Where my fellow cooks at???

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby columbia on Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:18 pm

I feel like I should be able to make one, as it is obviously the basis for many things.
I'll try it out with something simple like using it for lasagne.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:38 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:anyone have some suggestions for a pan sauce after searing and cooking a steak? saw some online that involved red wine shallots and beef/vegetable broth

Reduce some cognac. Add heavy cream
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:07 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:anyone have some suggestions for a pan sauce after searing and cooking a steak? saw some online that involved red wine shallots and beef/vegetable broth

Steak Diane
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:10 am

blackjack68 wrote:
mac5155 wrote:Speaking of grille talk, anyone ever replace a burner in a grille? I have one thats only half way working.

I'm hard on my grills but I have had a CharBroil commercial series grill for about 8 years. They made the mistake of offering a lifetime warranty on many of the parts (don't think they do this any longer), but I've replaced the burners 3 times, the burner brace twice and the grease tray and the warming rack once each. Only have to pay $8.95 for shipping.

I also scour the grill once at the beginning of the season and once in the middle when stuff gets goopy.

The holes in the burner (my main grill has three that run vertically) eventually rust/rot out and then just waste gas or create a super big flame in one area. Sometimes, they are just clogged from fat drippings and you can poke them open with a toothpick or skewer. But mostly, they need replacing.

Mine are very easy to replace, the burner brace is the tricky part with screws that are stuck in place (as mentioned by OutofFoil).

How old is the grill?

Got it December 2012. It's a sportsman's grille that I got from sams, a portable yet large grille
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby blackjack68 on Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:37 am

That's a little quick for the burner to die out, but it depends on the initial quality of the grill, how much you use it and how it is stored (covered? wintered in a garage? left out in the rain?)

You could start by writing the company and just giving them a sob story and see if they offer replacement parts. Do you still have the receipt?
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mac5155 on Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:26 pm

Was a Christmas gift. I looked at it today, and it still lights but barely. On high or low it's the same size flame. It won't light with the ignition button either, must not be enough gas flowing through to get it to go. Wonder if it's just clogged up or the knob is bad
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:19 pm

Pan seared scallops. Nailed it.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BigMcK on Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:42 pm

(*******) wrapped scallops and shrimp. Bacon is the obvious choice, but I am not looking to use bacon.

My choice is to grill these as appetizers, but they could be cooked in a pan if needed.

Any thoughts as to what could be used as a bacon substitute? I was thinking strips of poblano chilies, but am not sure if the heat would overpower the scallop flavor.

Thanks
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PensFanInDC on Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:06 pm

Proscuitto
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Willie Kool on Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:07 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:Proscuitto

That sounds really good. We just had bacon wrapped scallops the other day, next time I think we'll try prosciutto.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PensFanInDC on Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:26 pm

It's pretty much fancy bacon. If you want something totally different maybe try grape leaves.

I had baconwurst tonight. Had no idea it existed. It's as good as it sounds. It paired really well with Hoegarden.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BigMcK on Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:05 pm

Grape leaves might work. I also thought WonTon wrappers may work.

Time to experiment with some turkey hotdogs.

Thanks
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meow on Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:06 pm

Scallops and shrimp tonight. Grilled. Pumped.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:37 pm

Made pork chops tonight, man they're delicious. No idea why I rarely think to get them. But the ones I had were center cut and only like 1/4 inch thick. That seems to be something you'd want to be almost an inch thick, no?
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:51 pm

I just prepped dinner for 3 nights.

Spaghetti sauce (which as we all know is always better the next day or two). All I have to do is boil water for the noodles and use bag salad.

Marinating some drumsticks in balsamic, honey, fresh basil from our garden, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Gonna crockpot it tomorrow so it's done when we get home. I'll roast some brussel sprouts and make some jasmine rice tomorrow evening.

Formed some burger patties with ground beef, worcestershire sauce, garlic, salt, pepper, and red pepper flake.

Most of my cooking this week is done...
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:52 pm

I rock the rule of thumb on the chop. Gotte be thicker than my thumb to entertain it.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:53 pm

I bought some pork chops bogo yesterday for the first time in years. I think I only ever used a foreman grill to cook them before. Should I use cast iron? use a rub?
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:01 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:I bought some pork chops bogo yesterday for the first time in years. I think I only ever used a foreman grill to cook them before. Should I use cast iron? use a rub?

i use a brine with ginger and cumin seed, and throw them on the grill. delicious. if i couldn't grill them, i'd pan sear them and finish them in the oven.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:03 pm

canaan wrote:I rock the rule of thumb on the chop. Gotte be thicker than my thumb to entertain it.

I've only ever seen (and eaten) one of these in a restaurant, but this looks like your scene:
http://www.dartagnan.com/Berkshire-Port ... lt,pd.html
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:04 pm

columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:07 pm

columbia wrote:
canaan wrote:I rock the rule of thumb on the chop. Gotte be thicker than my thumb to entertain it.

I've only ever seen (and eaten) one of these in a restaurant, but this looks like your scene:
http://www.dartagnan.com/Berkshire-Port ... lt,pd.html

They sell chops like that at the market down the street from my office. (Duroc, not Berkshire)
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:15 pm

columbia wrote:rotimatic!

https://rotimatic.com/

it's impossible to find quality flat bread products in the store that are preservative/additive free. and i hate making them by hand. this is nice
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:39 pm

shmenguin wrote:
pittsoccer33 wrote:I bought some pork chops bogo yesterday for the first time in years. I think I only ever used a foreman grill to cook them before. Should I use cast iron? use a rub?

i use a brine with ginger and cumin seed, and throw them on the grill. delicious. if i couldn't grill them, i'd pan sear them and finish them in the oven.

I pan seared and finished in the oven. They were done in like 5 minutes because of being so thin
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:47 am

went blueberry picking with the kids. Got a lot of blueberries. Made some Blueberry bread and blueberry cheesecake with shortbread cookie crust. oh my.

Spoiler:
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby BuckintheLou on Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:21 pm

OutofFoil wrote:
mac5155 wrote:Speaking of grille talk, anyone ever replace a burner in a grille? I have one thats only half way working.

It sucks, just replaced all four burners in my inlaws Vermont Castings grill. Everything rusted out, wouldn't come apart no matter how much I soaked the screws in blaster. Once I finally got the burners out, I found where they attach to was all rotted and rusted. I had to make a plate, then attach it to parts of the mounting surface that weren't eaten away, then redrill the mounting holes and such. Took me 5 hours, but it works and saved a lot of loot since that grill is pretty nice and heavy duty stainless.

Good for you (dude?)! Refreshing to hear somebody taking the time and initiative to actually repair something this day and age.

Now take that venison liver out of the freezer, thaw it, salt and pepper some flour and roll the liver in it, cut up two large vidalia onions, wrap it all
up with some butter in tin foil and throw it on there (turning once) for 6-8 minutes. Take it out and eat it along with some fresh bread. Oh yeah,
you gotta use your fingers too. That's the way we roll!
BuckintheLou
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to NHR