The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby newarenanow on Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:52 am

That is a scary picture.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pens9192 on Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:02 am

Malkamaniac wrote:Madden is better than anything on the Fan, especially during the drive home. I understand the constant hate for the guy, but who actually talks about hockey or actually challenges the "Steelers can do nothing wrong in this town" like that guy can?

Ding, ding that's it.
pens9192
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:01 pm

DK is talking to this guy about taking the retaliation HBP out of the game, running the catcher, etc. Talking about taking the meathead aspect out of the game.

Then he casually drops that he beats his kids as punishment.

I love Pittsburgh sports fans.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens9192 on Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:03 pm

There is something about DK's voice.. Is he a smoker?

I wish more people during the "Ask DK anything" segment would ask some behind the scene questions about sports reporting and such instead of asking about Paul Martin next year or some jabroni on the Steelers for the 500th time.

That being said, I hope the Pirates figure out this Pedro Alvarez thing soon so all the sports radio stations can stop talking about it. K Thx
pens9192
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Dickie Dunn on Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:09 pm

pens9192 wrote:There is something about DK's voice.. Is he a smoker?

I wish more people during the "Ask DK anything" segment would ask some behind the scene questions about sports reporting and such instead of asking about Paul Martin next year or some jabroni on the Steelers for the 500th time.

That being said, I hope the Pirates figure out this Pedro Alvarez thing soon so all the sports radio stations can stop talking about it. K Thx

Yesterday someone asked who was the bigger fraud once the cameras went off, Hines Ward or Jason Grilli. He said Grilli by far and that he's never seen or dealt with another athlete like him before. I found it interesting just because people usually don't ask questions of that nature.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens9192 on Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:30 am

Dickie Dunn wrote:

Yesterday someone asked who was the bigger fraud once the cameras went off, Hines Ward or Jason Grilli. He said Grilli by far and that he's never seen or dealt with another athlete like him before. I found it interesting just because people usually don't ask questions of that nature.

Yeah, I heard that too and it prompted my comment. When I hear "What are you thoughts on XYZ Player.." I just tune out. The same thing when Madden is on and someone asks him a non-sports or a wrestling question my ears perk up.

BTW, why can't some yinzers say DK's first name? Some of them call up and say, "Hey Dan". Is that hard to pronounce "Day-on"?
pens9192
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Dickie Dunn on Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:35 am

pens9192 wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:

Yeah, I heard that too and it prompted my comment. When I hear "What are you thoughts on XYZ Player.." I just tune out. The same thing when Madden is on and someone asks him a non-sports or a wrestling question my ears perk up.

BTW, why can't some yinzers say DK's first name? Some of them call up and say, "Hey Dan". Is that hard to pronounce "Day-on"?

Same reason people called Jory Rand Jerry, Jordy, Jimmy and whatever the hell else he got. People are stupid.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DudeMan2766 on Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:02 pm

Its also amazing how many people will call Madden their own name and he has to correct them.

"Rick, you're on with Mark."
"Hey Rick I wanted to talk about the stillers..."
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Dickie Dunn on Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:20 pm

Listening to Dejan this week, it seems like his callers have been less moronic than the callers Madden usually gets, which makes me wonder if Madden's show screens for moronic callers so he can hit them with his shtick.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PghSkins on Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:07 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:Listening to Dejan this week, it seems like his callers have been less moronic than the callers Madden usually gets, which makes me wonder if Madden's show screens for moronic callers so he can hit them with his shtick.

I find that extremely..... easy to believe
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bioshock on Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:30 pm

PghSkins wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:Listening to Dejan this week, it seems like his callers have been less moronic than the callers Madden usually gets, which makes me wonder if Madden's show screens for moronic callers so he can hit them with his shtick.

I've wondered this myself. Kinda strange how those people disappear as soon as Madden is gone
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:35 pm

I thought it was known that madden did that. Maybe it was just a confident assumption.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:37 pm

Bioshock wrote:
PghSkins wrote:

I've wondered this myself. Kinda strange how those people disappear as soon as Madden is gone

I never bought the calls the X morning show got either. Yeah there are definitely those kind of people out there but every day, multiple times, no.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:39 pm

I think people like to mess with Madden and want to say he ripped them on the air so they call in and act dumb.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:32 am

if madden doesnt like a question for whatever reason, he will just treat the caller like garbage. sometimes the questions are legitimately stupid and sometimes they are just bad questions that an unknolwedgeable fan would ask, but madden responds with venom regardless. thats why everyone thinks all of his callers are dumb. For those same types of questions and comments, someone like bob grove takes them in stride.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:50 am

Like some others said, I think people call in and purposely ask those questions to get Madden fired up.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:54 am

You plant corn, you grow corn.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Dickie Dunn on Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:55 am

newarenanow wrote:

Like some others said, I think people call in and purposely ask those questions to get Madden fired up.

I can buy that as well. Overall, listening to Dejan for these past four days, I enjoyed his show. He's a good interviewer and for the most part the callers resulted in good conversation about a wide variety of topics. Its just crazy because since launching his own site Dejan has become a completely different person that the slightly psychotic columnist he had turned into for a while. Maybe he thinks this version of himself (which is probably closer to his actual personality) will sell the site better.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DudeMan2766 on Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:43 pm

Man, Madden really needs football season to start or something. He had a week off and comes back to having nothing but still constantly no selling Josh Harrisons play. Its funny since he's about 0/12 on his JHay predictions this year but we're the idiots because we cheer for him. Wish I was limber enough to do those mental gymnastics. He actually said the words yesterday, "I'm a real fan. I WANT the team to win." Then trolls everyone for rooting for the teams most consistent player over the last few months. Makes a ton sense. We all need to quit being so stupid and acknowledging good play from the players who are playing well, and just be real fans and want this team to win!
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Buhweet on Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:54 pm

JHay has to be the most underated player of all time in Pittsburgh.
Buhweet

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:57 pm

That would be an interesting discussion
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:06 pm

Underrated might not be the best word but underestimated might be a bit more appropriate. He obviously doesnt have the tangibles of a great ballplayer (he's short and he isnt toolsy). He was a college hitter that never was one to draw a whole lot of walks. On the other hand, he hit pretty much every where he went in the minors and his minor league OPS is pretty damn good.

With that in mind, the dude is absolutley raking. He is hitting pitches all over the place and hitting them hard.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Dickie Dunn on Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:14 pm

Anytime he discusses players or roster composition it becomes obvious how much of a star "fudger" Madden is. He sees no value in players unless they are superstars. Role players don't exist in his world. Everyone needs to be a future hall of famer and if they're not, the team is dedicated to winning and the fans are idiots for cheering for them.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DudeMan2766 on Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:27 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:Anytime he discusses players or roster composition it becomes obvious how much of a star "fudger" Madden is. He sees no value in players unless they are superstars. Role players don't exist in his world. Everyone needs to be a future hall of famer and if they're not, the team is dedicated to winning and the fans are idiots for cheering for them.

He spent weeks, seriously weeks, in March railing on how awful Brandon Sutter is. Then Sutter promptly becomes one of the Pens most consistent players down the stretch and in the playoffs. I mean its one thing to think a guy just isn't that good, its another to pretend like they have no business in the NHL, and Madden was getting into that territory. Of all people too, Brandon Sutter. I just didn't get the vitriol.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:38 am

Not sports radio related, not sure where to put it, could go in numerous threads, but I hate how Randy Bowman slobbers all over Billy Gardel.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR