The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn on Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:50 am

>> Subscription rates are $4 for a month, $24 for a year, $54 for three years. The latter category breaks down to $1.50 a month. The aim of keeping the price at roughly one-third that of comparable sites is to encourage more traffic, more discussion.

>> The site will have a metered paywall, meaning non-subscribers can read up to 10 articles per month. That includes seamless passage from Twitter, Facebook or any social media platform. New readers always will be more than welcome this way.

Anywhere from $4 to $1.50 a month the read the inane ramblings of a professional angry sports writer when you can read probably a third of his monthly columns (if you hate yourself) for free.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby RJW76 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:16 am

I know it's not acceptable to say in here, but I hope he does well with this.
RJW76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby stopper40 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:36 am

RJW76 wrote:I know it's not acceptable to say in here, but I hope he does well with this.

I don't think it's unacceptable to say "I hope he does well". I wish no ill will on him and hope he gets rich doing it. He'll get none of my money, I barely read his drivel now for free, I sure as heck won't pay for it
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:49 am

Its unacceptable to the extent that the vast amount of energy spent getting this thread to 246 pages revolved around bashing various media personalities.

With that in mind the man deserves credit for going out on his own. hes going to need a few thousand subscribers to make a go of it, but that seems plausible.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby peterleefan on Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:59 am

DudeMan2766 wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:dejan's point is frivolous to the point of insanity.

I told him he flat out said since the attendance was only going to be around 30K, anyone who wanted Polanco up was just following the narrative. His response (which he sent twice) was "Find it" I, along with someone else who was in the conversation, both screen shot the tweet where he said exactly that and sent it to him. We were both immediately blocked. I think Pat Lackey said it best last night when he said he hopes one day he'll master the art of making something completely irrelevant a big issue, then getting angry at people for treating it like its an issue.

I know I am late to the party but I wanted to share this about DK that is similar to the story above...

I emailed Dejan back in April about a column he wrote about James Neal. I asked him if heard rumors of Neal being tough to deal with - for media and even club officials. Dejan responded to me by saying that Neal has treated him poorly on a few occasions too. So now Neal gets traded and Dejan goes on Twitter wishing Neal well in Nashville and proclaimed that Neal was great to deal with and is a class act on and off the ice.

I emailed him after thay and reminded him that he admitted to me that Neal was not kind to him on a number of occasions so why take to Twitter and say he's a great guy? He responded by asking me why I was bringing up an email conversation from 3 months ago and accused me of being weird because I remembered the conversation. He never denied making the original comment about Neal nor did he address his contradiction - he just attempted to steer the conversation off-topic.
peterleefan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:00 am

on one hand, it seems incredibly idiotic/narcissistic to think that people will pay to read his slop and leave his full paying job to do so. however, there has to be some money in this we dont understand for him to even consider doing since he did have a job...
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:09 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:on one hand, it seems incredibly idiotic/narcissistic to think that people will pay to read his slop and leave his full paying job to do so. however, there has to be some money in this we dont understand for him to even consider doing since he did have a job...

Sponsorships, paywall, Adsense. There's money to be made if the reader base is big enough.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby peterleefan on Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:30 am

Malkamaniac wrote:
Letang Is The Truth wrote:on one hand, it seems incredibly idiotic/narcissistic to think that people will pay to read his slop and leave his full paying job to do so. however, there has to be some money in this we dont understand for him to even consider doing since he did have a job...

Sponsorships, paywall, Adsense. There's money to be made if the reader base is big enough.

How big?

1,000 subscriptions/month?

More than 1,000?

With all of the options for entertainment and information out there - I just dont see 1,000 people signing up for something readily available for free elsewhere.
peterleefan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby IanMoran on Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:34 pm

peterleefan wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:dejan's point is frivolous to the point of insanity.

I told him he flat out said since the attendance was only going to be around 30K, anyone who wanted Polanco up was just following the narrative. His response (which he sent twice) was "Find it" I, along with someone else who was in the conversation, both screen shot the tweet where he said exactly that and sent it to him. We were both immediately blocked. I think Pat Lackey said it best last night when he said he hopes one day he'll master the art of making something completely irrelevant a big issue, then getting angry at people for treating it like its an issue.

I know I am late to the party but I wanted to share this about DK that is similar to the story above...

I emailed Dejan back in April about a column he wrote about James Neal. I asked him if heard rumors of Neal being tough to deal with - for media and even club officials. Dejan responded to me by saying that Neal has treated him poorly on a few occasions too. So now Neal gets traded and Dejan goes on Twitter wishing Neal well in Nashville and proclaimed that Neal was great to deal with and is a class act on and off the ice.

I emailed him after thay and reminded him that he admitted to me that Neal was not kind to him on a number of occasions so why take to Twitter and say he's a great guy? He responded by asking me why I was bringing up an email conversation from 3 months ago and accused me of being weird because I remembered the conversation. He never denied making the original comment about Neal nor did he address his contradiction - he just attempted to steer the conversation off-topic.

Kind of funny he insulted you for paying too much attention. I forget what it was, but I tweeted him something which assumed he was from Winnipeg. I just follow him on twitter / occasionally see his Winnipeg rants, he went on a 4 tweet rant about me thinking I thought he was from wpg / Maybe ppl should actually pay attention or something
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:08 pm

peterleefan wrote:I emailed Dejan back in April about a column he wrote about James Neal. I asked him if heard rumors of Neal being tough to deal with - for media and even club officials. Dejan responded to me by saying that Neal has treated him poorly on a few occasions too. So now Neal gets traded and Dejan goes on Twitter wishing Neal well in Nashville and proclaimed that Neal was great to deal with and is a class act on and off the ice.

Yeah, I recall his hushed whispers (along with the rest of the Trib's brain trust) about Neal's personality, so I was a little - and I probably shouldn't have been - surprised when he and Rossi wrote articles about how a great a guy he is.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby peterleefan on Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:09 pm

Forgive me for not perusing thru all 246 pages looking for this but what is Paul Alexander up to these days besides the very occasional fill-in spot for Rob King?

Even when he was part of the morning team at 93.7, my memory has him being a part-time on-air personality at Root splitting time with Rob King...Its like he has disappeared since The Fan let him go unless he was getting paid to sit at home and the contract didnt allow him to work.
peterleefan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby JS© on Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:35 pm

I thought I saw him on ROOT a few weekends ago, but even then it seemed like a one-off fill-in for when Stan, Rob, Dan, Rob, Teke, Macha, or whoever else was left wasn't available for post-game wrapup.

I'm not sure if he's on twitter. I know he's on Facebook.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:19 pm

I saw him at the Root Sports desk in PNC Park for the Pirates Game I went to over Fourth July Weekend. He was at there for pre-game and post game stuff as I walked past him on the way to and from my seats.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:47 pm

I saw him yesterday at Kennywood in line for the Jack Rabbit.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DudeMan2766 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:54 pm

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Paul pass out at 31 Flavors last night.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby viva la ben on Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:58 pm

One time Paul Alexander drank four dozen mini bottles of vodka on a cross country flight.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FreeCandy44 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:18 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Paul pass out at 31 Flavors last night.

Love it
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:39 pm

Madden says he's uninterested in the NFL because of the character issues, yet his BFF is BRoeth.

Alrighty.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:52 pm

columbia wrote:Madden says he's uninterested in the NFL because of the character issues, yet his BFF is BRoeth.

Alrighty.

His exact words today were, "When Ben went into the bathroom with that girl, where nothing happened..."

He must have been there too.

And there's a lot I can put up with on his show without turning the channel, him railing on Tony Dungy has me switching stations all week. He's at a level of outrage that has to be fake. No way he can care that much about it.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:54 pm

yeah, i was going to say that he surely doesn't see any contradiction with the statement he made.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:06 pm

His choice line from last week was, "Jay Paterno never lets you down, because he always lets you down."
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:09 pm

Dunlap doing his best Madden impression. He's literally picking up where his show left off.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Crankshaft on Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:33 pm

Also fun watching Pittsburgh Cooler Talk getting into it with Dunlap ok twitter.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby IanMoran on Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:33 pm

Crankshaft wrote:Also fun watching Pittsburgh Cooler Talk getting into it with Dunlap ok twitter.

Yea, we should have avoided all that silliness to be completely honest.
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:17 pm

Maybe it's because they only ever talked about the Steelers when I was young, but I find it nearly impossible to listen to the yinzer magic radio people discuss dem Stillers.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR