The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby IanMoran on Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:39 am

Madden's anti-Pirates / Steelers (but Ben's the greatest of all-time) act has gotten really old
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:46 am

They're still in the bottom 5 for both salary and revenue, correct?

I don't expect Mr. Nutting spend too far above revenues.
Is that cheap? I guess it depends on who you ask.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Dickie Dunn on Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:49 am

IanMoran wrote:Madden's anti-Pirates / Steelers (but Ben's the greatest of all-time) act has gotten really old

He's actually been very optimistic and positive regarding the Steelers recently. Probably a sign of the apocalypse.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:08 pm

IanMoran wrote:Madden's anti-Pirates / Steelers (but Ben's the greatest of all-time) act has gotten really old

Yeah I agree, and he doesn't really bother me. At first it was the Pirates were cheap because they didn't sign AJ, they sucked, would never see .500 this season and if he was here, they would. Then it was the whole Polanco thing, Cards care about winning, they brought up their top prospect (only to send him back down I think), blah, blah, and when Polanco came up and is now showing he isn't going to hit .400 all season, he has now moved onto Morneau and not signing him, even though he did crap with the Pirates last year.

I'm not going to say the Nuttings are the best ownership group in baseball, because they aren't, but he just overblows everything and shifts his targets when it is starting to prove him wrong.

I understand that is his radio persona to get the ratings, and it works, but after a while it gets old.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:14 pm

How about madden's whole "the pirates are sabatoging pedro so they can justify trading him" thing?
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:20 pm

Sounds like Mark wins either way by what he says since we are all still listening.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:21 pm

The beauty of one sided debating.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:23 pm

newarenanow wrote:

Yeah I agree, and he doesn't really bother me. At first it was the Pirates were cheap because they didn't sign AJ, they sucked, would never see .500 this season and if he was here, they would. Then it was the whole Polanco thing, Cards care about winning, they brought up their top prospect (only to send him back down I think), blah, blah, and when Polanco came up and is now showing he isn't going to hit .400 all season, he has now moved onto Morneau and not signing him, even though he did crap with the Pirates last year.

I'm not going to say the Nuttings are the best ownership group in baseball, because they aren't, but he just overblows everything and shifts his targets when it is starting to prove him wrong.

I understand that is his radio persona to get the ratings, and it works, but after a while it gets old.

I've had to turn it off within the first hour 3 or 4 times in the last week or so because of that. It just about puts you to sleep. Pirate fans are stupid, Pirates are cheap, Pirate fans are stupid...Even if you agree with some of his points its just tiring hearing about it 5,6,7 straight days. And that's just if you listen to his show. He just regurgitates the same things into his tweets. Pirates are 3.5 games back, and I'm far from a Nutting fan and I don't think the ownership has made all the right moves or smart moves, but now he's on "if they did this, if they did that they'd be in 1st place right now." I'm not sure exactly what being in 1st place at the All-Star break gets you. But he's got to cling to something since his never see .500 the rest of the year didn't pan out.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:45 pm

Ninety tree shaven da fan is at Kennywood today. Should I ask Mueller how much NBA talk we can expect?
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:48 pm

When you dont know a thing about any sport other than hockey you need to constantly evolve your position.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DudeMan2766 on Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:01 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:Sounds like Mark wins either way by what he says since we are all still listening.

Well kind of - in that him annoying me for a brief period or me not agreeing with him isnt going to make me quit listening all together. Several people just in this thread alone have said they've turned him off when he pulls that crap. I never really buy in to stuff like that, like when some a-hole "celebrity" says something stupid - people discuss how it was stupid, and someone will always say, "Yeah well you're talking about them so I guess it worked didn't it!!" Not really. Unless I'm handing this person money because they crossed my mind by saying something or doing something dumb.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Crankshaft on Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:11 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:When you dont know a thing about any sport other than hockey you need to constantly evolve your position.

Mueller knows about hockey?
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DudeMan2766 on Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:20 pm

Crankshaft wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:When you dont know a thing about any sport other than hockey you need to constantly evolve your position.

Mueller knows about hockey?

lol a few weeks ago when TFMS were playing some of the terrible audition clips, Mueller was a judge at one of them. Some contestant lost his train of thought or couldn't talk for the whole 2 minutes and just quit and you hear ol Mutton inthe background "yeah it's not so easy is it??" That's not the first time I've heard him say somethin like that to a caller. He definitely takes heat from people about just being a contest winner and you can tell it jams him up.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:25 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

I've had to turn it off within the first hour 3 or 4 times in the last week or so because of that. It just about puts you to sleep. Pirate fans are stupid, Pirates are cheap, Pirate fans are stupid...Even if you agree with some of his points its just tiring hearing about it 5,6,7 straight days. And that's just if you listen to his show. He just regurgitates the same things into his tweets. Pirates are 3.5 games back, and I'm far from a Nutting fan and I don't think the ownership has made all the right moves or smart moves, but now he's on "if they did this, if they did that they'd be in 1st place right now." I'm not sure exactly what being in 1st place at the All-Star break gets you. But he's got to cling to something since his never see .500 the rest of the year didn't pan out.

Yep. And I'm a Madden fan. And this has just gotten old. Like you said, I do agree with some of his points, and I know he pushes buttons to get listeners, and he phrases things so he is never wrong, but this topic just got old.

Especially because like you said, the Buccos are above .500 and only 3 1/2 games out of first. You can say "what if" about any team. Nothing is 100%, and even if they did make certain moves, it may not have worked out here.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:34 pm

I think we can all definitively say that the Pirates were right to let Burnett walk.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:39 pm

Troy Loney wrote:I think we can all definitively say that the Pirates were right to let Burnett walk.

MM wouldn't agree.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:43 pm

newarenanow wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:I think we can all definitively say that the Pirates were right to let Burnett walk.

MM wouldn't agree.

Who are you going to agree with? My track record for being right on most things is outstanding.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:08 pm

Is mark madden a respected dignitary of the lgp.com pirates thread? No. Therefore, he lacks credibility.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:11 pm

Troy Loney wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

MM wouldn't agree.

Who are you going to agree with? My track record for being right on most things is outstanding.

You didn't want to trade for Byrd. :pop:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:17 pm

Maybe, I don't recall.

But, those who did express negativity towards that trade will ultimately vindicated. Dilson Herrera is turning into an exciting prospect.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pens9192 on Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:25 pm

I think it was yesterday's show that Madden mentioned he was paid $3,000 a week when he was an announcer for WCW (If true, that comes out to $144,000 a year at the time plus his other gigs) I wold assume he is getting paid equal or more than that now. So yeah, there's that.
pens9192
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:31 pm

There wasn't a shred of sincerity to my statement.

But since you brought it up, i just assumed madden talks about his net worth as part of the "act". Intelligent people don't use their income as self validation openly like that.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:33 pm

incoming sweeping generalization
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:38 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:incoming sweeping generalization

it's definitely something people can take pride in and feel validation. but it's definitely a joke the way that madden does it.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:40 pm

I'm pretty sure he doesn't care what his critics think....unlike others in the PGH media. :wink:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR