The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby profpolisci on Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:43 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:The PR thread made me think of posting here. I really enjoy Mark Madden's show, and listen to it on my phone from Philly. What other Pittsburgh sports talk shows are worth listening to?

Shaf, I recommend TribLive radio. Ken Laird has really come into his own and the the format, IMO, is great.
Laird starts at 9 and Junker joins in around 10 and stays a couple hours... Stag, around noon (he has his own block from 1 to 2). They free format it, like the old Stan and Guy shows. You really don't know where the conversation will end up.

I'm amazed by how much these guy's know about local sport's and they can bring the self-deprecating/cap on each other humor (but since I'm old enough to be your dad don't hold me to that :D). And, their knowledge isn't restricted to Pittsburgh. Elder Stag though, wow. The guy is an encyclopedia. Today he was talking about the Hornet's and how he was at the first game they played at the CA. He's also the funniest of the three though they all are witty.
There are no phone calls, the occasional e-mail, and good guest's.
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby JS© on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:18 am

Bioshock wrote:I feel bad for Bob Mclaughlin more than anything.

Listen, i hate Tim Benz. The dude is just not a good person from everything i have heard from people who have met him and he's a huge ****** on the radio. That being said, i never wanna see someone lose their job or worse yet, have it affect someone as nice as Bob. I hope they somehow find someone to carry that show quickly so Bob doesn't lose his job. The guy deserves better than a fate such as this from a dude who rage-quits on the air.

The thing that terrifies me is there really isn't anyone out there who is from the local Pittsburgh scene that can step in. Jim Krenn is the only guy who comes to mind and he was fired by clear channel. Just another great dude who can't find work. Sucks...

Wait... why don't they slide Scott Paulsen over to WXDX in place of Tim Benz? Paulsen is kinda the third wheel on the DVE morning show and it's clear he can carry a show even though DVE seems hell bent on promoting Bill Crawford over him. Paulsen is a dominant personality while Bob is a great sidekick. Does this train of thought make sense? I'm just thinking out loud here i guess.

Not really familiar with McLaughlin's role in the show. Like I've heard him on the show, but is he good enough to carry the show by himself? Would he be able to carry it until maybe a new host is found?

And not that my vote matters, but no, no, no to any of the DVE crew.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:23 am

I will throw my hat into the ring and try to help out Bob...wait...no, no I won't.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:38 am

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:columbia, I'm not sure. You could check out 970's webpage. Stan really is the last of the great ones.

It looks like there's segements, but no full shows.
I started to listen to Stan when I was about 10, so that'll do. :thumb:
http://www.970espn.com/cc-common/podcas ... ast=savran
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby relantel on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:51 am

columbia wrote:
Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:The PR thread made me think of posting here. I really enjoy Mark Madden's show, and listen to it on my phone from Philly. What other Pittsburgh sports talk shows are worth listening to?

Stan Savran has a show on 970 ESPN from 12-2. It's available on iheart radio.

Is there a podcast for that?
I can't listen to streams at work these days and Stan is a true gem...would love to be able to tune into him otherwise.

On iTunes, yes
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:59 am

profpolisci wrote:

Shaf, I recommend TribLive radio. Ken Laird has really come into his own and the the format, IMO, is great.
Laird starts at 9 and Junker joins in around 10 and stays a couple hours... Stag, around noon (he has his own block from 1 to 2). They free format it, like the old Stan and Guy shows. You really don't know where the conversation will end up.

I'm amazed by how much these guy's know about local sport's and they can bring the self-deprecating/cap on each other humor (but since I'm old enough to be your dad don't hold me to that :D). And, their knowledge isn't restricted to Pittsburgh. Elder Stag though, wow. The guy is an encyclopedia. Today he was talking about the Hornet's and how he was at the first game they played at the CA. He's also the funniest of the three though they all are witty.
There are no phone calls, the occasional e-mail, and good guest's.

They have their own app too. I find Laird ok, Junker is good, but Steigerwald was my primary reason for having the feed on. That and not being able to hear the Pens app feed on mobile mode (only works on wifi for me), and just leave it on at work.

What ever happened to Chris Mack? He was there initially but didn't last very long.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:11 am

On a side note, does anyone know why the Pens decided to take Mike Lange off the TV broadcasts? It doesn't make any sense, considering Lange's iconic status in Pittsburgh
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:23 am

shafnutz05 wrote:On a side note, does anyone know why the Pens decided to take Mike Lange off the TV broadcasts? It doesn't make any sense, considering Lange's iconic status in Pittsburgh

Hi, shaf. The decision was FSN Pittsburgh's at the time. The Pens had and still have control over the radio side; they got him to do the radio call. Thank goodness they did, too.

As for reasons? Couldn't have been fan complaints, but that's my opinion. The article below mentions that, when requested to, Lange refused to take a pay cut and FSN told him to hit the road. I've heard other more salacious and interesting editorials from folks back home who said Lange was drinking, but for every one of those people--and there aren't many I've come across--I've talked to 3 who reject that notion (as I do) and agree that FSN were cheap egotistical morons.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/spo ... ce-440246/

I support profpolisci's recommendation of TribLive radio. I don't get to listen to it often, but I enjoy it when I do.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Why Not Us on Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:37 am

Bob McLaughlin may very well be the nicest guy ever, but on the radio he is dreadfully unfunny.
Why Not Us
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Troy Loney on Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:14 am

Lt. Dish wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:On a side note, does anyone know why the Pens decided to take Mike Lange off the TV broadcasts? It doesn't make any sense, considering Lange's iconic status in Pittsburgh

Hi, shaf. The decision was FSN Pittsburgh's at the time. The Pens had and still have control over the radio side; they got him to do the radio call. Thank goodness they did, too.

As for reasons? Couldn't have been fan complaints, but that's my opinion. The article below mentions that, when requested to, Lange refused to take a pay cut and FSN told him to hit the road. I've heard other more salacious and interesting editorials from folks back home who said Lange was drinking, but for every one of those people--and there aren't many I've come across--I've talked to 3 who reject that notion (as I do) and agree that FSN were cheap egotistical morons.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/spo ... ce-440246/

I support profpolisci's recommendation of TribLive radio. I don't get to listen to it often, but I enjoy it when I do.

his alcoholism was becming visibly evident on the telecast. he became a face for radio.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:46 am

FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:48 am

Not a very smart career move....what the hell was he thinking?
It's a sports/music station.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Alejandro Rojas on Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:57 am

Commentators on PG articles make Pens Related seem like a Mensa convention.
Alejandro Rojas
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:06 am

He shouldn't have said what he said. I just think it's funny that 2nd amendment activists don't care about the preceeding amendment of the constitution
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Alejandro Rojas on Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:14 am

Free speech doesn't mean the freedom not to be criticized and denounced for your whatever your free speech says.
Alejandro Rojas
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pucks_and_Pols on Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:06 pm

what sucks is that i've been listening to that show for years and Benz mocks just about everyone and everything. i have heard them bash politicians of all stripes on the X morning show, when they are acting like friggen idiots. But as soon as he criticizes some nutball gun owners for trying to profit from a tradgedy; these armed second amendment advocates get their panties all knotted up and aim to get him fired for his opinion. the 1st amendment does not protect his job, it protects him from govt interference, that is correct. but clear channel is just fine with all their nutballs over on 104.7, but cant take just a smatter of common sense from their morning show host on 105.9, and yes Benz can be a toolbag, but he is an equal oppertunity toolbag toward everyone. i hate to see him canned over this one particular incident, especially because, well, i agree with him.
Pucks_and_Pols
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby canaan on Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:25 pm

Alejandro Rojas wrote:Commentators on PG articles make Pens Related seem like a Mensa convention.

good one, pbp
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:01 pm

Pucks_and_Pols wrote:what sucks is that i've been listening to that show for years and Benz mocks just about everyone and everything. i have heard them bash politicians of all stripes on the X morning show, when they are acting like friggen idiots. But as soon as he criticizes some nutball gun owners for trying to profit from a tradgedy; these armed second amendment advocates get their panties all knotted up and aim to get him fired for his opinion. the 1st amendment does not protect his job, it protects him from govt interference, that is correct. but clear channel is just fine with all their nutballs over on 104.7, but cant take just a smatter of common sense from their morning show host on 105.9, and yes Benz can be a toolbag, but he is an equal oppertunity toolbag toward everyone. i hate to see him canned over this one particular incident, especially because, well, i agree with him.

Except 104.7 is known for having that kind of discussion. 105.9 has always been about sports and comedy of the stupid. If Benz wanted to discuss politics in a serious manner, he picked the wrong station to work for. I never like to see a guy break down on air, but if it was going to happen to anyone, I'm glad it was Benz.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JS© on Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:08 pm

^ correct

As we would say, look at the audience he caters to. They aren't tuning in to hear your pro-gun control stance or why certain weapons should be banned. I mean the guy created a segment called "Dumb, dumber, and dumberest", and now he thinks he's an expert on what weapons should and should not be legal?

Sorry Tim, keep combing TMZ, Deadspin, and the Post-Gazette for topics to talk about. Not many people need to know your personal views.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:21 pm

I doubt he'll be back because they may say he could come back but would have to make an apology and I don't see him as apologizing for something he doesn't feel sorry about.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:28 pm

Point of clarity: was he canned or did he quit?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:31 pm

Quit?
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JS© on Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:32 pm

He basically quit on air, but there was talk on another board that he might have been forced to walk away. Not sure if I believe the 2nd part, since he said something about wanting to honor the remainder of his contract in an off-air position.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DropEmJayBird on Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:04 pm

newarenanow wrote:
DropEmJayBird wrote:It's bad enough to bring politics to a non political show - but when you do it in the childish bumper sticker method Benz does - you essentially make half the people turn you off. When you spend time reading the federalist papers, learning the history of what the colonists were dealing with in regards to the British, the lives and struggles of man of our founding fathers - you really have no patience for a joker like Tim Benz to condense that into some half thought out sound quip.

I listened to the show earlier in the week where the guns were brought up. He stated something to the effect that people can own guns, but there should be a line drawn, basing the opinion off of a comment from a guy that stated people should be able to own any type of weapon, including bombs, rocket launchers, etc, anything just "short of a tank or nuclear weapon".

People started calling in jumping all over him saying he said they had to go and take all of their guns away. He kept trying to say he never said that, that he was just saying there should be limits and laws. But then Tim did what he usually does and became hyper sensative and I think that pushed things over the edge.

I agree - he went hyper sensitive - and then I heard him make a few other snark remarks over the course of the week, including stuff about AR-15's, which to me shows me that his thought pattern is extending passed the argument of bombs, rocket launchers etc, and into semi-automatic either on purpose or just ignorance. At one point he started interjecting those things into other discussions, which is when I turned the radio to something else.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Eismann on Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:27 pm

Lol. Typical. Ok for him to shredrip everyone about everything and laugh about it, but when he gets it turned on him he goes diaper wetting toddler. Consequences, baby. See you on the flipside.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR