TV Shows

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: TV Shows

Postby MWB on Mon May 20, 2013 9:35 pm

Gaucho wrote:Mad Men

Chevy = Vietnam?

I don't know, but that was a bizarre episode.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Tue May 21, 2013 8:28 am

MWB wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Mad Men

Chevy = Vietnam?

I don't know, but that was a bizarre episode.

sure was bizarre, Stan in with the "Russian roulette" scene reminded me of deer hunter. Now that I think about it, Gaucho that makes complete sense.

edit: looking around found this, more about Vietnam

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2013/05/20/mad_men_season_6_episode_8_the_crash_is_scdp_fighting_its_vietnam.html

also Harry Hamlin is strangely hilarious in this show.

Spoiler:
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Tue May 21, 2013 8:46 am

Regarding Mad Men, I always find some interesting things from this guys recaps:

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/review-mad-men-the-crash-need-for-speed
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Tue May 21, 2013 10:20 am

Yeah, I can't claim the Vietnam theory as my own. But the lighting, the colors, the bizzarre behavior, Dr. Feelgood, people sweating all the time... it all evoked a Apocalypse Now/Deer Hunter type of feel.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby largegarlic on Tue May 21, 2013 10:31 am

Yeah, that Mad Men episode was crazy. I agree about the Vietnam parallels. I can't remember if it was mentioned in this thread, but I've read reviews of the show that speculate that the Chevy car they're advertising is the Vega, which apparently was a notorious lemon. SCDP could very well be in a quagmire from which there is no escape without serious damage.

I also don't remember if this has been mentioned before, but I heard an interview with Matthew Weiner on NPR several weeks ago in which he said the season was about Don descending into hell (indicated by him reading Dante's Inferno on the beach in the season premier). You never know how far to trust Weiner (he sometimes seems to spread disinformation), but I've been taking that as the guiding thread for making sense of the season, even though it seems a little repetitive, since I thought season 4 was all about Don hitting rock bottom.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Tue May 21, 2013 10:58 am

I makes a lot of sense that at this point in time, the world of advertising as Don Draper knew it comes to an end. Don is obviously suffering from a full fledged depression and it's getting worse - so yes, he's descending into hell.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue May 21, 2013 10:59 am

For some reason I thought you were talking about Dreger and I was really confused.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Tue May 21, 2013 11:09 am

largegarlic wrote:Yeah, that Mad Men episode was crazy. I agree about the Vietnam parallels. I can't remember if it was mentioned in this thread, but I've read reviews of the show that speculate that the Chevy car they're advertising is the Vega, which apparently was a notorious lemon. SCDP could very well be in a quagmire from which there is no escape without serious damage.

I also don't remember if this has been mentioned before, but I heard an interview with Matthew Weiner on NPR several weeks ago in which he said the season was about Don descending into hell (indicated by him reading Dante's Inferno on the beach in the season premier). You never know how far to trust Weiner (he sometimes seems to spread disinformation), but I've been taking that as the guiding thread for making sense of the season, even though it seems a little repetitive, since I thought season 4 was all about Don hitting rock bottom.

It is the Vega and it did bomb eventually, but it was very successful the first few years
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Chefpatrick871 on Tue May 21, 2013 1:09 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:No Mentalist episodes either (IIRC). So, I'll be torrenting Person of Interest when the season is finished.

Doing the same thing, one of my favorite shows on tv right now.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens9192 on Tue May 21, 2013 1:55 pm

I am sad to see The Office go, RIP. I was a huge fan of the show and watched from start until end. The finale was good and gave us a chance to see the gang one last time, but Seasons 8 and 9 were not that great. Mediocre I guess. Especially compared to Seasons 1-7. Luckily Netflix Streaming has Season 1-8 available so I am starting back at the beginning. It will be great to see episodes I haven't seen for 8, 9 years. I think the show will stand the test of time.

Right now the only shows left that I have watched from the start are Big Bang Theory and The Mentalist, but I won't have the same feelings when those shows end. Nothing is else is on the horizon. Maybe I will check out Parks and Recreation.
pens9192
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MWB on Tue May 21, 2013 4:36 pm

Gaucho wrote:I makes a lot of sense that at this point in time, the world of advertising as Don Draper knew it comes to an end. Don is obviously suffering from a full fledged depression and it's getting worse - so yes, he's descending into hell.

Agree. The depression thing seems to be the add-on from his "descent" last season. He didn't used to really care about relationships, but the whole thing with Sylvia and how he basically begs her to be with him is new for his character.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby largegarlic on Tue May 21, 2013 4:42 pm

MWB wrote:
Gaucho wrote:I makes a lot of sense that at this point in time, the world of advertising as Don Draper knew it comes to an end. Don is obviously suffering from a full fledged depression and it's getting worse - so yes, he's descending into hell.

Agree. The depression thing seems to be the add-on from his "descent" last season. He didn't used to really care about relationships, but the whole thing with Sylvia and how he basically begs her to be with him is new for his character.

Yeah, maybe the happiness he seemed to have in the early part of his relationship with Megan was just a slight upward bump, and now the roller coaster is pointed straight down again.

In the interview I heard, Weiner also said that viewers would think he really painted himself into a corner by the end of this season, but that we should have faith, since he thinks he has a way out. I'm wondering if this season ends with Don, his marriage, and the whole company going down in flames.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Tue May 21, 2013 4:56 pm

If this were the last season I'd be at a point where I fully expect Don to kill himself in the final episode.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MWB on Tue May 21, 2013 5:26 pm

Gaucho wrote:If this were the last season I'd be at a point where I fully expect Don to kill himself in the final episode.

Isn't that how it's going to end? Is there one more season after this, or two?
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Tue May 21, 2013 5:59 pm

MWB wrote:
Gaucho wrote:If this were the last season I'd be at a point where I fully expect Don to kill himself in the final episode.

Isn't that how it's going to end? Is there one more season after this, or two?

One more, if I'm not mistaken. Yes, one more.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Wed May 22, 2013 11:33 am

Does anyone know what time on Sunday Netflix is releasing Arrested Development?
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby canaan on Wed May 22, 2013 11:35 am

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:Does anyone know what time on Sunday Netflix is releasing Arrested Development?

should be 3:01AM EST
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Wed May 22, 2013 11:37 am

I will pay someone handsomely if they could burn the new Arrested Development shows on a DVD for me.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Wed May 22, 2013 1:13 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:I will pay someone handsomely if they could burn the new Arrested Development shows on a DVD for me.

I think Netflix offers a free trial month.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby blackjack68 on Wed May 22, 2013 1:32 pm

So how did everyone like the Dancing with the Stars finale?

:pop:
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Sarcastic on Wed May 22, 2013 1:41 pm

blackjack68 wrote:So how did everyone like the Dancing with the Stars finale?

:pop:

i read an article blasting it and they linked the video. what you had was a fat girl and a gay guy trying to look sexy on a stripper pole.

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

and before someone jumps at me about the fat girl thing... for crying out loud, i like lean and/or athletic girls.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Wed May 22, 2013 1:55 pm

caught up on...

Mindy Project 5/7 & 5/14 -
Spoiler:
ho hum last two episodes, so much that I listened to them primarily in the car. Assume she didn't go to Haiti.

Body of Proof 4/23, 5/7, 5/14 -
Spoiler:
I don't remember much about the most recent one, but the two before it were pretty good. Unless I am thinking of the most recent two - 5/7 involved a plane crash/blackout and the other one I remember was about an escaped convict (actor played Eric Greene in Jericho) who tries to convince Delany's character that he's innocent
- season finale (presumably series finale) is set to air 5/28.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: PM me your email addy for invite to LGP Extra Attacker league

Postby newarenanow on Wed May 22, 2013 2:04 pm

Sarcastic wrote:and before someone jumps at me about the fat girl thing... for crying out loud, i like lean and/or athletic girls.

:lol: I'm just laughing because she is an olympic gymnast. That's pretty athletic IMO.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed May 22, 2013 2:08 pm

Aly Raisman was pole dancing? I'll have to check out the On Demand
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed May 22, 2013 2:13 pm

newarenanow wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:and before someone jumps at me about the fat girl thing... for crying out loud, i like lean and/or athletic girls.

:lol: I'm just laughing because she is an olympic gymnast. That's pretty athletic IMO.

Weight: 115 lbs (52 kg)
Height: 5' 2" (1.57 m)

yup, definitely a fat cow
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR