TV Shows

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: TV Shows

Postby Chefpatrick871 on Mon May 20, 2013 1:36 am

:( to the cancelation of Warehouse 13

Anyone here watching Orphan Black on bbc??
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon May 20, 2013 8:31 am

Just saw this graphic on Reddit re: Arrested Development....interesting

Spoiler:
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby relantel on Mon May 20, 2013 11:10 am

HIMYM finale finally...
Spoiler:
what kind of crap non-ending is that???
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Beveridge on Mon May 20, 2013 11:28 am

relantel wrote:HIMYM finale finally...
Spoiler:
what kind of crap non-ending is that???

Spoiler:
Not as crappy as the rumor that the ENTIRE season finale is based on just the wedding weekend when they first meet.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon May 20, 2013 11:51 am

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/articl ... eries_.php

This is a pretty cool article about how tv networks are beginning to see value in ordering a shorter length series - such as The Following or the upcoming 24 miniseries.

In the past there was no chance of recouping investment thru syndication, since serialized drama and fewer episdoes dont translate well. But services like Netflix are great for that.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby relantel on Mon May 20, 2013 12:12 pm

WTF CBS. They have full episodes of every other show, but nothing on Person of Interest. Our DVR missed the 5/9 ep, the season finale, and while they have 5 eps of Criminal Minds et al (not missing those) nada on POI. Not on Hulu. Not on DirecTV's app. not on CBS's app. Not on itunes to buy even. Nada. Only thing CBS has is a 3 minute recap. Not cool. Not cool at all.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Mon May 20, 2013 12:15 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/493558-Syndication_Financing_the_Limited_Series_.php

This is a pretty cool article about how tv networks are beginning to see value in ordering a shorter length series - such as The Following or the upcoming 24 miniseries.

In the past there was no chance of recouping investment thru syndication, since serialized drama and fewer episdoes dont translate well. But services like Netflix are great for that.

It's almost buying into the Brit model. Short series (seasons), where multiple shows share the same timeslot throughout the year when they are off season. Kind of like AMC/FX seemed to do.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon May 20, 2013 12:20 pm

It just seems like it would make more sense for so many shows. I think Fox really got the ball rolling on it a few years back when they began airing 24 weekly for four consecutive months instead of running a bunch of reruns or something in December and then again in March.

Reruns are less important now too. If you missed an episode during the year you were able to catch it in the summer or one of the months the show was airing reruns. Now between DVR, Hulu, Amazon, Itunes, or straight piracy you're able to get a hold of it within hours of it ending. Which is even more important with serialized storytelling.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon May 20, 2013 12:23 pm

relantel wrote:WTF CBS. They have full episodes of every other show, but nothing on Person of Interest. Our DVR missed the 5/9 ep, the season finale, and while they have 5 eps of Criminal Minds et al (not missing those) nada on POI. Not on Hulu. Not on DirecTV's app. not on CBS's app. Not on itunes to buy even. Nada. Only thing CBS has is a 3 minute recap. Not cool. Not cool at all.

Thats gotta be the production company's policy. I bet they own their own rights to it.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Mon May 20, 2013 12:33 pm

relantel wrote:WTF CBS. They have full episodes of every other show, but nothing on Person of Interest. Our DVR missed the 5/9 ep, the season finale, and while they have 5 eps of Criminal Minds et al (not missing those) nada on POI. Not on Hulu. Not on DirecTV's app. not on CBS's app. Not on itunes to buy even. Nada. Only thing CBS has is a 3 minute recap. Not cool. Not cool at all.

Where do they have Criminal Minds episodes?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Mon May 20, 2013 1:05 pm

MRandall25 wrote:

Where do they have Criminal Minds episodes?

CBS.com, most recent 5 they aired. (Last three of season and a Dec 2012 and Jan 2013 episode that were repeat fillers)
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Mon May 20, 2013 1:07 pm

Well, at least that's a step forward from where they have been. I could never find Criminal Minds episodes that I missed the last few years.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Mon May 20, 2013 1:33 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Well, at least that's a step forward from where they have been. I could never find Criminal Minds episodes that I missed the last few years.

Criminal minds is all over the place these days, from weekend latenight on CBS, to ION, and other cable networks.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Mon May 20, 2013 1:39 pm

relantel wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Well, at least that's a step forward from where they have been. I could never find Criminal Minds episodes that I missed the last few years.

Criminal minds is all over the place these days, from weekend latenight on CBS, to ION, and other cable networks.

Oh yeah, I always watch the 1-3 block on A&E, but it would've been nice if they had the CBS.com stuff when I was able to actually follow the series (like 4 years ago). I missed the whole Prentiss side story that I see random episodes from during the re-runs.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Mon May 20, 2013 1:42 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
relantel wrote:

Oh yeah, I always watch the 1-3 block on A&E, but it would've been nice if they had the CBS.com stuff when I was able to actually follow the series (like 4 years ago). I missed the whole Prentiss side story that I see random episodes from during the re-runs.

ahh. We didn't really pick up on watching for real until at some point in 2011 after Numb3rs went away.

Just wait for it to get cancelled. A bunch of now-dead CBS shows are up in full on Hulu and elsewhere.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Mon May 20, 2013 1:58 pm

i still watch criminal minds, but it isnt nearly as good since mandy patinkin split.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon May 20, 2013 7:26 pm

No Mentalist episodes either (IIRC). So, I'll be torrenting Person of Interest when the season is finished.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rylan on Mon May 20, 2013 7:27 pm

The Mentalist still airs new episodes? I thought that series ended a few years ago..
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby blackjack68 on Mon May 20, 2013 7:51 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:No Mentalist episodes either (IIRC). So, I'll be torrenting Person of Interest when the season is finished.

Season is finished.
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby the wicked child on Mon May 20, 2013 7:56 pm

Rylan wrote:The Mentalist still airs new episodes? I thought that series ended a few years ago..

No, CBS just moved it into a Sunday 10PM* time slot where nobody is watching CBS.

* I didn't see any of this season, but according to a co-worker, it often started at random times so it was very difficult to even DVR
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Mon May 20, 2013 8:01 pm

That is weird. Why even keep the show if you are going to put it in a odd timeslot.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Mon May 20, 2013 8:03 pm

Rylan wrote:That is weird. Why even keep the show if you are going to put it in a odd timeslot.

It's CBS?

I mean most networks actually make their shows available on demand or at least on their website... if you miss a CBS show, they are basically forcing you to go out and pirate it if you want to see it... doesn't seem like the best business model to me.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Mon May 20, 2013 8:05 pm

And while we're on the topic of CBS, I hated the way they treated Person of Interest this season as well. They would show 1 or 2 new episodes, then it would either not be on for a couple weeks, or they would show repeats.

It was another awesome season... definitely one of my favorite shows on TV right now... but it was maddening that I couldn't rely on watching it on a week to week basis. It's a wonder that CBS makes any money to me.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Mon May 20, 2013 8:06 pm

lol fair enough. I haven't watched a new show that CBS aired in awhile so I am not aware of their issues. I do know that they don't like to part with their shows (see Netflix and Jericho). But, they have some of the most successful shows on television so it seems they aren't too worried about issues like not allowing people to view their shows...CBS just seems to be the jerks of TV.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Mon May 20, 2013 8:48 pm

Mad Men

Chevy = Vietnam?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR