The Pro Wrestling Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: The Pro Wrestling Thread

Postby She'sTheFastest on Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:30 pm

Brock Lesnar will most likely be the Undertaker's opponent for WM XXX. So once again, you will have a guy who wrestles once a year and is by all intents and purposes retired beat a muscled-out meathead to highlight the show. Of course the same could be said of Bryan and Sheamus minus the retired part.
She'sTheFastest
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby skullman80 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:35 pm

I'm fine with Lesnar/Taker if they let them have a stiff brawl. I know it won't be like their HIAC match where they bled buckets, but if Taker is up to it they could have a very good match I would think.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:41 pm

I just think theres no way Undertaker could handle a real Brock match. Lesner at times needs to manhandle his opponent and I can't imagine the undertaker is in the shape to take that.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby skullman80 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:46 pm

Taker wrestles once a year, he can man up and do a stiff brawl lol. Then he can go back into hiding for another 364 days.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Cagsjr724 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:46 pm

I am really bummed out about punk quitting but I don't blame him at all. This will be the first time in years I won't be watching WrestleMania. My intrest in WWE is at an all time low. Spending 90 dollars on a ticket for the royal rumble and it being a huge disappointment plus punk quitting has me not intrested anymore.
Cagsjr724
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby She'sTheFastest on Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:02 pm

I would imagine the WWE lost at least a few 1000 fans after Sunday. You cannot jerk around your audience like that and not expect some kind of fallout. A lot of times guys can say "I quit watching wrestling when..." and I would imagine the RR will be a pinpoint for a lot of people.
She'sTheFastest
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby CERV96 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:41 pm

It's a crap move to the fans I get that but maybe he is also doing it for the fans? It showed on Sundays crowd reaction. For guys that travel almost 365 days a year and then to get pushed aside to the mid card of the biggest PPV of the year. I don't blame them. I am also seeing wrestlers on twitter saying to not give up on your opinions. Which means some guys are in agreement with Punk whatever those issues may be.

I have also heard a lack of communication within the company in general on how the drop in money is going to effect pay per view pay offs in contracts with the network release. This goes from the wrestlers to all of the day to day office people at WWE headquarters. There was a supposed meeting management was supposed to have but it has yet to happen. I heard somewhere that this may have something to do with it as well.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby JS© on Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:43 pm

If somebody asked me to sell them on the WWE, I'm not sure I could right now. One of the top stars is believed to be gone, another is held back despite the crowd yelling his name in matches that he's not involved in. Your "top two" stars are booed by the crowd regularly; one being the real face of the company, and the other being "the face of the company" that also happens to be your champion. Over the last few years, you have multiple wrestlers brought back and given head of the line privileges despite working a very limited schedule. Rock, Brock, New Age Outlaws, Batista, and now there's talk of Sting and/or Goldberg

I don't blame guys like Punk and even Ziggler for getting pissed off because of the way things are run. Work 250+ days a year, do all the promotional work, get over with the fans, none of it matters if you're not one of Hunter's boys or don't have the larger than life look.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby CERV96 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:53 pm

Royal Rumble discussion panel
Hacksaw
HBK
Flair

Rhodes and Golddust put over the NAO

Cena puts over Randy Orton

Kevin Nash is a surprise entrant in the royal rumble match

Batista wins the royal rumble match and gets a hot shot to headline the biggest ppv of the year after only working less than one week since a 4 year hiatus in where he has bashed the product and performers during that time.

Coincidence?
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby nocera on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:27 am

Wrestlemania season is supposed to be the best time to watch WWE. But ever since it became a part-timer nostalgia show, it's done nothing but hurt the product. And now with talks of Sting coming in, it only looks to get worse.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:14 am

I know everything is all PG and crap now, but I miss stuff like this every now and again. Not saying it needs to happen all the time, but for a blood feud, or at WM etc once a year this stuff has its place.

And holy crap was Lita hot. Always had a thing for her.

skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:44 am

What's so bad about Sting coming in? he's never been known for playing politics?
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:46 am

I think by most he is looked at another "old timer" coming in not working all the time taking time away from the younger guys. I think it will be cool to see him in WWE, but I don't think he's much of a wrestler anymore. I think they are just doing it so they can get him in the HOF and make a DVD and make $$$$$ off of him.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:50 am

Who knows maybe if the Punk situation is legit that may stop Sting from sigining
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:04 pm

Ryback's twitter is hilarious. He just dibsed the Pepsi Plunge, GTS, and running knee, then declared "Sheamus will probably take the rest."
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:20 pm

So apparently Vince wants punk back Triple Ego doesnt
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby nocera on Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:51 pm

SolidSnake wrote:What's so bad about Sting coming in? he's never been known for playing politics?

He's old. He's way past his prime. The time when Sting coming to WWE would've interested me was about 15 years ago.

If he is coming in to face Taker, it's another instance of a part time nostalgia act replacing a full time worker who could use the rub. How much better would it be to see Bray Wyatt against Taker? Or Ziggler? Or anyone on the current roster really. Hell, even Cena. Have Cena declare (much like HBK) that he's done it all in WWE, except face/beat the Undertaker at Wrestlemania. He's gonna get booed at Mania regardless. At least this way he's booed again Taker and not a heel.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:53 pm

Bray Watt doesn't interest me at all and comparing to Sting is an insult
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby nocera on Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:55 pm

SolidSnake wrote:Bray Watt doesn't interest me at all and comparing to Sting is an insult

I'm not at all saying Bray Wyatt = Sting. Not really sure where you got that. I'm saying there's a guy who could use a rub against Taker. Sting is Sting. He doesn't need it.

Having said that, I'm willing to bet if Sting comes back on Raw, a good 80% of the audience will have no idea who he is.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby CERV96 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:55 pm

SolidSnake wrote:So apparently Vince wants punk back Triple Ego doesnt

Vince see's money in this. As someone has stated this has more mainstream than Batista winning. Plus Punk sells the most merch with the exception of Cena. Triple H's ego doesn't want him around. Vince still makes the decisions.

The raw the week after elimination chamber is in Chicago. This could get interesting. There is evidence this is a work and there is evidence going around that this is a shoot. I guess we will have to wait and see.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:57 pm

nocera wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:Bray Watt doesn't interest me at all and comparing to Sting is an insult

I'm not at all saying Bray Wyatt = Sting. Not really sure where you got that. I'm saying there's a guy who could use a rub against Taker. Sting is Sting. He doesn't need it.

Having said that, I'm willing to bet if Sting comes back on Raw, a good 80% of the audience will have no idea who he is.

I agree with that it'll be the 25+ crowd who knows who Sting is I actually hope they wouldn't put him against Taker but I guess that would be the most obvious
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:05 pm

CERV96 wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:So apparently Vince wants punk back Triple Ego doesnt

Vince see's money in this. As someone has stated this has more mainstream than Batista winning. Plus Punk sells the most merch with the exception of Cena. Triple H's ego doesn't want him around. Vince still makes the decisions.

The raw the week after elimination chamber is in Chicago. This could get interesting. There is evidence this is a work and there is evidence going around that this is a shoot. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Yea knowing wwe this could of been planned I still am excited for wrestlemania season
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:11 pm

Can Sting still put on decent matches? The last few I saw of his in TNA were not very good at all. I honestly thought they were just bringing him in so they could get him in the HOF, get a career DVD out of him, and maybe a token match. I didn't see much beyond that.

I also enjoy Bray Wyatt. I think he's very good on the mic, and pretty good in the ring. He's improved at least. His match with Bryan at the Rumble was excellent, and I thought he held his own pretty well. I'm interested to see him develop. I also like Harper as well. Good big man offense, interesting mannerisms. Rowan I don't see much in.. he's just kind of there with his sheep mask.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:13 pm

The cynic in me wants them to actually put Orton vs Batista out in the main event at WM and totally see 70k people **** all over it completely. I think they could top WMXX when Brock and Goldberg got **** on the whole match.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby nocera on Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:14 pm

Apparently you didn't see Sting vs. Jeff Hardy at Victory Road. Five star.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR