obviously wasn't the case this year. We had already seen Rock/Cena wrestle, and last years match wasn't even that great, and now we get to see them again? Plus the whole notion that they played Cena up as an underdog story and all that **** just made the build awful. No one but 12 year olds bought that Cena was the underdog. They had the chance to pull the trigger on something huge, and they fail to do it with Cena going heel. I don't know why they are so afraid, but whatever. Hell Cena would probably get cheered more if they turned him because most of the audience who hates him now would love him then.

The problem I have with Lesnar/HHH was this. First off you know HHH was gonna get his win back. Honestly though in kayfabe it made sense for HHH to win, because he had been beaten up the entire feud, had his arm broken twice, had his friends and family be injured by Lesnar. I mean booking 101 says the heel needs to get his in a match eventually. That being said, the whole HHH career on the line stipulation made no sense because the guy only wrestles at best twice a year, so why should the fans care if he has to retire. Just stupid. Secondly you bring in Lesnar, and you have him lose 2 of his 3 big PPV matches. He's brought in as this monster, and you book him like a jobber on your PPV's. How is ANYONE supposed to feel he is a viable threat for a title at this point? They booked themselves into a corner there, but that is no ones fault but WWE's.

WWE Has alot of young talent, but they keep building main events around guys who have been there for 10+ years. They need to elevate people, but they are so friggin afraid to do it. I mean I know not everyone likes Ziggler, but you know why the fans don't buy into him and why he doesn't get huge reactions?. THE GUY NEVER WINS. He's booked to loose. They know he can sell for people and make them look like a million bucks so they use him to make other people look good. That make him look like a loser, and makes no one want to invest in him cashing in that briefcase, cause honestly they way they book him, youl'd expect him to cash in and lose. That's how awful he's been booked.

Too many start and stop pushes is what WWE does, they are hot on a guy for a few weeks, then you don't see them for weeks after that. Then they go back to the old faithful guys and just do the same **** over and over.

Rant over....
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:03 pm

skullman80 wrote:
JS© wrote:How was 1 and 2 a bad Mania?

The shows themselves are pretty bad. I know nostalgia and all, but go back and actually try to watch them. They aren't very good, especially 2.

I remember enjoying the original Mania, but I was also 12 at the time :lol:

Looking back at the WM2 card, it was bad. Not in the worst 5 WMs ever, but it's further down there than I thought. What I didn't realize is that half of the matches (12 total) were 5 minutes or shorter.

* Moolah vs Velvet McIntryre went 1:25. Yeah, not exactly a classic
* Cpl Kirchner def. Nikolai Volkoff in 2:05. As quick as it was to grab a beer and get back to the couch, it was over.
* Adrian Adonis def. Uncle Elmer 3:01. I didn't even remember this match being on the card
* Jake The Snake def George Wells in 3:15. Who? Exactly. I think Wells lasted a year in the WWF, whose most notable thing was a few victories over Lanny Poffo and throwing up after the match.
* Paul Orndorff and Don Muraco, double countout in 4:10 in the opening match. Without even watching that match, it doesn't sound like much happened.

Now that I look back it and see that maybe 2-3 of the matches were notable, maybe it wasn't as good as I thought. Damn you nostalgia. :(
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Spangler on Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:17 pm

Would you say the epic Cena/Punk match on Raw a month or two ago was better than the big 3 matches at Mania?
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DudeMan2766 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:18 pm

Spangler wrote:Would you say the epic Cena/Punk match on Raw a month or two ago was better than the big 3 matches at Mania?

I definately would
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:32 pm

Spangler wrote:Would you say the epic Cena/Punk match on Raw a month or two ago was better than the big 3 matches at Mania?

Yes.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby skullman80 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:48 pm

Better than Cena/Rock yes, better than HHH/Lesnar yes.

Punk/Taker I really liked. It wasn't on Taker/HBK level, but I enjoyed it.

Cena/Punk have really good chemistry though, so that match was really really good, and was a PPV quality match on a Raw.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby nocera on Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:02 pm

Yes for sure, which makes it even more frustrating that they didn't go with Cena/Punk at mania. That place would've been electric.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby nocera on Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:03 pm

Also, I just want to stick up for WM 8. It gets a bad rap because of no Hogan/Flair but outside of the main event, that was a great show. Hart/Piper is an amazing match, as is Flair/Savage.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:10 pm

Oh the belt's side plates have been changed. "u can't see me" logo on one side, "cena nation" on the other.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kovy27 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:30 pm

Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby nocera on Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:33 pm

That looks even sillier than the brahma bulls. I'd much rather have this:

nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Cagsjr724 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:46 pm

So The Rock apparently walked out on the WWE. Its on ewrestlingnews.com. sorry I can't post the link from my phone.
Cagsjr724
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:49 pm

Wow

http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news/15624/breaking-news-the-rock-walks-out-on-wwe

There is panic backstage at RAW right now. The show was scheduled to build to a segment where Brock Lesnar beat up Rock to set up next year's WrestleMania main event. The problem: Rock is not there and has reportedly gone home. Vince McMahon, the writers and producers are in the process of redoing the show, evidently believing the angle has been nixed. Nobody knows any details as to what happened past that. As of this time, the belief is that The Rock is not appearing.

Also, there is a second major angle tonight to set up the main feud going forward and the Extreme Rules main event involving John Cena's next title defense. Word is that it is one of the things that has been planned for some time and was actually scheduled before Mania.

More details as they come…
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JS© on Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:18 pm

Cagsjr724 wrote:So The Rock apparently walked out on the WWE. Its on ewrestlingnews.com. sorry I can't post the link from my phone.

But I thought Rock was "never, ever, ever going anywhere" :pop:
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:19 pm

Kovy27 wrote:Image

That makes the belt look like a friggen toy
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JS© on Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:44 pm

I hate the shape of it. I see the front of it and I keep expecting to see the Kings logo in the middle
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:49 pm

Haha. Rock was like F this garbage I'm going home. I wonder if they will bury him like they did Austin when he walked out in 02.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:50 pm

Raw will be interesting now for sure.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:15 pm

If this is true, I wonder if Vince gives anybody the green light to rip into Dwayne the movie star.

JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR