TV Shows

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: TV Shows

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:25 am

General Hospital.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:30 am

eddysnake wrote:
cheesesteakwithegg wrote:What show should I start next - The Shield or Justified?

small wonder

Holy crap, I forgot about that show.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:53 am

Graceland is a very good show
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:01 pm

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:What show should I start next - The Shield or Justified?

The Shield.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Mr. Colby on Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:30 pm

Spum wrote:Also with Aaryn winning HOH, what are the odds of Coup d'Etat or Pandoras Box? 50/50? 70/30?

when is the last time coup d'etat was given in BB? it's been a few seasons i think...

Pandora's box i believe is a high probability this week
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:31 pm

especially with Elissa unable to play the pOV
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Froggy on Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:03 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:

The Shield.

yeah, the shield is super good.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Spum on Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:42 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:
when is the last time coup d'etat was given in BB? it's been a few seasons

The last coup d'état was in Jeff and Jordan's first season which led to the hilarious Jesse funeral and Chima getting kicked out. In the Brigade season they gave the Diamond Power of Veto which was basically the same thing.
Spum
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Dickie Dunn on Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:49 pm

Froggy wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:

The Shield.

The Shield is in my top five for all time favorite TV dramas. Aside from being an awesome show, its impact on cable TV too often goes unnoticed. Chiklis is awesome throughout the series, but the real eye-opener is Walton Goggins, who made Shane an amazing character and by the end of the series has grown into the best actor on the show.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:51 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:
Froggy wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:

The Shield.

The Shield is in my top five for all time favorite TV dramas. Aside from being an awesome show, its impact on cable TV too often goes unnoticed. Chiklis is awesome throughout the series, but the real eye-opener is Walton Goggins, who made Shane an amazing character and by the end of the series has grown into the best actor on the show.

Interestingly enough, Goggins is excellent in Justified.

As The Shield is off the air (i.e. not making new episodes), check out Justified first (as it's still in production) to get caught up before the next season (Jan-Feb-ish start). Definitely one of the best written shows on TV - dialogue if not always plot. I would put it firmly behind the Emmy nominated shows and the likes of Boardwalk Empire and Hell on Wheels. Top 15 drama IMO.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:05 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:Sullivan and Son has to be the absolute worst sitcom I've seen in years.

Why did they have to set it in Pittsbugh?

I "happened" across this show with my wife last weekend, while out of town. I remembered hearing about it here, but as we don't have cable, never really knew what it was about, apart from being set in Pittsburgh.

Terrible, terrible show. I watched the one with Mike from Mike and Molly (who actually is from Pittsburgh) who played a hockey coach from a rival team to the main character's team. Of course, they played each other as kids, so there is that rivaly etc. Ryan Miller showed up for a cameo. Bizarre.

Then Brian Doyle-Murray is this terrible racist. None of his lines could be repeated on here without a lovetap from Admin or Netwolf. :lol: In other sitcoms, the bigoted character is a buffoon like Archie Bunker, where a racist line would be followed by a verbal smackdown or an embarrassing scene by the offended character. I waited for the African-American character or Middle Eastern character to say something back, but they kind of looked at Doyle-Murray's character and rolled their eyes. So strange...and discomforting.

As an interesting sidenote, the main character - comedian Steve Byrne - moved to Pittsburgh at about the same time I did (1987-ish). We're the same age, and have very similar fond memories of Pittsburgh. Going to Penguins and Bucs games, Ross Park/Monroeville Malls, and so on. He considers Pittsburgh "home," despite living many other places since then - and I always refer to Pittsburgh as "where I'm from," despite only living there for 3+ years in middle/high school. Despite the crappy weather, y'all have a nice place to live.

And I don't want people thinking I'm from South Carolina. :lol:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:36 pm

Under the dome

I want to like this show I really do. But....the acting and the characters are just meh. I guess ill finish it.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:13 am

Unforgettable.... might be the first show to be a spinoff of itself.
Spoiler:
They kept the two leads and the ME, but shifted elsewhere in NYPD, and pull in new supporting cast.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:48 am

Less than 2 weeks until Hell On Wheels and Breaking Bad return. :scared:
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:01 am

just finished season 3 of breaking bad. hope i can squeeze in the rest of 4 and the first half of 5 before it comes back
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:02 am

the wicked child wrote:Less than 2 weeks until Hell On Wheels and Breaking Bad return. :scared:

I'm pumped for HoW. I still can't believe they killed Lilly.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:10 am

I'm not sure where HoW is going to go from here, but S2 was great so I'm looking forward to it. Still perplexed as to why they moved it to Saturday though...
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:37 pm

Not sure how it was possible but the second season of Twin Peaks is weirder than the first...
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:07 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:Under the dome

I want to like this show I really do. But....the acting and the characters are just meh. I guess ill finish it.

Never seen a second of it.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:17 pm

You guys watched the BB show last night? Couple of inconsistencies and I suppose it was due to CBS feeling heat over the racist stuff. When Aaryn questioned about the 'asked/axed' thing, it wasn't directed to Candice but Gina. Gina has a major learning disability, btw, and always makes up her own words which is hilarious. She is the one who keeps saying 'axed'. Candice speaks really well. But it felt like they tried to make it look like Aaryn made fun of Candice, which just wasn't the case.

Another thing and that sorta pissed me off is when they showed Aaryn's nominations, they showed her hug with everyone in the house but Elissa. Well, they hugged each other then too, and a few minutes later Elissa came up with Aaryn's HOH room and gave her a second big hug. They've been eating together and talking normally since then. Not that they're not going to try to eliminate one another for gaming reasons at some point (Helen may actually target Aaryn next week, which is an a-hole move, imo.. at least give her another week after what she did for Helen), but at least they're being friendly.

Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:23 pm

Aaryn is spot on with how Gina walks... pretty funny.

Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:18 pm

Aaryn seems to have really turned into a different person the past week or two. I know a lot of it has to do with her back being against the wall, but she has seemed pretty "normal" if you will. I almost feel bad now that she was fired from her job and America hates her.

I do think CBS tried to keep the racist/Aaryn hate going by splicing a few things together that told a different story.

Aaryn still dug her own grave the first few weeks, but if she would have come into the game and act like she is now, she would probably be a favorite. I think a lot of it had to do with the group she hung out with and how they fed on each other. Jeremy also didnt' seem that bad his final week.

Elissa has been the opposite for me. She was one of my favorites, but now just seems like a total whack job.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby relantel on Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:23 pm

Falling Skies...

Spoiler:
they get the mole

and
Spoiler:
apparently Ann and Lexie are dead.
relantel