TV Shows

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: TV Shows

Postby shmenguin on Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:07 pm

meecrofilm wrote:
Letang Is The Truth wrote:can himym really be spoiled?

Kind of... it's much more plot-centric than a show like, say, the Big Bang Theory, for instance, where I don't think there is any real investment in any of the characters for those who watch.

maybe his question was more like...how can something spoil when it's already gone rotten?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:44 pm

I just found out that Showtime Anytime is a channel for streaming now (like HBOGO). Anyone watch The Borgias?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby the wicked child on Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:10 pm

eddysnake wrote:completely forgot walking dead started back up, so I"m probably 4 or 5 behind. I didn't' want to go into the thread and have something spoiled. Has it been good since returning for the 2nd half?

Depends on who you ask. It's somewhat split atm, particularly in regards to the last episode.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby viva la ben on Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:30 pm

leading up to tonight's premier of the Neil Degrasse Tyson's Cosmos, Nat Geo is running a marathon of the original 1980 Carl Sagan series
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby dodint on Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:28 pm

I have that on DVD. My Dad got it for me as a high school graduation present. I love it.

Not planning on watching the new one. I know Sagans wife was involved and everything, but every time I've ever watched NDT he was being smarmy prick and I don't feel like being lectured at like that, especially in the context of a series that I hold in such high regard. Sagan had an air of wonderment, Nye has genuine enthusiasm, Tyson knows the stuff and thinks you're an idiot for not knowing it too and is taking time out of his busy life to lower himself to your level to show you. He's doing it wrong.
dodint
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby viva la ben on Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:22 pm

I don't get that at all about NDT.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby dodint on Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:25 pm

*shrug*
dodint
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby viva la ben on Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:37 pm

Spoiler:
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:25 pm

Who is that dude?
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:28 pm

dodint wrote:I have that on DVD. My Dad got it for me as a high school graduation present. I love it.

Not planning on watching the new one. I know Sagans wife was involved and everything, but every time I've ever watched NDT he was being smarmy prick and I don't feel like being lectured at like that, especially in the context of a series that I hold in such high regard. Sagan had an air of wonderment, Nye has genuine enthusiasm, Tyson knows the stuff and thinks you're an idiot for not knowing it too and is taking time out of his busy life to lower himself to your level to show you. He's doing it wrong.

How did you get that from the previews?
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby viva la ben on Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:41 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Who is that dude?

The host of the new version of Cosmos
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby dodint on Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:52 pm

Crankshaft wrote:
dodint wrote:I have that on DVD. My Dad got it for me as a high school graduation present. I love it.

How did you get that from the previews?

I didn't get it from previews. NDT has been around a while. The Daily Show interviews, Youtube, podcasts, etc. Maybe the Cosmos producers reel him in so he'll appeal to a broader audience, if so, good for them. I didn't care for him before the new Cosmos project was announced so I'm going to take a pass. I sincerely hope those that want to see it get as much out of it as I did the original.
dodint
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:14 pm

Can someone explain to me why Girls gets all of these accolades and love? The show is terrible. It is an intellectually vapid, empty show about a bunch of spoiled turds living in New York. Lena Dunham is terrible, both on the show and in real life. Nothing I want to see more then her constantly flaunting her doughy skin on camera every five minutes.

Lena Dunham is the girl that stands up screaming in your college seminar about women being oppressed, during a completely unrelated discussion.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:16 pm

I don't know who Lena Dunham is, but I agree with the first 3 sentences.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:19 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:Can someone explain to me why Girls gets all of these accolades and love?

it was an authentic portrayal of annoying girls in season 1. annoying girls would watch and say, "see? we're not that bad". and people that hate annoying girls would watch and say, "see? you're really terrible". and everyone was happy with the balance. than season 2 happened and any semblance of authenticity went down the toilet.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:56 pm

Wasn't Dunham the Orgasm commercial for Obama in 2012'?
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:33 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:Can someone explain to me why Girls gets all of these accolades and love? The show is terrible. It is an intellectually vapid, empty show about a bunch of spoiled turds living in New York. Lena Dunham is terrible, both on the show and in real life. Nothing I want to see more then her constantly flaunting her doughy skin on camera every five minutes.

Lena Dunham is the girl that stands up screaming in your college seminar about women being oppressed, during a completely unrelated discussion.

Being a graduate of a liberal arts school, this is pretty much why I couldn't make it past one episode. I had to spend enough time with those types of girls already, no need to spend any more.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby the wicked child on Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:35 pm

Nothing like sitting down to watch an hour long show on your DVR only to find out that it only recorded the first 32 minutes. Thanks Comcast!
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:26 am

the wicked child wrote:Nothing like sitting down to watch an hour long show on your DVR only to find out that it only recorded the first 32 minutes. Thanks Comcast!

Ouch
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:03 am

Comcast is the devil
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:05 am

The episode was available On Demand... complete with commercials. Fortunately, it didn't prevent me from fast forwarding or I would have been irate.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:12 am

HIMYM:

Spoiler:
That was a nice little twist, even though once they started to head down the path, the end was a little predictable. It tied together a lot of things that happened this season.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:15 am

newarenanow wrote:HIMYM:

Spoiler:
That was a nice little twist, even though once they started to head down the path, the end was a little predictable. It tied together a lot of things that happened this season.

Spoiler:
she walked out of the drug store carrying a small bag. i've never seen someone bag up a pack of cigarettes, so the misdirection wasn't that effective. pregnancy was pretty clear from the start. i don't really understand why she needed a steady stream of non-alcoholic beverages all season. aside from it just being bizarre, pregnant ladies + copious amounts of liquid = pee city. she'd be living in the bathroom.

aside from that, the tracy ulman cameo was painful. it's like the 3rd big reveal in 2 or 3 weeks that wasn't really a reveal.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:57 pm

Sweet.. Turns out that another show I recorded Sunday night died after 32 minutes too... only this one is *NOT* available On Demand... so I have to wait and see if it is on again. Naturally, there was a power outage earlier so the guide is still reloading.

Grrr...
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:56 pm

Bosch and The After (and two others I haven't watched) have apparently been picked up by Amazon.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to NHR