Where my fellow cooks at???

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:08 pm

California's Foie Gras Ban Possibly Headed to Supreme Court
It's been two years since California banned the sale and production of foie gras, and it seemed to be a done deal. But a group of attorneys, as well as 13 other states outside of California, are hoping to raise the issue again. In fact, they're hoping to take it all the way to the Supreme Court.

The issue at stake is how the ban impacts interstate commerce. The 13 states (including South Carolina, Missouri, Kansas and Georgia) argue that the ban unconstitutionally interferes with interstate commerce by dictating the farming practices of producers outside the state.

I'm all for rescinding the ban, but that's not the most solid of ground on which to be staking a claim......
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:42 pm

Made chili tonight and had some breakfast sausage left over that was about to expire. Was a great idea to toss it in
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:33 am

The Recipe Sriracha Lovers Have Been Waiting For
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/1 ... lp00000592
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:35 pm

I ate at the Slanted Door last summer, and it was obscenely disappointing. Mediocre food and abysmal service.

In other culinary news.....

International Culinary Center Slapped With Lawsuit by Former Students
A group of former International Culinary Center students have filed a lawsuit against the culinary school, alleging the center engages in an "ongoing fraudulent scheme" to entice and retain students. A lawsuit filed earlier this week in the U.S. District Court of New York seeks "punitive damages against defendants in an amount sufficient to punish and set an example," alleging the ICC presented "false and misleading" facts to prospective students. Among them: That students could "walk straight into a top culinary job" upon graduation, that job placements could result in starting chef salaries of $60,000 per year, and crucially, that those two promises ensured that paying "$45,000 for a six month program... makes economic sense."

:shock:

About four years ago I was considering going to culinary school and starting a catering business. I looked at the CIA, and visited Le Cordon Bleu in Hollywood, and the Art Institute in west L.A. LCB was the most expensive, but all were within a couple thousand dollars of each other. The cost of a 2-year associate degree in culinary arts was ~$42,000.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:07 pm

Aren't those for-profit schools (like art institute) the subject of a class-action suit?
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:11 pm

The linked story mentions LCB settling out of court.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:50 pm

Made country fried steak and potato pancakes tonight. I have all this cube steak from my half of beef I got and no idea what to do with it. Is there anything other than CFS?
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby viva la ben on Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:56 pm

Braise it, or make some beef stew or chili with it
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:04 pm

Started making my own ice cream recently. We're dairy free so I'm using coconut milk. It's turned out phenomenally. Mint chocolate chop tonight

1 can coconut milk
1/4 cup honey
1tsp vanilla extract
1tsp mint extract
Choc chips

That's all, and it was as good as I've ever tasted.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Willie Kool on Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:38 pm

On a jam making kick. We put up 8 jars of homegrown Black Raspberry Jam last weekend, 24 jars of Cherry Jam today and the local blueberries should be ready next week or the week after. Also have a few quarts of strawberries we flash froze that may yet become jam.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PensFanInDC on Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:41 pm

Even the drinks are amazing at Volt
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:45 pm

Willie Kool wrote:On a jam making kick. We put up 8 jars of homegrown Black Raspberry Jam last weekend, 24 jars of Cherry Jam today and the local blueberries should be ready next week or the week after. Also have a few quarts of strawberries we flash froze that may yet become jam.

shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Willie Kool on Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:00 am

:thumb: Good jam making juju demands that song be played, along with:

Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:25 pm

I had a pork ribeye last night and it was phenomenal. The chef came out and I mentioned how good it was, he said his purveyor suggested a ribeye instead of a chop. I didn't know there's a difference so I started googling today and can't find anything distinguishing them from one another. Is there a difference?
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:08 pm

They are really slutting giada up on food network star
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BigMcK on Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:25 pm

Weekend river raft run just completed. A buddy brings along his water smoker along with 14 pounds of pork loin that was cut into two slabs and marinaded in a teriyaki sauce for 72 hours. He sets his smoker up and I notice that the temperature gauge says "Low", "Ideal", "Hot". Now, imagining those choices on the face of a clock, low would be 9 - 10; ideal 10 - 2; hot 2 - 3. I ask if he knows what temperature each level represents, and his reply, "I keep it in the Ideal range." That is a pretty big swing for "Ideal."

Charcoal and wood go in the base, overly marinated meat on the grill and 2 cold beers in the liquid pan to "add steam". "How long do you plan to smoke that for?", I ask. "Probably 6 hours." is his reply. "Do you plan to pull it off at a certain temperature and wrap it in foil until it's done?" "Nope, I want it to be nice and smoked. I push on the meat to tell me when it's done" he says. "You do realize at a certain point, the meat will no longer absorb the smoke and instead it will build a bitter flavor, right?" "Hey, you don't even eat meat, so you know nothing about this." he says in a loud, direct tone. I take that as a "Hey, I'm the Smoke King here, so shut up." so I move away.

For the next six hours we run the river a few runs, and after each run, he adds more wood and charcoal (never once checking the liquid pan), relying on that "Ideal" and "finger test" heat setting. I get my chicken on the grill with my simple rub and start saucing the pieces once the meat is just about done.

10 people sit down to eat, I grab a few pieces of chicken, while the other 9 start on pork. We are all long time friends, so no one wants to hurt this guys feeling after he spent so much time working on his pork, but "Salty", "Overcooked", "Bitter", "Dry", "Why is this meat grey", were words quickly muttered.

I felt bad seeing all of that effort and food go to waste. Proper tools and a little education can pay dividends.
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Shyster on Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:43 pm

He had the wrong meat to begin with. Loin has way, way too little fat and connective tissue to barbecue like that. Barbecue works because it breaks down connective tissue (aka gristle) into gelatin, which suffuses the meat. Loin doesn't have that, so it's just going to dry out when you cook it that long.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:50 pm

Shyster wrote:He had the wrong meat to begin with. Loin has way, way too little fat and connective tissue to barbecue like that. Barbecue works because it breaks down connective tissue (aka gristle) into gelatin, which suffuses the meat. Loin doesn't have that, so it's just going to dry out when you cook it that long.

I heard this on the radio this weekend.....

Grilled Glazed Pork Tenderloin Roast
http://www.americastestkitchen.com/reci ... loin-roast

I still feel this might not be the best idea.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BigMcK on Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:07 pm

Does anyone know how much a marinade, or even, brine, is pulled into the meat in terms of volume? I would guess after 24 hours either fluid or rub that is based on salt would be begin to cure the meat on the surface instead of adding flavor throughout. Hence, the salty flavor that everyone complained of. A total of 3 days of salty marinade paired with who knows how hot of a smoker over a six hour time frame was disaster.

I really felt bad because I so wanted to help him with what I do know and lend guidance because the build up to everyone receiving a dry, salty meal was harsh.
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby viva la ben on Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:21 pm

A properly smoked pork loin is also known as Canadian bacon
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Froggy on Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:12 pm

I went down to the exotic meats shop in the strip yesterday, and I was totally overwhelmed and didn't buy anything. What can you good folks tell me about camel or kangaroo meat?
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:14 pm

they aint from these parts
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:17 pm

BigMcK wrote:Does anyone know how much a marinade, or even, brine, is pulled into the meat in terms of volume? I would guess after 24 hours either fluid or rub that is based on salt would be begin to cure the meat on the surface instead of adding flavor throughout. Hence, the salty flavor that everyone complained of. A total of 3 days of salty marinade paired with who knows how hot of a smoker over a six hour time frame was disaster.

I really felt bad because I so wanted to help him with what I do know and lend guidance because the build up to everyone receiving a dry, salty meal was harsh.

I can't find the clip on youtube but Alton Brown explained that (with beef at least because that is what he used) marinating for anything longer than a few hours is pretty much pointless. He demonstrated by taking 2 identical cuts of steak and marinating them both with the same liquid in identical containers in identical conditions. One steak he marinated for 6(?) hours and the other for a full 24 hours. He cut both steaks and showed that the marinade had penetrated both steaks to the same depth.

Brines are different iirc as they actually "cook" some of the meat.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:09 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:they aint from these parts

There's a camel farm on eighty acres road outside of connellsville.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:46 am

PensFanInDC wrote:
BigMcK wrote:Does anyone know how much a marinade, or even, brine, is pulled into the meat in terms of volume? I would guess after 24 hours either fluid or rub that is based on salt would be begin to cure the meat on the surface instead of adding flavor throughout. Hence, the salty flavor that everyone complained of. A total of 3 days of salty marinade paired with who knows how hot of a smoker over a six hour time frame was disaster.

I can't find the clip on youtube but Alton Brown explained that (with beef at least because that is what he used) marinating for anything longer than a few hours is pretty much pointless. He demonstrated by taking 2 identical cuts of steak and marinating them both with the same liquid in identical containers in identical conditions. One steak he marinated for 6(?) hours and the other for a full 24 hours. He cut both steaks and showed that the marinade had penetrated both steaks to the same depth.

Brines are different iirc as they actually "cook" some of the meat.

I'm not familiar with that episode, but I question the logic. It will depend in large part on the composition of the marinade. For example, if you make a marinade consisting of a large amount of pineapple and you leave the meat in the marinade overnight, you will end up with a stringy mess of ex-meat. (Pineapple has an enzyme that reacts with protein and breaks it down; I found that out the hard way, ruining two skirt steaks) A marinade with a yogurt base will also continue penetrating meat for 10 or more hours, until it's basically gone the whole way through the flesh. It's not a cut-and-dried thing.

Also, brines do not 'cook' meat; there is a slight denaturing effect, but it is not like using an acid to 'cook' meat for something like a ceviche. The chloride atoms in salt affect the protein strands in meat in a way that helps them resist tightening up when cooked, which also allows them to hold on to the water that's already within the meat and the water that's drawn in from the brine. The result is a more toothsome bite and chew (which is my favorite by-product of brining), and a slightly more juicy end product.

Bringing is a highly complex - and subjective - endeavor. Some people think it sucks, some swear by it. I wouldn't use it for beef (pastrami and corned beef being notable exceptions), but I swear by it for pork and poultry. I've even been known to occasionally brine fatty fish like salmon.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR