The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby columbia on Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:33 am

Granted, I've only been to two NBA games (Sixers and Knicks), but the crowds seemed pretty white.
80%? That seems high.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,402
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:35 am

Yeah, seems like he's just spitting out stereotypes.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,588
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:10 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby Tim Thomasen on Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:37 am

columbia wrote:Granted, I've only been to two NBA games (Sixers and Knicks), but the crowds seemed pretty white.
80%? That seems high.


I thought the same thing. I'm somewhat of an NBA fan (Boston Celtics) and I've watched games on TV and been to games in Cleveland and I saw alot of white people in the stands.

I guess you can call it territorial I just don't something to happen where we get a NBA team and as a result it hurts the Pens because there's not enough corporate dollars and disposable income to support four teams.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:33 pm
Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby Tim Thomasen on Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:38 am

columbia wrote:Granted, I've only been to two NBA games (Sixers and Knicks), but the crowds seemed pretty white.
80%? That seems high.


I thought the same thing. I'm somewhat of an NBA fan (Boston Celtics) and I've watched games on TV and been to games in Cleveland and I saw alot of white people in the stands.

I guess you can call it territorial I just don't something to happen where we get a NBA team and as a result it hurts the Pens because there's not enough corporate dollars and disposable income to support four teams.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:33 pm
Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:49 am

I think it's a pittsburgh stereotype that only black people like the NBA.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,588
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:10 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby Tim Thomasen on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:03 am

Troy Loney wrote:I think it's a pittsburgh stereotype that only black people like the NBA.


Your right, there are a ton of white people that like the NBA, certainly more than 20% I can tell you that.

Do you think Benz has a point about Pens fans being territorial though?
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:33 pm
Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:17 am

Tim Thomasen wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:I think it's a pittsburgh stereotype that only black people like the NBA.


Your right, there are a ton of white people that like the NBA, certainly more than 20% I can tell you that.

Do you think Benz has a point about Pens fans being territorial though?


Well, there's I think two people that I can think off the top of my head on this board that are like that. So if you extrapolate that vocal .02% of lgp, you get an insignificant number overall...and Benz is simply talking out of his ***.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,588
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:10 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby Tim Thomasen on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:30 am

Troy Loney wrote:
Tim Thomasen wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:I think it's a pittsburgh stereotype that only black people like the NBA.


Your right, there are a ton of white people that like the NBA, certainly more than 20% I can tell you that.

Do you think Benz has a point about Pens fans being territorial though?


Well, there's I think two people that I can think off the top of my head on this board that are like that. So if you extrapolate that vocal .02% of lgp, you get an insignificant number overall...and Benz is simply talking out of his ***.


You can make a case that David Stern is talking out of his ass as well for what he said. First off I can see expansion happening because I really can't see the Kings moving to Sacramento and Seattle has a group that wants be bring the NBA back to Seattle and are working on a arena deal. Add in the fact that there are no teams that are ripe for relocation and the NBA would be crazy not to expand to get Seattle back in the fold.

And second look at the cities he rattled off. Pittsburgh, Louisville, Columbus, Mexico freaking City, Vancouver. Lol.

I think Stan said it best last week when he was talking about the NBA. He said regardless of whatever or not Pittsburgh has enough fan interest to bring a team here, the city just doesn't have the corporate support and enough disposable income from fans to support four teams.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:33 pm
Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby newarenanow on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:33 am

Tim Thomasen wrote:I think Stan said it best last week when he was talking about the NBA. He said regardless of whatever or not Pittsburgh has enough fan interest to bring a team here, the city just doesn't have the corporate support and enough disposable income from fans to support four teams.


This is the main reason I don't think we ever get an NBA team.

We are not a big enough city to support 4 major league teams IMO.

I'm not a big NBA fan, but it would probably grow on me and I'd support the team if we had one. But overall, I just don't think there would be enough support overall in this city. Especially to deal with the decade or so growing pains of being an expansion team.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,458
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:34 am

how many cities have 4 major league teams?
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,096
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:15 am
Location: Under the Skycoaster

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:38 am

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:how many cities have 4 major league teams?

I came up with Boston, Philly, Washington, Miami (if you count the Panthers), Chicago, and Dallas off the top of my head.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,393
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:31 pm
Location: Behind Enemy Lines

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby Tim Thomasen on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:38 am

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:how many cities have 4 major league teams?


Well off the top of my head: LA, Dallas, Miami, Philly, NY, Denver, Boston, Chicago and Atlanta had 4 teams before the Thrashers moved
Last edited by Tim Thomasen on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:33 pm
Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:39 am

Forgot Phoenix and Denver
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,393
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:31 pm
Location: Behind Enemy Lines

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby Kovy27 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:40 am

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:how many cities have 4 major league teams?


New York = Rangers, Islanders, Knicks, Mets, Spankees, Giants, Jets
Chicago = Bulls, Da Bears, Hawks, Cubs, White Sox
LA = Dodgers, Angels, No NFL (lol), Kings, Clippers, Lakers
Miami = Dolphins, Marlins (if you can count them), Heat, Panthers
Boston = Pats, Bruins, Red Sox, Celtics
Philly = Cryers, 76ers, Phillies, Eagles
Phoenix = Coyotes, Cardinals, DBacks, Suns
Detroit = Lions, Tigers, Dead Wings, Pistons
Denver = Avs, Rockies, Nuggets, Broncos
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,614
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:56 pm
Location: Break Down the Walls of Kovy27

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:43 am

Kovy27 wrote:
KennyTheKangaroo wrote:how many cities have 4 major league teams?


New York = Rangers, Islanders, Knicks, Mets, Spankees, Giants, Jets
Chicago = Bulls, Da Bears, Hawks, Cubs, White Sox
LA = Dodgers, Angels, No NFL (lol), Kings, Clippers, Lakers
Miami = Dolphins, Marlins (if you can count them), Heat, Panthers
Boston = Pats, Bruins, Red Sox, Celtics
Philly = Cryers, 76ers, Phillies, Eagles
Phoenix = Coyotes, Cardinals, DBacks, Suns
Detroit = Lions, Tigers, Dead Wings, Pistons
Denver = Avs, Rockies, Nuggets, Broncos

Washington - Craps, Wizards, Redskins, Nationals
Dallas - Rangers, Stars, Cryboys, Mavs
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,393
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:31 pm
Location: Behind Enemy Lines

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby newarenanow on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:44 am

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:how many cities have 4 major league teams?


Off the top of my head:

NYC 8 (Mets, Yankees, Giants, Jets, Nets, Knicks, Isles, Rangers), (you can probably throw the Devils in there as well)
LA 5 (Lakers, Clippers, Dodgers, Kings) (you can probably throw the Ducks and Angels in there as well)
Chicago 5 (Cubs, Sox, Bears, Bulls, Blackhawks)
Miami 4 (Dolphins, Heat, Marlins, Panthers) (I know Panthers not technically, but close enough)
Phoenix 4 (Suns, Dbacks, Cardinals, Coyotes)
Toronto 4 (Blue Jays, Raptors, Leafs, CFL team)
Boston 4 (Bruins, Celtics, Red Sox, Pats) (again, Pats not technically, but close enough)
Dallas 4 (Rangers, Cowboys, Stars, Mavs)
Detroit 4 (Pistons, Wings, Lions, Tigers)

Woops, forgot Washington, Philly, and Denver

This is all I can think of right now. Some like Boston, Miami, adn even Dallas, are more spread out to surrounding areas, but I count them.

These are some pretty large cities. Pgh isn't in the same class.
Last edited by newarenanow on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,458
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:47 am

Dallas, NY, Chicago, Detroit, Miami, Philly, Boston.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,588
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:10 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:47 am

CFL doesn't count NAN. and LA doesn't have the NFL.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,588
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:10 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby newarenanow on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:49 am

Troy Loney wrote:CFL doesn't count NAN. and LA doesn't have the NFL.


I know LA doesn't have NFL, but the question was what cities have 4 major league teams. LA does.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,458
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:50 am

Is MLS not being counted?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,245
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:51 am

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:
KennyTheKangaroo wrote:how many cities have 4 major league teams?


New York = Rangers, Islanders, Knicks, Mets, Spankees, Giants, Jets
Chicago = Bulls, Da Bears, Hawks, Cubs, White Sox
LA = Dodgers, Angels, No NFL (lol), Kings, Clippers, Lakers
Miami = Dolphins, Marlins (if you can count them), Heat, Panthers
Boston = Pats, Bruins, Red Sox, Celtics
Philly = Cryers, 76ers, Phillies, Eagles
Phoenix = Coyotes, Cardinals, DBacks, Suns
Detroit = Lions, Tigers, Dead Wings, Pistons
Denver = Avs, Rockies, Nuggets, Broncos

Washington - Craps, Wizards, Redskins, Nationals
Dallas - Rangers, Stars, Cryboys, Mavs

Minneapolis - Wild, Vikings, Timberwolves, Twins
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,393
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:31 pm
Location: Behind Enemy Lines

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:55 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Is MLS not being counted?

Should it be?
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,393
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:31 pm
Location: Behind Enemy Lines

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:58 am

newarenanow wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:CFL doesn't count NAN. and LA doesn't have the NFL.


I know LA doesn't have NFL, but the question was what cities have 4 major league teams. LA does.


I think it's implied that the question is, what cities have a team from all the major sports leagues.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,588
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:10 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:58 am

Why shouldn't it be? How is it not Major?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,245
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:00 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Why shouldn't it be? How is it not Major?


Because it isn't in "The Big 4".
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,451
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dodint, IanMoran and 8 guests


e-mail