Where my fellow cooks at???

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:59 pm

I have my standards.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:02 pm

They had a pretty awesome half and half one at Sams, charcoal and propane. That would be my purchase if I was in the market for one.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:03 pm

it just seems like so much schlepping
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:16 pm

It really isn't that much work. Is it more work than turning a knob? Yes. Is it 'a lot'? No. The extra 'work' is really just passive time spent waiting for the coals to burn down, during which you can continue on with your prep/job list.

You fill a chimney with coals, light kindling, wait 20 minutes or so, dump coals out when they are all white and ashy. If you're cooking a long time, you throw a scoop of fresh coals over the embers every ten minutes or so.

Altho, to be fair, it does take a bit more management to ensure the correct heat level of the fire.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby count2infinity on Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:21 pm

$400 for a propane grill goes a long way if you find sales. Here's the one I have: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Backyard-Gril ... k/31897884 I think I bought it on sale for $150 a year ago and I really have zero complaints with it. This is going to be my grill until I buy a house, where I will end up either building an outdoor kitchen if I'm in warm climate, or just doing a small grill refrigerator combo under some sort of cover if I stay somewhere with winters.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby count2infinity on Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:22 pm

tifosi77 wrote:You fill a chimney with coals, light kindling, wait 20 minutes or so, dump coals out when they are all white and ashy. If you're cooking a long time, you throw a scoop of fresh coals over the embers every ten minutes or so.

a lot of times when I'm grilling, it's a last minute decision to just throw something on the grill. I know if I had to wait 20 minutes, I'd likely not grill nearly as often as I do.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:24 pm

I would love an outdoor kitchen. There's a house down the street from me for sale that has one. The guy was a stone mason. His setup is incredible. Snagging these off Zillow...

mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:28 pm

My ideal outdoor kitchen would have a wood fire oven like that, a charcoal grill, a gas grill and a refrigerator. Maybe a kegerator as well. It's good to have dreams.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:31 pm

Do they make combo gas/charcoal grills? Gas is so much better if you just want to cook something quickly after work. Id rather use charcoal if I had all day on a weekend.

I learned a neat charcoal tip this weekend - you should be able to hold your hand over the grill for 5 seconds. Any less and the coals are still too hot.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby count2infinity on Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:34 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:Do they make combo gas/charcoal grills? Gas is so much better if you just want to cook something quickly after work. Id rather use charcoal if I had all day on a weekend.

I learned a neat charcoal tip this weekend - you should be able to hold your hand over the grill for 5 seconds. Any less and the coals are still too hot.

They do make them. My wife's boss has one. Separate lids over the gas and charcoal side.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:35 pm

I bought a cheapo $200 charbroil brand grill a few months ago. Use it 5 or 6 times a week and it does the job as good as you'd want. I wouldn't get better results with an $800 weber.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:35 pm

tifosi77 wrote:It really isn't that much work. Is it more work than turning a knob? Yes. Is it 'a lot'? No. The extra 'work' is really just passive time spent waiting for the coals to burn down, during which you can continue on with your prep/job list.

You fill a chimney with coals, light kindling, wait 20 minutes or so, dump coals out when they are all white and ashy. If you're cooking a long time, you throw a scoop of fresh coals over the embers every ten minutes or so.

Altho, to be fair, it does take a bit more management to ensure the correct heat level of the fire.

how do you manage the heat? via the vents on top?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:43 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:Altho, to be fair, it does take a bit more management to ensure the correct heat level of the fire.

how do you manage the heat? via the vents on top?

It's a combination of the amount of charcoal you have burning and the distance the fire is below the grates. I do very little grilling with the cover closed, so the vents really don't come into play.

I did a Santa Maria-style tri-tip yesterday, first time ever working with that cut and with that technique. Combination high direct-heat sear, followed by hickory cold smoking. (Used a tray of ice to maintain low temp/high humidity). Turned out really good, but next time I'll be sure and get red oak chips to make it more in line with the real deal.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:47 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:Do they make combo gas/charcoal grills? Gas is so much better if you just want to cook something quickly after work. Id rather use charcoal if I had all day on a weekend.

Char-Griller Duo 3-Burner (40,800-BTU) Liquid Propane Gas Grill with Side Burner
I have two charcoal grill from this company; I have my issues with them, but they're generally good value for the money.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kraftster on Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:55 pm

Charcoal griller here. We use it 2-4 times per week this time of year. I would never go to an exclusive propane option, but I would like a combo.
I am a big proponent of charcoal grilling with the lid closed. I believe Shyster is in my corner on that and tifoso is not.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:04 pm

Grilled some chicken over the weekend with a 3/4 bbq sauce to 1/4 sriracha ratio.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:30 pm

Pretty excited, just signed up for a cooking class with Ludo Lefebvre.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:19 pm

Speaking of grille talk, anyone ever replace a burner in a grille? I have one thats only half way working.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby OutofFoil on Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:43 pm

mac5155 wrote:Speaking of grille talk, anyone ever replace a burner in a grille? I have one thats only half way working.

It sucks, just replaced all four burners in my inlaws Vermont Castings grill. Everything rusted out, wouldn't come apart no matter how much I soaked the screws in blaster. Once I finally got the burners out, I found where they attach to was all rotted and rusted. I had to make a plate, then attach it to parts of the mounting surface that weren't eaten away, then redrill the mounting holes and such. Took me 5 hours, but it works and saved a lot of loot since that grill is pretty nice and heavy duty stainless.
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Depends. I might be here, but I could be there. Hard to tell sometimes.

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:58 pm

Back to mango peeling...

tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby blackjack68 on Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:36 pm

mac5155 wrote:Speaking of grille talk, anyone ever replace a burner in a grille? I have one thats only half way working.

I'm hard on my grills but I have had a CharBroil commercial series grill for about 8 years. They made the mistake of offering a lifetime warranty on many of the parts (don't think they do this any longer), but I've replaced the burners 3 times, the burner brace twice and the grease tray and the warming rack once each. Only have to pay $8.95 for shipping.

I also scour the grill once at the beginning of the season and once in the middle when stuff gets goopy.

The holes in the burner (my main grill has three that run vertically) eventually rust/rot out and then just waste gas or create a super big flame in one area. Sometimes, they are just clogged from fat drippings and you can poke them open with a toothpick or skewer. But mostly, they need replacing.

Mine are very easy to replace, the burner brace is the tricky part with screws that are stuck in place (as mentioned by OutofFoil).

How old is the grill?
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:36 pm

anyone have some suggestions for a pan sauce after searing and cooking a steak? saw some online that involved red wine shallots and beef/vegetable broth
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:04 pm

One of the first pan sauces I ever learned to make used minced shallot, mushrooms, heavy cream, and a sh|t ton of cracked black pepper. I can still remember making that for my mom when I was in college.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:07 pm

Speaking of sauces, is a bechamel easy or hard to make?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:14 pm

Super easy. It's the same as making a blonde roux, just when you finish that you add in warm milk. Start to finish takes maybe 20 minutes or so, but it's 100% active because you don't want to scorch and color the roux, and so you have to pretty much constantly stir with a whisk.

The ratio to remember is 2:2:1 -- two tablespoons each butter and AP flour, 1 cup of milk. Scale accordingly. (I should convert that to weights, but because of different densities I don't think it would result in a convenient mnemonic.)
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR