The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Postby FreeCandy44 on Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:48 pm

Woohoo!!! Paul Zeise is on the radio, says nobody.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens9192 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:28 am

DudeMan2766 wrote:
IanMoran wrote: I just hate all the shock jock / gimmicky stuff. I always enjoyed listening to shows that just came off as a normal sports conversation between regular guys, because I love to talk sports with friends. The whole media vs. caller / trolling / often times insulting type of stuff puts me off. Must get the ratings though.. such is life.

A lot of it for me comes from these guys, and I'm talking about our local guys (the Fan, Trib, Madden, etc) seem to think they have to tweet a reaction to absolutely everything. When these guys can't have a thought enter their heads without putting it on twitter, there will be people out there that disagree and when they can't handle that it turns pretty irrelevant things in big issues.

Like Dejan and the attendance for Polanco's first game. You're telling me he had nothing better to do for the 3 hours that afternoon before the game than to argue with a hundred people on twitter and go on a blocking spree over a Tuesday night attendance prediction? Ever since Dunlap got that interview with Pedro Alvarez a month or so ago he's been super defensive every time he sees Pedro getting criticized. Labeling every one a "Pedro Hater" and having every time he does something right he's "Shutting up the haters." :roll:

The "We're better than you cause we dont criticize" was at an all time high for the media during the Pens first round play against Columbus. Even Yohe was on a high horse. I just can't believe these grown men get so much enjoyment from arguing daily with complete strangers because they don't view a minute sports story the way you do. I think some of them would be a hell of a lot more tolerable if they just put down the iPhone once in a while and realize they don't have to tweet an opinion about every little thing.

I think they get like that because of social media and that "instant" interaction. Back in the day, the only you could communicate with a Yohe or Dejan would be writing a letter and sending it to the newspaper or a phone call and who knows if you would get a response. Now you can tweet or email them, their phone shows a notification, and they can go off replying sometimes without even thinking straight. I am sure as a beat writer it is hard to walk the line between just reporting the facts and wanting to express your opinion.
Last edited by pens9192 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
pens9192
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:39 am

isnt it up to the sports writers to be.......professional?
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby IanMoran on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:49 pm

pens9192 wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:
IanMoran wrote: I just hate all the shock jock / gimmicky stuff. I always enjoyed listening to shows that just came off as a normal sports conversation between regular guys, because I love to talk sports with friends. The whole media vs. caller / trolling / often times insulting type of stuff puts me off. Must get the ratings though.. such is life.

A lot of it for me comes from these guys, and I'm talking about our local guys (the Fan, Trib, Madden, etc) seem to think they have to tweet a reaction to absolutely everything. When these guys can't have a thought enter their heads without putting it on twitter, there will be people out there that disagree and when they can't handle that it turns pretty irrelevant things in big issues.

Like Dejan and the attendance for Polanco's first game. You're telling me he had nothing better to do for the 3 hours that afternoon before the game than to argue with a hundred people on twitter and go on a blocking spree over a Tuesday night attendance prediction? Ever since Dunlap got that interview with Pedro Alvarez a month or so ago he's been super defensive every time he sees Pedro getting criticized. Labeling every one a "Pedro Hater" and having every time he does something right he's "Shutting up the haters." :roll:

The "We're better than you cause we dont criticize" was at an all time high for the media during the Pens first round play against Columbus. Even Yohe was on a high horse. I just can't believe these grown men get so much enjoyment from arguing daily with complete strangers because they don't view a minute sports story the way you do. I think some of them would be a hell of a lot more tolerable if they just put down the iPhone once in a while and realize they don't have to tweet an opinion about every little thing.

I think they get like that because of social media and that "instant" interaction. Back in the day, the only you could communicate with a Yohe or Dejan would be writing a letter and sending it to the newspaper or a phone call and who knows if you would get a response. Now you can tweet or email them, their phone shows a notification, and they can go off replying sometimes without even thinking straight. I am sure as a beat writer it is hard to walk the line between just reporting the facts and wanting to express your opinion.

I'm not really talking about their actions on social media. For instance, neither Dejan or Yohe (both active on Twitter) fall into the category I'm referencing. I'm talking about individuals whose entire "radio personality" is to be rude, insulting, disagreeing with fans no matter what to spark confrontational radio / attempt to be funny. It seems like that has increased in numbers in recent years. Maybe that's just my perception. I'm also not really insulting that, just not my cup of tea. One of my friends told me he loves Filliponi but finds Stan "boring". I couldn't disagree more, but I'm guessing I'm in the minority because radio stations definitely seem to go for the Filliponi types.
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby IanMoran on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:51 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:isnt it up to the sports writers to be.......professional?

Pure speculation, but I think most radio guys find themselves to be entertainers more than anything. Guys that have a more extensive career in journalism seem to act differently on the radio than guys who have primarily been radio guys.
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens9192 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:44 pm

IanMoran wrote:
pens9192 wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:

I'm not really talking about their actions on social media. For instance, neither Dejan or Yohe (both active on Twitter) fall into the category I'm referencing. I'm talking about individuals whose entire "radio personality" is to be rude, insulting, disagreeing with fans no matter what to spark confrontational radio / attempt to be funny. It seems like that has increased in numbers in recent years. Maybe that's just my perception. I'm also not really insulting that, just not my cup of tea. One of my friends told me he loves Filliponi but finds Stan "boring". I couldn't disagree more, but I'm guessing I'm in the minority because radio stations definitely seem to go for the Filliponi types.

Ah, ok. I misunderstood. Yeah the "radio entertainment shock" style is the trend now. I am guessing some marketing bafoon figured out that the sports radio key demographics want this style and will listen, so more revenue. I feel bad for your friend that he prefers Fillijabroni over Stan. Just sad. Fillijabroni tries to do this style and comes off as a poser. Dunlap is just as bad as he is grating.
pens9192
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FreeCandy44 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:46 pm

Dunlap seems like a bully on and off the radio.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:28 pm

Wheres that thread about what we contributed or made popular on LGP? I am proud to take credit for Filijabroni.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PghSkins on Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:32 am

Winner of the fan announcer competition has called today's Pirates lineup "pretty" about eleventy dozen times in three minutes.

Find new adjectives bro!
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:02 pm

I feel pretty....
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:14 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:Dunlap seems like a bully on and off the radio.

He is absolutely awful.

My immediate change the channel DJs on the Fan.

Poni
Dunlap
Meuller

All of them are just awful.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PghSkins on Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:08 pm

PAUL ZEISE
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Eismann on Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:13 pm

I think new guy Joe Rhodes has some potential. Don't mind that they've paired him up with Tab for some ripening. Hope he gets his chance.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FreeCandy44 on Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:31 pm

Did anyone catch why Madden had a bad time at the Kiss/Def Lep show yesterday?
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PghSkins on Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:36 pm

Why is the terrible voice of Colin Dunlap seemingly on this station 24/7?
Last edited by PghSkins on Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:37 pm

Eismann wrote:I think new guy Joe Rhodes has some potential. Don't mind that they've paired him up with Tab for some ripening. Hope he gets his chance.

I heard him yesterday with Chris Mack. Pretty sure that's a rottening. Does his arrival mean last years winner (Stacey I believe) is gonzo?
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby slappybrown on Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:56 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:Did anyone catch why Madden had a bad time at the Kiss/Def Lep show yesterday?

Josh Harrison was in the row in front of him.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:04 pm

I was busy this weekend and not on twitter much. Can anyone confirm if Chris Mueller was out somewhere drinking some type of beer with his girlfriend?
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:07 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:
Eismann wrote:I think new guy Joe Rhodes has some potential. Don't mind that they've paired him up with Tab for some ripening. Hope he gets his chance.

I heard him yesterday with Chris Mack. Pretty sure that's a rottening. Does his arrival mean last years winner (Stacey I believe) is gonzo?

I hope so, regardless if a woman is talking about sports or not my brain somehow manages to tune them out.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FreeCandy44 on Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:20 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:I was busy this weekend and not on twitter much. Can anyone confirm if Chris Mueller was out somewhere drinking some type of beer with his girlfriend?

This guy gets it
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tim Thomasen on Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:37 am

slappybrown wrote:
FreeCandy44 wrote:Did anyone catch why Madden had a bad time at the Kiss/Def Lep show yesterday?

Josh Harrison was in the row in front of him.

With Evgeni Malkin sitting right next to him.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Postby DropEmJayBird on Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:07 am

Found this story on a steeler site about a particular radio host on 105.9 the x. I guess two other people on the same message board have confirmed it.

Back in the summer in the late 80's this now radio host was a ref at Penn Hills Deck Hockey facility. He was a complete utter ***** bag. He had to be in his mid to late 20's he threw a teenager(13-14 year old kid) out of a hockey game for verbal abuse. The kid waited in the parking lot for the radio talk show host. The talk show host came out and this kid just wailed on him...he went to his back and turtled up the kid pound him and gave him the boots. The talk show host started whimpering the kid told him lick my shoe and I will stop...the talk show host did...Kid had dog **** on bottom of his shoe.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:11 am

it must be true.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Dickie Dunn on Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:13 am

Easily the truest story I have ever read.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Factorial on Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:13 am

Someone should call in his show today and ask if the story is true.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to NHR