The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby CERV96 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:39 pm

So he just trolled social media?
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,667
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:49 pm
Location: It's poop again!

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:45 pm

columbia wrote:Vinnie likes Napoli's pizza better than Mineo's?


If there was a squirrel hill pizza discussion, cook would say something like "Awww come on vinny, if you think im going to drive all the way to squirrel hill and try to find a parking spot for some pizza, thats just rediculous. Thats a waste of time"
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,142
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:15 pm
Location: Under the Skycoaster

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby Tim Thomasen on Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:59 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
columbia wrote:Vinnie likes Napoli's pizza better than Mineo's?


If there was a squirrel hill pizza discussion, cook would say something like "Awww come on vinny, if you think im going to drive all the way to squirrel hill and try to find a parking spot for some pizza, thats just rediculous. Thats a waste of time"


I would like to know what Ron Cook does in the city that's not a waste of time? Doubt it would be anything exciting.

I dislike both of those two, but Cook is the worst. Just a bitter grouch that never can get joy out of anything.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 984
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:33 pm
Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:04 pm

CERV96 wrote:So he just trolled social media?


I think Social Media trolled him. I'd hate to have to read through thousands of tweets that I'm one of the least liked guys in Pittsburgh. Either way, I won't be tuning in to hear the explanation if they even give one. I will however tweet the morning show asking him how he feels about gun control until I get blocked/get tired of it.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,355
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:33 pm
Location: Who is Sims?

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:09 pm

How much of MM's show is actual sports talk? Too much **** music
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 58,829
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby Tim Thomasen on Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:14 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:How much of MM's show is actual sports talk? Too much **** music


Wouldn't be suprised if its less than half the show. Week or so ago he retweeted anyone who tweeted to him that they hate listening to music on his show.

I don't mind the music they played, but when i'm listening to Madden I don't want to listening to Mumford and Sons, Linkin Park or Nirvana from 3-6 pm.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 984
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:33 pm
Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:20 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:what was crook cranky about today?


Vinnie called him too negative but cook was pointing out IM A REALIST MANNN
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,499
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:59 pm
Location: The Panda Will Fly Away On A Rainbow

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby newarenanow on Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:23 pm

Tim Thomasen wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:How much of MM's show is actual sports talk? Too much **** music


Wouldn't be suprised if its less than half the show. Week or so ago he retweeted anyone who tweeted to him that they hate listening to music on his show.

I don't mind the music they played, but when i'm listening to Madden I don't want to listening to Mumford and Sons, Linkin Park or Nirvana from 3-6 pm.


I feel the same way. I love listening to Madden, but I hate listening to a few songs in between.

Wish he'd get picked up by the FAN or something.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,788
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:56 pm

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:25 pm

newarenanow wrote:
Tim Thomasen wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:How much of MM's show is actual sports talk? Too much **** music


Wouldn't be suprised if its less than half the show. Week or so ago he retweeted anyone who tweeted to him that they hate listening to music on his show.

I don't mind the music they played, but when i'm listening to Madden I don't want to listening to Mumford and Sons, Linkin Park or Nirvana from 3-6 pm.


I feel the same way. I love listening to Madden, but I hate listening to a few songs in between.

Wish he'd get picked up by the FAN or something.


Anything but that, I would rather hear music than have him appease the station by letting the Fan get their say in.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,355
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:33 pm
Location: Who is Sims?

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby Tim Thomasen on Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:05 pm

newarenanow wrote:
Tim Thomasen wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:How much of MM's show is actual sports talk? Too much **** music


Wouldn't be suprised if its less than half the show. Week or so ago he retweeted anyone who tweeted to him that they hate listening to music on his show.

I don't mind the music they played, but when i'm listening to Madden I don't want to listening to Mumford and Sons, Linkin Park or Nirvana from 3-6 pm.


I feel the same way. I love listening to Madden, but I hate listening to a few songs in between.

Wish he'd get picked up by the FAN or something.


Madden wouldn't be a good fit for the fan since Madden is a hockey guy first and on the Fan they treat the Pens and hockey like the plague (espically Chris Mueller who dislikes the Pens who would rather talk about a NBA team 2,000+ miles away from Pittsburgh than the local hockey team that's doing well). Plus Madden likes to troll the Steelers and Pirates and that would be blasphemy to do on the fan so his personality and things he like to talk about on the air wouldn't gel too good with what the station likes to push or what their listeners like to listen to.

970 wouldn't be good just for the fact their signal is so weak, it's hard to pick up in alot of areas around the city.

Madden is good on the X since he is a hockey guy and he's on the team's flagship station, so it's a good mix right there and he's a good lead in on Pens games. Just the only problem is the music and no matter what his ratings are, doube he would have the juice needed to scrap music from his show.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 984
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:33 pm
Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby FreeCandy44 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:07 pm

TheGhostofGoulet wrote:He's apparently back tomorrow, so the whole "resignation" was likely just a ratings ploy.


http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/ae/ ... sy-675018/
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,871
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:55 pm
Location: Official Friend of Mayor Peduto

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby JS© on Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:24 am

Yep, he's back. Listened specifically to see if he apologized. I guess he did. Said something about downloading a podcast of his apology before I got out of the car at 7.

I'm sure somebody who cares enough to listen to that podcast can verify it.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,949
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:52 am
Location: Trying to avoid the mumps.

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby DudeMan2766 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:09 am

I think the Pensblog guys and these pens parody twitter accounts over the top hatred of guys like Benz and Madden just make me like them more. We get it, bloggers and guys who run parody ray Shero accounts, you don't like people in the mainstream Pittsburgh media. Give it a rest
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,428
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:33 pm
Location: I NEED A MONTAGE

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:44 am

There's a reason so many people highly regard someone like Stan Savran highly but dislike Benz and/or Madden. One is a sports journalist engaging in discussion about a topic he is knowledgeable of, the other two drift off into cartoon antics.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,593
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:06 pm

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby mac5155 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:11 am

The show is entertaining. I don't listen for "good hockey talk". I listen for comedic relief and to get my day started. And I'm glad Benz is back. He is entitled to his opinion and I'm entitled to disagree with it.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 48,152
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby Bioshock on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:13 am

pittsoccer33 wrote:There's a reason so many people highly regard someone like Stan Savran highly but dislike Benz and/or Madden. One is a sports journalist engaging in discussion about a topic he is knowledgeable of, the other two drift off into cartoon antics.


Don't know about the rest of you but my favorite sports talk radio is when the host or hosts get off topic and don't discuss sports. Or when there is a topic about the human condition (Paterno, Armstrong, Steubenville rape case).

Yesterday there was a topic about best athletes from random sports playing dodgeball in the Olympics. I like random stuff like that.

Hard analysis is fine for... about 20 minutes then i have a blackout and i prefer humor and random thoughts in my radio listening.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,895
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:55 pm
Location: Mt. Lebanon

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby newarenanow on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:05 am

mac5155 wrote:The show is entertaining. I don't listen for "good hockey talk". I listen for comedic relief and to get my day started. And I'm glad Benz is back. He is entitled to his opinion and I'm entitled to disagree with it.


These are my feelings as well. I like Benz and Bob and think they are pretty funny. People take them too seriously.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,788
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:56 pm

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby viva la ben on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:08 am

I like sports talk radio, thus is why I don't listen to 105.9 the X. I wish they would ditch the music in drive time.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,570
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:45 am
Location: Location: Location

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby FreeCandy44 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:44 am

newarenanow wrote:
mac5155 wrote:The show is entertaining. I don't listen for "good hockey talk". I listen for comedic relief and to get my day started. And I'm glad Benz is back. He is entitled to his opinion and I'm entitled to disagree with it.


These are my feelings as well. I like Benz and Bob and think they are pretty funny. People take them too seriously.


This
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,871
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:55 pm
Location: Official Friend of Mayor Peduto

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby PghSkins on Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:05 pm

I dont mind the FAN MORNING SHOW but hope they don't put Paul Zeise on it on a regular basis.

First thing I heard this morning: "Well, you can mostly blame the goalies for a couple of the early losses this season."

Really? That's not how I remember it at all. And certainly if goalies were even half the reason for the TOR, WPG, or NYI losses, there'd be a goalie freakout thread on this hyper goalie blaming board.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,957
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:36 pm
Location: Klinkhammer's German Army

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby FreeCandy44 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:24 pm

Paul Zeise is horrible.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,871
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:55 pm
Location: Official Friend of Mayor Peduto

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby Tim Thomasen on Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:30 pm

PghSkins wrote:I dont mind the FAN MORNING SHOW but hope they don't put Paul Zeise on it on a regular basis.

First thing I heard this morning: "Well, you can mostly blame the goalies for a couple of the early losses this season."

Really? That's not how I remember it at all. And certainly if goalies were even half the reason for the TOR, WPG, or NYI losses, there'd be a goalie freakout thread on this hyper goalie blaming board.


Paul Zeise needs to stick to what he knows best: Pitt athletics.

I blame the defense and the lathergic offense more than I do the goaltending.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 984
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:33 pm
Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby Tim Thomasen on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:23 am

Benz was talking about a interview David Stern did about the Sacramento Kings- Seattle situation where he says contraction is more likely than expansion but said if the league is to expand that Pittsburgh (among nine other cities) could get a NBA team.

Benz said that this would be a failure not just because of corporate support, white people rejecting the NBA brand and not enough African American to support the team but also because Penguin fans are very territorial because of the supposed rivalry hockey fans have with the NBA.

I don't know if you call it territorial but don't want a NBA team because i just don't like the NBA but also because I don't think this city can support four teams. If that's being territorial then so be it.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 984
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:33 pm
Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby columbia on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:25 am

The last I looked, most people that go to NBA games are white.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 49,410
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:13 pm
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby Tim Thomasen on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:31 am

columbia wrote:The last I looked, most people that go to NBA games are white.


He says 80% of people that goes to games are African American. but he feels that the African Americans here wouldn't be enough to support the team season ticket wise because of how high the prices are.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 984
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:33 pm
Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: OutofFoil and 7 guests


e-mail