The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby IanMoran on Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:09 pm

Like:
Mueller
Miller

Dislike:
Dunlap
Poni

Everyone else is somewhere in the middle. I don't ever really listen to the Morning show, so no comment there
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby IanMoran on Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:13 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:Zeise is awful

I guess this can't be done because sports don't last all year long, but I really wish they just did hours on certain teams and let the guys talk about what they know

Have Zeise talk about Pitt football
Miller talk about Steelers
Madden on the Pens
Vinnie can do some around the league baseball talk, etc..

I wish there was more of that, listening to Miller (who I like) dissect the Penguins pp is.............. :face:

Not really these guys fault, just not there background and its always obvious when a guy just recently got into a sport (because forced to for his job)
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:31 pm

Bill Cowher just came in the office, super super nice.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Troy Loney on Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:32 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:Bill Cowher just came in the office, super super nice.

What kind of office is this?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:34 pm

Troy Loney wrote:

An office at Kennywood :pop:
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:35 pm

Troy Loney wrote:

Time Warner Cable (TWC) silly... :pop:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby TheGhostofGoulet on Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:35 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:Poni just came in our office here he is very weasel looking. I didn't have the courage to tell him he sucks. I need to hand in my man card

You could have told him he is awesome and he would start arguing with you that your point is wrong.

"Hey man, have a great Monday."

"Everyone knows today is Wednesday."
TheGhostofGoulet
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby jimjom on Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:46 pm

I can't believe Jon Burton gets run out of town but Filaponi keeps his job. I'm not a fan of either but Burton had more experience.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby IanMoran on Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:54 pm

jimjom wrote:I can't believe Jon Burton gets run out of town but Filaponi keeps his job. I'm not a fan of either but Burton had more experience.

I GET what the station thinks they have with Poni (Madden, people may complain but they still listen to him). The only problem is, I'll actually listen to Madden... With Poni I now turn it off whenever I hear his voice. I know many who are the same way.

The guy just has no substance other than to just disagree with everyone, it gets old so quickly. He routinely does the reverse his position mid-call to argue with a caller. The ONE time I actually would love to listen to Poni would be after a Pittsburgh championship. I'm just so curious on how he would spin the intro monologue / the show in general.

"SOOO PITTSBURGH, you REALLY think this championship means a lot, how about the Patriots, they win them regularly.. why would we celebrate one meager championship? I thought this city expected this, demanded dynasties."
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby jimjom on Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:55 pm

I'm with you, I can't stand his nasally voice either.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby slappybrown on Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:00 pm

IanMoran wrote:
jimjom wrote:I can't believe Jon Burton gets run out of town but Filaponi keeps his job. I'm not a fan of either but Burton had more experience.

I GET what the station thinks they have with Poni (Madden, people may complain but they still listen to him). The only problem is, I'll actually listen to Madden... With Poni I now turn it off whenever I hear his voice. I know many who are the same way.

The guy just has no substance other than to just disagree with everyone, it gets old so quickly. He routinely does the reverse his position mid-call to argue with a caller. The ONE time I actually would love to listen to Poni would be after a Pittsburgh championship. I'm just so curious on how he would spin the intro monologue / the show in general.

"SOOO PITTSBURGH, you REALLY think this championship means a lot, how about the Patriots, they win them regularly.. why would we celebrate one meager championship? I thought this city expected this, demanded dynasties."

Madden, aside from his schtick, actually does know hockey. I think the rest of his crap is boring, but he is, to me, the only pure sports talk host I actually listen to for hockey (and he consistently books the best hockey-related guests). Guys like Grover and Metzer are great too, but they aren't doing a regular show outside of PensRadio.

Poni knows what exactly? I don't think he knows anything more than people here do -- which is fine, if you're actually going to be entertaining. But, he's not. He's not funny, and the contrarian schtick is so transparent and obvious that its boring. That's the biggest issue -- his show is so boring that you can predict what intentionally contrarian position he will take next. You can do that style of radio if you can pull it off -- he plainly can't. His show is without a doubt the worst thing on PGH radio.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:02 pm

What makes Mark Madden successful is that he believes what he's saying is right, or at the very least is able to play the part. He does have the wrestling background. You can just tell Filliponi is just saying what he's saying to get a rise out of people and to get them to call in. Sometimes he doesn't even think about what he says before says it, he just blurts out the opposing opinion for the sake of being the opposite.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby slappybrown on Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:10 pm

Yep.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:11 pm

I forgot about Madden..he's also quality radio.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby viva la ben on Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:13 pm

Listening to Starkey and miller team up on poni's idiocy. They are letting him have it!
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby viva la ben on Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:15 pm

They were discussing the mets mgr commenting on the booing of Wright this weekend.....Poni says the booing was a disgrace and Starkey ripped Poni apart.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:17 pm

I think I've said this about Madden here before: I like his interviews with athletes and journalists. He doesn't ask the same kinds of dumb questions you hear players being asked in the locker rooms.

But I hate the way they handle regular callers into his program. And listening to him struggle to breath is unsettling.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pensfan1989 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:28 pm

Poni just called anyone who boo'ed David Wright a "jack***"
Last edited by pensfan1989 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pensfan1989
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:28 pm

slappybrown wrote:
IanMoran wrote:

Madden, aside from his schtick, actually does know hockey. I think the rest of his crap is boring, but he is, to me, the only pure sports talk host I actually listen to for hockey (and he consistently books the best hockey-related guests). Guys like Grover and Metzer are great too, but they aren't doing a regular show outside of PensRadio.

Poni knows what exactly? I don't think he knows anything more than people here do -- which is fine, if you're actually going to be entertaining. But, he's not. He's not funny, and the contrarian schtick is so transparent and obvious that its boring. That's the biggest issue -- his show is so boring that you can predict what intentionally contrarian position he will take next. You can do that style of radio if you can pull it off -- he plainly can't. His show is without a doubt the worst thing on PGH radio.

That's the reason I listen to Madden, for hockey talk. I don't think his shtick (ripping clueless callers) otherwise is funny or original. He was doing the same thing 10 years ago.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby viva la ben on Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:28 am

Gregg G getting waxed on air.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby jimjom on Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:17 am

The waxing -- took an hour to get through the schtick, the buildup, etc (that was how long my commute was). Utter garbage. Morning zoo nonsense.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:25 am

jimjom wrote:The waxing -- took an hour to get through the schtick, the buildup, etc (that was how long my commute was). Utter garbage. Morning zoo nonsense.

really really stupid.

extremely.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby the wicked child on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:29 am

Wait, so they seriously devoted an hour of radio to someone getting waxed?!
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:32 am

the wicked child wrote:Wait, so they seriously devoted an hour of radio to someone getting waxed?!

All sports all the time
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FreeCandy44 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:17 am

Im sure it was 8 minutes of talk and 22 minutes of commercials.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Im The Wreck Of You, Im The Death Of You All ~ Soundgarden

PreviousNext

Return to NHR