TV Shows

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: TV Shows

Postby shmenguin on Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:49 pm

I guess if you're shooting 24x7 on like 50 cameras, you run out of storage pretty quick if you're shooting in HD
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:45 pm

i grow tired of big brother.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Spangler on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:59 pm

skullman80 wrote:
canaan wrote:Big brother being in SD is obnoxious

The fact that anything, especially something on a major network is still broadcast in SD makes zero sense to me. Stuff is almost unwatchable on my bigger tv.

My theory, is the BB house is using outdated cameras, and CBS would have to replace all of them, but they don't want to put the money into it? I have no idea why there isn't HD.

Still early, but nearly all the women seem like obnoxious morons.

And what the hell is up with After Dark being on the TV guide network? Looks like they will censor the hell out of it.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FreeCandy44 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:36 pm

Watching Conan tonight and it hit me, Elijah Wood is such a cool guy and great actor.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Im The Wreck Of You, Im The Death Of You All ~ Soundgarden

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:20 pm

Spangler wrote:
skullman80 wrote:
canaan wrote:Big brother being in SD is obnoxious

The fact that anything, especially something on a major network is still broadcast in SD makes zero sense to me. Stuff is almost unwatchable on my bigger tv.

My theory, is the BB house is using outdated cameras, and CBS would have to replace all of them, but they don't want to put the money into it? I have no idea why there isn't HD.

Still early, but nearly all the women seem like obnoxious morons.

And what the hell is up with After Dark being on the TV guide network? Looks like they will censor the hell out of it.

My gf got the feeds yesterday so I actually have them on right now here. Thank god you can watch on a laptop or phone because I plan on some travelling this summer again and so I wouldn't be able to keep up. (if anyone is planning on the same, you'll have to use a cookie manager/editor to change your location to U.S. or it won't work - Firefox has been recommended to me over other browsers in regard to this)

This cast seems pretty good. All the girls look good (Kaitlin is my fav. - blonde Staten Island bimbo Gina my least). Guys mostly suck, except Spector and Judd. But I think it's going to be a competitive cast and all these girls have an attitude.

Yes, what's up with the SD. it's 2013. Damn CBS. I hate CBS. They have the worst network setup of all. NBC and ABC are always HD and have beautiful video players. CBS is like 10 years behind. Even when watching TV episode streams, much of the time I'd get a fuzzy picture and have to stop. So I'd just download my shows instead. Anyway, the feed quality is pretty good, just as long as you don't blow it up on a big TV. I hope someone comes up with a 3rd party app.

I put it on the TVGuide Network last night because I couldn't load the feeds for some reason, and WOW, they cut out all the swearing so basically BBAD is useless. Nick and Howard were talking and swearing so much, I couldn't even follow their conversation.

This could get heated once the season gets rolling, looking at this cast.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby largegarlic on Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:57 pm

MWB wrote:Mad Men:
Spoiler:
Just watched the finale last night. Not really sure what to make of it. Everyone is pretty much going downhill, except Bob. And I'm still not really sure what to make of him. Did his friend kill Pete's wife and they were trying to get money out of the deal? Is Bob just a con man, who is going to end up trying to take Joan for a ride too? It's hard to make Pete a sympathetic character, but Bob did that. Gotta figure next season starts with Don back at the company. Did Pete choose to go to CA, or was he shipped off there?

Spoiler:
You knows what the writers are thinking, but I don't see Don going back to advertising. I thought the finale was about him finally giving up the exercise of maintaining his carefully fabricated identity and selling that identity to the business world and his family. His meltdown in the meeting with Hershey seemed to indicate that his genius as an ad man was tied to his ability to fabricate his own life story and character out of nothing. Without the latter, the former ceases too. I don't know what the show would be like without Don at SCP, but it would kind of false to me if next season starts, and he's back after his "suspension" (or whatever the partners want to call it). I'd kind of like to see him go to California with Megan and try to break into the movie/TV business.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MWB on Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:02 pm

largegarlic wrote:
Spoiler:
Just watched the finale last night. Not really sure what to make of it. Everyone is pretty much going downhill, except Bob. And I'm still not really sure what to make of him. Did his friend kill Pete's wife and they were trying to get money out of the deal? Is Bob just a con man, who is going to end up trying to take Joan for a ride too? It's hard to make Pete a sympathetic character, but Bob did that. Gotta figure next season starts with Don back at the company. Did Pete choose to go to CA, or was he shipped off there?

Spoiler:
You knows what the writers are thinking, but I don't see Don going back to advertising. I thought the finale was about him finally giving up the exercise of maintaining his carefully fabricated identity and selling that identity to the business world and his family. His meltdown in the meeting with Hershey seemed to indicate that his genius as an ad man was tied to his ability to fabricate his own life story and character out of nothing. Without the latter, the former ceases too. I don't know what the show would be like without Don at SCP, but it would kind of false to me if next season starts, and he's back after his "suspension" (or whatever the partners want to call it). I'd kind of like to see him go to California with Megan and try to break into the movie/TV business.

Spoiler:
That's an interesting thought about Don going to California. Just think it would be tough for the show to exist in two separate locations and still have the character connections they have now. But maybe they could pull it off for one season.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:21 pm

MWB wrote:
largegarlic wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
That's an interesting thought about Don going to California. Just think it would be tough for the show to exist in two separate locations and still have the character connections they have now. But maybe they could pull it off for one season.

I really have no idea where they are going with this, but I'm definitely excited for the final season.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby blackjack68 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:30 pm

Big Brother was over after year 2. Blah.
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:33 pm

mad men
Spoiler:
i don't think don moves away from his kids. the california thing was just a flirtation and a mechanism to get rid of megan. her character has run its course.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:38 pm

shmenguin wrote:mad men
Spoiler:
i don't think don moves away from his kids. the california thing was just a flirtation and a mechanism to get rid of megan. her character has run its course.

Spoiler:
I don't know, my impression is he really wants to salvage that marriage. His series-long depression seems to have culminated in the realisation that he has to change and I guess series 7 is about whether he is able to do it. Maybe.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:43 pm

Gaucho wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I don't know, my impression is he really wants to salvage that marriage. His series-long depression seems to have culminated in the realisation that he has to change and I guess series 7 is about whether he is able to do it. Maybe.

Spoiler:
the basis of their marriage was don chasing a fantasy. i don't think there's anything to salvage
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby obhave on Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:47 pm

Gaucho wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

watched the finale today

In terms of Don
Spoiler:
I agree with shmenguin, I think that Don doesn't go to California. With the final scenes being with his kids, I think that is a sign that he is more likely to stay with them and bring them more into his life then Megan. Her character has always bored me and I hope they have sent her off to California to stay there.

Bob:
Spoiler:
Who the hell is this guy? This character still bewilders me. Why kill the mother? Its not like that really punishes Pete. I still don't find Pete to be a sympathetic character and probably never will. I must say, him falling on the stairs was probably one of my favorite things this entire season.
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MWB on Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:51 pm

Still makes me :lol:
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby largegarlic on Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:52 pm

Gaucho wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Since the beginning of season 5, I thought it would a good twist if the Don/Megan marriage actually ended up working out. At the end of season 4, it seemed like an impulsive, cliche rebound marriage to the latest attractive secretary (like Roger and Jane). However, I thought season 5 did a pretty good job of showing that Megan is more intelligent, capable, and broad-minded than the typical SCP secretary and was a much better match for Don than Betty ever was. It could be one of the few shows or movies where the guy ending up with the girl actually is surprising.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:53 pm

Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like Megan all that much.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MWB on Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:53 pm

Some funny stuff on Grantland about MM:

http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollywood ... in-care-of

I also heard that for Pete, the actor was supposed to put on extra weight, but couldn't. They also shaved his hairline in an effort to make it look like he was falling apart this year.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MWB on Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:55 pm

More MM

Spoiler:
I don't think he ends up with Megan either. I do agree that he's opening up, letting go of the things that are more fake and superficial. She's a symbol of that. Showing the kids the house shows them the real him, at least a little.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby the wicked child on Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:07 pm

I've seen a lot of wacky stuff on Mystery Diners, but people running a pop-up Tex-Mex restaurant on the owner's day off in an Italian restaurant is definitely up there.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:24 pm

I like that show Gaucho, but it still seems so fake. I can't picture people really acting like that.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Im The Wreck Of You, Im The Death Of You All ~ Soundgarden

Postby eddysnake on Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:38 am

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
i agree with you here, she never materialized into much, but did make Betty interesting this year. The Hershey scene was incredibly powerful, this whole season has slowly shown Don transforming back into Dick Whitman and this finally turned him. Going to be very interesting to see where this goes next season.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby canaan on Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:40 am

FreeCandy44 wrote:I like that show Gaucho, but it still seems so fake. I can't picture people really acting like that.

its most assuredly ridiculously staged.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:16 am

I really, really liked the use of Judy Collins "Both Sides Now" on the end credits for the finale of Mad Men. Perfect song choice.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby rasbatch on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:21 am

Anyone catching Maron on IFC? Some episodes are really funny and some are just alright, but I really
hope it gets renewed.
rasbatch
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby eddysnake on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:42 am

obhave wrote:
Gaucho wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

watched the finale today

In terms of Don
Spoiler:
I agree with shmenguin, I think that Don doesn't go to California. With the final scenes being with his kids, I think that is a sign that he is more likely to stay with them and bring them more into his life then Megan. Her character has always bored me and I hope they have sent her off to California to stay there.

Bob:
Spoiler:
Who the hell is this guy? This character still bewilders me. Why kill the mother? Its not like that really punishes Pete. I still don't find Pete to be a sympathetic character and probably never will. I must say, him falling on the stairs was probably one of my favorite things this entire season.

Bob...
Spoiler:
After Pete said he'd never let it go with his mother, did you see how fast Bob "dismissed" him with Chevy? He's evil and like someone said earlier, he is kinda like a con man (going after the moms $?), it makes me wonder what his angle is with Joan?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR