The Pro Wrestling Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: The Pro Wrestling Thread

Postby DudeMan2766 on Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:54 pm

"@TMZ: Famed Wrestler Buff Bagwell: I'm a Successful Gigolo Now! http://tmz.me/1dpVClm "
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby slappybrown on Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:56 pm

JS© wrote:
slappybrown wrote:
TheHammer24 wrote:The guy worked for TNA. I'm not saying he doesn't have knowledge or that Creative for the WWE and TNA don't have similar approaches, but TNA is not exactly the model of story telling and he comes off as pretending to be smarter than he is, which is of course smarter than I.

Isn't TNA filled with former WWE/WCW people?

I don't see why you think he's "pretending to be smarter than he is"; he's merely recounting his own experience. It makes a lot more sense than whatever point you are trying to make, which I still don't really understand.

Upsetting the smarks is good for business. Making the smarks happy is good for business. Making the smarks bored is good for business ("boring" chants). Once you move into "smark" territory, fan retention is extremely high and less impacted by the specific happenings or storytelling. This thread is a microcosm of his point -- there are hundreds and hundreds of posts of people saying "I am so done with this" or "I can't and won't watch this crap any longer."

but there's also a point where you piss off the smarks and the people who are guaranteed buys. Those people then look to get their wrestling fix elsewhere or even walk away from it altogether. It's no different than watching a losing sports team for a number of years and seeing management screw up year after year. I'm sure each one of us can say we've walked away from the product at one point or another. What's so different in 2014 as opposed to when you walked away before?

I get what they're talking about and even agree with most of their points, but if you **** on your core crowd long enough, they too also have the potential to walk away. Some of those might not ever return.

Is there? Wrestling is so much more fluid than real sports, because a bad team is a bad team. A "bad" storyline runs it course relatively quickly, and its on to the new wrestler/story/etc. There are no 20-year streaks of sub-500 baseball in wrestling.

I think the point the author is making is doubly true now because the WWE has no real competition. If they had a WCW level competitor, then yes, the "smarks" and where their eyeballs go matter. But I don't know anyone who really watches the other minor promotions with anywhere near the intensity they watch the WWE. Where are the bulk of hard core fans going to go?
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:25 pm

slappybrown wrote:
JS© wrote:but there's also a point where you piss off the smarks and the people who are guaranteed buys. Those people then look to get their wrestling fix elsewhere or even walk away from it altogether. It's no different than watching a losing sports team for a number of years and seeing management screw up year after year. I'm sure each one of us can say we've walked away from the product at one point or another. What's so different in 2014 as opposed to when you walked away before?

I get what they're talking about and even agree with most of their points, but if you **** on your core crowd long enough, they too also have the potential to walk away. Some of those might not ever return.

Is there? Wrestling is so much more fluid than real sports, because a bad team is a bad team. A "bad" storyline runs it course relatively quickly, and its on to the new wrestler/story/etc. There are no 20-year streaks of sub-500 baseball in wrestling.

I think the point the author is making is doubly true now because the WWE has no real competition. If they had a WCW level competitor, then yes, the "smarks" and where their eyeballs go matter. But I don't know anyone who really watches the other minor promotions with anywhere near the intensity they watch the WWE. Where are the bulk of hard core fans going to go?

Away. I stopped watching for probably a 7-8 year stretch....twice. Once during the internet/youtube era and once before while in the military and in school. I found plenty of alternatives to fill my time on Monday nights.

My point is that when a person is no longer happy with a product, they either look for another alternative or dump the interest in the product altogether or maybe browse it at a very casual interest. The 20 year streak - assuming that is the Pirates - is a great example. I know friends who lost interest in the Pirates when they became a complete gong show in the late 90s. Some moved on to other teams that seemed like they were more committed to winning, and yes you can take that as bandwagoning or front-running :lol: . Others stop caring at all about baseball altogether and never came back to the ballpark. Even when the Penguins hit the dark ages of the early to mid 2000s, those same people who used to go to the arena were no where to be found during the Dick Tarnstrom Era.

I'll even admit that comparing WWE to the NHL or MLB is a bit of an apples to oranges comparison, but fielding an awful lineup with no real chance at a division title isn't much different than Creative fielding a card with a storyline(s) that has fans so frustrated that they are trying to override the show with chants or twitter campaigns to #HijackRaw.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Why Not Us on Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:53 am

I forget who shot down my theory that after some time WWE would raise the price of the network but it's being reported WWE sent out a survey gauging people's reaction to still subscribing if it was $11.99 a month.

Vindicated.
Why Not Us
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby skullman80 on Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:46 am

Why Not Us wrote:I forget who shot down my theory that after some time WWE would raise the price of the network but it's being reported WWE sent out a survey gauging people's reaction to still subscribing if it was $11.99 a month.

Vindicated.

I Have no doubt they will do it eventually, but we have at least 6 months before that happens. I didn't expect it to stay 9.99 forever.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby nocera on Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:44 pm

Also, hopefully every single person surveyed said no.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:28 pm

Just outstanding :lol:

shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:18 pm

Bryan getting beat down. Big Shows music hits. Michael Cole: "WAIT A MINUTE??......HE'S BACK!"

um, he went somewhere?
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby nocera on Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:27 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:Bryan getting beat down. Big Shows music hits. Michael Cole: "WAIT A MINUTE??......HE'S BACK!"

um, he went somewhere?

Woah. Has he not been back since the Rumble beat down?
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Spangler on Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:55 am

CM Punk is going to be on Talking Dead next week. I doubt they will mention anything about the situation, but interesting none the less.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:48 am

the attendance for TNA's Lockdown PPV

SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:54 am

I've seen indy shows run in high school gyms with a better turnout than that.. yikes.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:04 am

Yeesh...that's really bad
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:39 am

The Squared Circle subreddit has some funny stuff

http://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/200pxj/the_perfect_way_to_end_wrestlemania/

After a gruelling 45+ minute back and forth "classic", Orton has Batista in a chinlock and both are visibly drained.

Orton falls over onto his back, but manages to keep the pressure applied. Orton's shoulders are flat on the mat, but Batista finally taps at the exact moment the ref counts to three.

While everyone is arguing over who should be declared the winner, Vince's music hits and he storms out to the ring and declares that the match needs a proper winner and will restart immediately.

Before they can get going, Triple H enters the ring and says there's no need to continue the match, it already has two winners.
He then announces the de-unification of the title and hands Orton and Batista a title each.

Fireworks go off as confetti falls from the sky and Triple H's theme plays.

Orton and Batista stare each other down before suddenly grinning.

High-five.
Freeze frame.
Fade to black.

Thus Orton and Batista begin their year long reign as co-champions. Slowly building to Wrestlemania 31 where we get the highly anticipated Orton/Batista 2 for the unification of the belts.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:03 pm

My God this is pathetic.....out there for 10 seconds and already hawking the frigging network.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby She'sTheFastest on Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:10 pm

Don't know if it is common knowledge or not, but the Undertaker will be back tonight. It's in Comcast's info.
She'sTheFastest
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby She'sTheFastest on Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:10 pm

IRS should stop Bray Wyatt from attacking the Hulkster. That would be network worthy.
She'sTheFastest
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:14 pm

Ugh, this is buildup is so pathetic. Wrestlemania is so bad they are putting a Royal Rumble into it
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby skullman80 on Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:17 pm

She'sTheFastest wrote:Don't know if it is common knowledge or not, but the Undertaker will be back tonight. It's in Comcast's info.

He came back a couple weeks ago. No surprise now. ..he will mske his appearances leading up to wrestlemania.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:26 pm

JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:27 pm

They confirmed Undertaker will be on every RAW up to WM
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:29 pm

JS© wrote:
Spoiler:

Ok, this is a good one
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby She'sTheFastest on Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:43 pm

Why do the Usos and NAO have the same color clothes?
She'sTheFastest
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:46 pm

Watching RAW on recording during the period break...

OMG CENA AND HOGAN IN THING...WHATCHU GONNA DO WHEN C-NATION RUNS WILD ON YOU.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JS© on Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:49 pm

RAW on projector, game on the TV. I didn't even bother trying to find a good stream tonight.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR