TV Shows

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: TV Shows

Postby shmenguin on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:58 am

HIMYM - blech. that show is getting progressively worse at portraying what it's like to make big life decisions. the characters are ridiculously casual about giant issues.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:03 am

JeffDFD wrote:
newarenanow wrote:Coming down the stretch for "traditional" network TV finales.

- Looking forward to the Office. Now that the documentary has hit, it is fun watching the show again. Interested to see how it ends. You can see the story lines that are going to wrap up forming.

- HIMYM, looking forward to finally see who the mother is. It is finally time that they should be getting really into that story line.

- I've been watching Community. Other than the puppet episode, I've actually enjoyed most of this season. It was a show I couldn't wait to finish up because it got really weird, but now I'm enjoying it again. Will be interesting to see what they do.

I was going to be OK for the puppet episode and then they started singing too. Near the end I said to my wife out loud..."this episode is really dumb." The only time we really laughed was during the outtakes when the Dean's nose got pulled off and he was talking about how much skin came off.

I have absolutely hated every community episode that they have done in this manner. The Claymation one, the 8 bit one (although that one was the best out of all of these), and now the puppet one.

I was fine too until it became a musical.

Outside of that episode, and the first one of this season, I have thought the rest were pretty good. They got away from the over the top focus of Abed, and went back to the group and Jeff.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:03 am

shmenguin wrote:HIMYM - blech. that show is getting progressively worse at portraying what it's like to make big life decisions. the characters are ridiculously casual about giant issues.

I don't think the show is supposed to show 100% real life.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:04 am

I didn't even give that episode a chance, and haven't watched another episode since then...but thats just coincidence.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:11 am

newarenanow wrote:
shmenguin wrote:HIMYM - blech. that show is getting progressively worse at portraying what it's like to make big life decisions. the characters are ridiculously casual about giant issues.

that's fine, but if you're going to be casual, be consistent. they do this thing where in one episode they try to be super poignant, and then the following week everything will go back to being a big goof.

and on a larger scale, they've spent several episodes over the course of the series devoted to marshall tirelessly searching for his dream job. and then they scrap that for the sake of a couple of easy gags and a contrived lilly arc. if you're going to be goofy, be goofy. but any time you try to get serious, it'll get more and more hollow.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:12 am

NAN, I'm with you on that, I'm dreading the puppet episode. Dean Pelton has become one of my favorite characters on tv.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:14 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I have completely dropped Mad Men from my watch list. It can't compete with Game of Thrones and I don't really go back to watch things.

thats pretty bold for a show that had 1 good season, a few episodes from last year, and so far so good for this year. Are those the only 2 shows you were watching?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:23 am

I watch a few shows, I went from watching like 12 shows a couple years ago down to just a few now. Between Pens, Braves, Nats, O's, and the odd Pirate game that is actually televised, I don't really have time to watch stuff.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:46 am

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Amazing Race
Spoiler:
With golf running long, I missed some of the episode. But the Battaglia brothers are cleaning up, which is good for hockey. Bates even wore his Hurricanes t-shirt on this leg. It made me uncomfortable to watch Chuck belittle his wife for two weeks. Ugh. Ugliness. Glad they are going home. Next to go? The obnoxious Youtubers.

it's another group of duds this season. the hockey guys aren't even particularly good at anything. everyone else is just terrible. there aren't even any good heels this year. i'm wondering what the strategy is with casting lately.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:07 am

that dude with the mullet is a *****.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:21 am

shmenguin wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

that's fine, but if you're going to be casual, be consistent. they do this thing where in one episode they try to be super poignant, and then the following week everything will go back to being a big goof.

and on a larger scale, they've spent several episodes over the course of the series devoted to marshall tirelessly searching for his dream job. and then they scrap that for the sake of a couple of easy gags and a contrived lilly arc. if you're going to be goofy, be goofy. but any time you try to get serious, it'll get more and more hollow.

Agreed. It was better when it was more or less full-steam-ahead goofy like it was the first few seasons. They tried to introduce more "heavy" stuff too late into the series, so it felt forced and unnatural. Contrast that to a show like Scrubs which was able to blend them together seamlessly since that's how it started out.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:24 am

watched the elvis episode and first date of new girl. i thought they were equally excellent
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:17 pm

Anyone else watching Bates Motel?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:17 pm

Kraftster wrote:Anyone else watching Bates Motel?

I think I have missed 2 or 3 shows since I watched the opener. I keep wanting to get back into watching it but I keep forgetting about how awesome it was. :scared:
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:01 pm

got around to finishing this week's HIMYM last night.

Spoiler:
anyone else get a feeling they are leading up to Barney/Robin's wedding only to have something happen at the wedding, and they don't go through with it? (or, they leave it hanging to the fall whether they do or don't)
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:03 pm

No, but I've been thinking of catching up.

Is it worth it?
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:05 pm

relantel wrote:got around to finishing this week's HIMYM last night.

Spoiler:
anyone else get a feeling they are leading up to Barney/Robin's wedding only to have something happen at the wedding, and they don't go through with it? (or, they leave it hanging to the fall whether they do or don't)

Spoiler:
they did a flash forward a few weeks ago that showed barney and robin dancing together at the reception. i think that seals the deal, as far as them going through with the wedding.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:08 pm

newarenanow wrote:

No, but I've been thinking of catching up.

Is it worth it?

If episode 1 was any indication, yes.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:30 pm

Breaking Bad returns August 11 @ 9
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:39 pm

the wicked child wrote:Breaking Bad returns August 11 @ 9

Blech. I thought it would be sooner.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:57 pm

Yeah, I was surprised/annoyed when I saw it myself.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:00 pm

Tried 1st episode of Hannibal. Turned it off halfway through. Not that it was bad but, after seeing the movies, there is no point to watching the series.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:33 pm

shmenguin wrote:
relantel wrote:got around to finishing this week's HIMYM last night.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
they did a flash forward a few weeks ago that showed barney and robin dancing together at the reception. i think that seals the deal, as far as them going through with the wedding.

Spoiler:
so, they decide not to go through with it...remain friends, and party with everyone to not waste the money. These shows can do anything they want when the end is in sight to get to where they want to be
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby canaan on Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:04 am

Sarcastic wrote:Tried 1st episode of Hannibal. Turned it off halfway through. Not that it was bad but, after seeing the movies, there is no point to watching the series.

the problem i have with hannibal is the same problem i have with bates motel (and, i guess, prequels in general) is that i already know the result. even in films where the good guy prevails at the end, i want to have that tension that "hey, so and so might not make it". When the cop shows up at the bates house, i know he isnt going to catch them as i know them when they are much older.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:10 am

Hemlock Grove comes out tomorrow on Netflix, previews looks pretty wild, hope it translates well into a the show. famke janssen in it already has me sold and what about Bill Skarsgård... so dreamy

and the Eli Roth citing Twin Peaks as his inspiration doesn't hurt
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR