TV Shows

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: TV Shows

Postby Rylan on Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:50 pm

I don't understand the stigma against steroids.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:08 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:
eddysnake wrote:is that a good thing? In this shield show, are these made up superheroes for tv or does it actually take place in the marvel world with all the big dogs?

The pilot tied in debris left from the battle in NYC (Avengers) and Extremis technology (IM3).

I think the show will show them investigating the technologies discussed in the films like gamma radiation. They won't have to go fight Doctor Doom, but maybe they'll have to go after a terrorists group using Hydra weapons.

It would be really cool if sweeps episodes, or ones airing right around movie releases, can have the stars show up as guests. I could definitely see the end of the season tying into Captain America 2 and it's aftermath, since that will be very Shield heavy.

that sounds interesting, as someone who quite enjoys superhero flicks (but hated Avengers), I think that would be cool to tie it all in and may end up changing my thoughts on the Avengers, but it also sounds like an investment of time that I'm not sure I want to deal with.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Dickie Dunn on Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:47 pm

Rylan wrote:I don't understand the stigma against steroids.

I was simply stating that there's no doubt that he (along with most actors that go through amazing transformations) used steroids. I have nothing against steroids, support the de-criminalization of steroids, and consistently recommend the documentary "Bigger, Stronger, Faster", which despite not being explicitly pro or con steroids, provides the basis for most of my beliefs.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby since1970 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:53 pm

this is a stupid question, but since most actors are thin to begin with, is it possible to add the mass w/o steriods, almost like they're already stripped of body fat, and just need to add the muscle? Plus, does the camera still add weight, and if so do they really get as big as they look?
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:05 pm

For starters, most of these guys work out with personal trainers. Sometimes movie shooting schedules will be based around an actor gaining or losing weight for a role (Castaway being the most famous example).

Chris Evans was pretty fit in Fantastic Four, and looked like a pro wrestler in Captain America. But he doesn't spend most of the movie with his shirt off. I'd venture to guess he did the same kind of workout bodybuilders do immediately before going on stage in competition - something to induce bloodflow to his chest, arms, and shoulders to temporarily swell him up. Its the same thing I do before going to Diesel Club Lounge.

I think the Man of Steel suit added extra bulk. Henry Cavill obviously worked out a ton, but that suit in still photos looks weird.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:08 pm

There is a pretty well accepted list of negative side affects to abusing steroids, and when celebrities are revealed to have used them to great benefit, it encourages others to use them.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:13 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:

There is a pretty well accepted list of negative side affects to abusing steroids, and when celebrities are revealed to have used them to great benefit, it encourages others to use them.

Keyword is abusing. If you abuse any substance bad things will happen.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby since1970 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:15 pm

[quote="pittsoccer33"]For starters, most of these guys work out with personal trainers. Sometimes movie shooting schedules will be based around an actor gaining or losing weight for a role (Castaway being the most famous example).

Chris Evans was pretty fit in Fantastic Four, and looked like a pro wrestler in Captain America. But he doesn't spend most of the movie with his shirt off. I'd venture to guess he did the same kind of workout bodybuilders do immediately before going on stage in competition - something to induce bloodflow to his chest, arms, and shoulders to temporarily swell him up. Its the same thing I do before going to Diesel Club Lounge.

I think the Man of Steel suit added extra bulk. Henry Cavill obviously worked out a ton, but that suit in still photos looks weird.

pumpin' for Diesel...lol!!!!! I thought it might be something closer to this, cause actors that go through crazy transfomations like DeNiro, Hanks seem to age quickly, it's has to take a toll on your body
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:16 pm

I think Christian Bale is the only actor that really really really liked to change his appearance for roles. Though I have heard he is done with that.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:20 pm

Rylan wrote:I think Christian Bale is the only actor that really really really liked to change his appearance for roles. Though I have heard he is done with that.

Two examples I can think of:

De Niro putting on about 70 pounds for "Raging Bull."

Adrian Brody losing about 30 pounds for the "The Pianist." They actually shot it in reverse, so he was at his thinnest at the beginning of the filming.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:21 pm

Rylan wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:

That is the wrong focus. Using them for any reason other than some sort of health recovery is abuse. Using them to bulk up is abuse.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:24 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
Rylan wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:

That is the wrong focus. Using them for any reason other than some sort of health recovery is abuse. Using them to bulk up is abuse.

Fair enough. If people want to use them though, let them. Smoking and drinking are deemed acceptable with a wide array of known medical issues caused by them that I am fine allowing someone use a substance to benefit themselves.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:26 pm

Not that I don't agree with you in regards to people using steroids... but aren't steroids illegal? I mean unless you have a script for them from a doctor? You can't acquire them legally unless you go to a physician.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:28 pm

Rylan wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
Rylan wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:

Fair enough. If people want to use them though, let them. Smoking and drinking are deemed acceptable with a wide array of known medical issues caused by them that I am fine allowing someone use a substance to benefit themselves.

...There isn't a negative stigma to smoking and drinking?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby skullman80 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:28 pm

I would say nowhere near the one that there is with steroids.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:31 pm

I don't think nearly to the extent that steroids is. Obviously I could be way off, but those two items are way more accepted than steroids are.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:33 pm

I would assume smoking was right there with steroids, drinking is obviously less so, but smoking and drinking aren't illegal either.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:37 pm

That is my point though Idoit, I don't understand (obviously money was involved) why steroids were considered illegal while other equally unhealthy and more detrimental to society (drunk driving and second hand smoke) are legal.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:38 pm

I found out something about steriods as a result of my injury.

My doctor asked me if I had ever taken steroids for a long period of time. Told him I've never taken them in any form, and asked why.

Steroids weaken tendons. Which is why ruptured quad tendons usually happen to people who take steroids for long periods of time to treat a medical condition, and whose tendons are weakened as well by the natural aging process. This is an injury that happens to people over 40.

And bodybuilders. :pop:
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:46 pm

Rylan wrote:That is my point though Idoit, I don't understand (obviously money was involved) why steroids were considered illegal while other equally unhealthy and more detrimental to society (drunk driving and second hand smoke) are legal.

They aren't considered illegal, they are illegal. They should be too, because people that take them unnecessarily are endangering themselves. I agree that cigarettes should be illegal as well, but I don't think that has anything to do with steroids needing to be legal.

I don't really want to argue that though, I just think there is a negative stigma for all of them and there should be.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:46 pm

For starters, most of these guys work out with personal trainers. Sometimes movie shooting schedules will be based around an actor gaining or losing weight for a role (Castaway being the most famous example).

pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:47 pm

what just happened?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:49 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
Rylan wrote:That is my point though Idoit, I don't understand (obviously money was involved) why steroids were considered illegal while other equally unhealthy and more detrimental to society (drunk driving and second hand smoke) are legal.

They aren't considered illegal, they are illegal. They should be too, because people that take them unnecessarily are endangering themselves. I agree that cigarettes should be illegal as well, but I don't think that has anything to do with steroids needing to be legal.

I don't really want to argue that though, I just think there is a negative stigma for all of them and there should be.

I just think if people want to kill themselves, let them.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GSdrums87 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:53 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:what just happened?

I saw it too
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:54 pm

Thats fine, but when high school kids are looking up to people and getting influenced to do it thats where the problem comes in. I think people should be given a chance to fully develop their brain then make the decision to throw their health away. :pop:
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR