TV Shows

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: TV Shows

Postby Chefpatrick871 on Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:48 am

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:You don't win friends with salad. You don't win friends with salad.

I say this at work all the time and everyone looks at me like I'm an idiot.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:58 pm

Chefpatrick871 wrote:
Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:You don't win friends with salad. You don't win friends with salad.

I say this at work all the time and everyone looks at me like I'm an idiot.

They obviously don't have enough culture in their lives.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby 71Aj66ax87 on Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:23 pm

71Aj66ax87
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby the wicked child on Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:34 pm

relantel wrote:
blackjack68 wrote:Person of Interest continues to be a well written and acted show that progresses a larger storyline each week in addition to the weekly "rescue."

Spoiler:
the duality of the machine, i.e. feeding Root, while also feeding Finch, John & Shaw, and the hunt for the machine, appear to be the longer arcs of the season, even if they hadn't shown the same feeding to John as Root in recent eps.

I have mixed feelings about where the overall story line is going, but I'm still enjoying the show. I kind of feel like they're trying to cram too much into an episode sometimes though.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Chefpatrick871 on Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:14 pm

Anyone else here watch trailer park boys?
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby blackjack68 on Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:57 pm

the wicked child wrote:
relantel wrote:
blackjack68 wrote:Person of Interest continues to be a well written and acted show that progresses a larger storyline each week in addition to the weekly "rescue."

Spoiler:
the duality of the machine, i.e. feeding Root, while also feeding Finch, John & Shaw, and the hunt for the machine, appear to be the longer arcs of the season, even if they hadn't shown the same feeding to John as Root in recent eps.

I have mixed feelings about where the overall story line is going, but I'm still enjoying the show. I kind of feel like they're trying to cram too much into an episode sometimes though.

That's kinda how I felt with the Root storyline the last two weeks, but I think it was leading to her return to tangling with the guys, so I was little forgiving.
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby the wicked child on Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:23 pm

blackjack68 wrote:
the wicked child wrote:
relantel wrote:

Spoiler:

That's kinda how I felt with the Root storyline the last two weeks, but I think it was leading to her return to tangling with the guys, so I was little forgiving.

Spoiler:
It's not just root though... now there's a 3rd member of the team, and while I do enjoy their interactions, it can get a bit busy at times. I'm not sure about that going on every week... plus Root, plus HR, plus whatever govt. agency is after the Machine, plus the new "shadow organization" they added in the second episode... Elias is on the loose again... I feel like the episodes that deviate from the general formula tend to be the weakest.

The best episodes are the ones where they keep you guessing as to whether the target is good or bad... which the last episode did a decent enough job with at least. I just have concerns. The first season was brilliant, it's been still good since, but not to that same level, IMO... just worried that they will go too far with the other story lines.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby obhave on Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:18 pm

Downton Abbey Ep 3:

Spoiler:
goddam the end of that episode was very hard to watch. I am never really happy when rape scenes are included in shows but at least itv gave a trigger warning before the show was aired.
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby canaan on Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:00 am

I wish boardwalk empire had 6 hour long episodes. the era is just awesome.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:05 pm

obhave wrote:Downton Abbey Ep 3:

Spoiler:
goddam the end of that episode was very hard to watch. I am never really happy when rape scenes are included in shows but at least itv gave a trigger warning before the show was aired.

obhave, how are you watching it? Are you here or in the UK?

I think the 4 month delay here is absurd.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby obhave on Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:41 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:

Spoiler:

If you dont mind watching it as a lower quality stream I can PM you the site.
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:15 pm

obhave wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:

Spoiler:

If you dont mind watching it as a lower quality stream I can PM you the site.

Sure, thanks!
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby newarenanow on Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:37 am

I've also been enjoying the Goldbergs. Which means it will be cancelled.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:14 am

Homeland: I'm not sure what's happening with Brody, didn't expect that on the latest episode. Back to season 1 quality, really enjoy the politics of this. how creepy was the doctor?
Last edited by eddysnake on Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Crankshaft on Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:19 am

Ok, so I watched Derek. Wasn't sure how I felt about it until the last episode. It's not your typical comedy but it's an otherwise brilliant show.

Any other netflix recommendations?
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby relantel on Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:29 am

HIMYM:

How many more episodes can they go with no sight of the mother?
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:33 am

I would assume all except the last one? I've only watched a few episodes from various seasons of the show, but I kind of always assumed it would just be the last thing that happened in the show. Actually I really didn't know that there was anything about actually finding out who a mother is until reading this thread.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:40 am

relantel wrote:HIMYM:

I'm guessing it will go to mid season (the lead up to Barney and Robins wedding) and the mid season show will be the wedding. Then the second half of the season (around the final 12 episodes) will be him finally meeting the mother and how they establish their relationship.

I don't think they had many other story lines in their mind as they thought last season was going to be the last. So they are stretching this out.

PS - I thought last night was the first episode this season that was actually somewhat decent.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby relantel on Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:27 am

newarenanow wrote:

I'm guessing it will go to mid season (the lead up to Barney and Robins wedding) and the mid season show will be the wedding. Then the second half of the season (around the final 12 episodes) will be him finally meeting the mother and how they establish their relationship.

I don't think they had many other story lines in their mind as they thought last season was going to be the last. So they are stretching this out.

PS - I thought last night was the first episode this season that was actually somewhat decent.

Last night seemed odd with Barney's mother being the actress that played the maid from the first season of American Horror Story. Not like it was a secret or anything but I hadn't made the connection previously.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:30 am

I enjoyed the first few episodes of HIMYM. I liked how she had a connection to Lilly prior to her meeting Ted. They abandoned that premise that last few episodes. I understand why with the whole Barney catching Ted dynamic and them working through that in one episode but last night just felt like filler for the season.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:51 am

Crankshaft wrote:I enjoyed the first few episodes of HIMYM. I liked how she had a connection to Lilly prior to her meeting Ted. They abandoned that premise that last few episodes. I understand why with the whole Barney catching Ted dynamic and them working through that in one episode but last night just felt like filler for the season.

Totally agree. Last night's episode seemed to serve very little purpose. Conversely, seeing Ted and the mother interact for the first time was a great little moment. It seems like the writers have taunted us by doing that so early in the season and then not doing so again.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:52 am

newarenanow wrote:

I read something about this online. I belive she is supposed to reappear in one of the next few episodes. Not sure if that is correct or how significant her appearance will be.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:16 pm

I liked the Mentalist... but the Red John story is just dragging on far too long. I know it is the "big arc" but at some point you need to move on. That point was last season...
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:11 pm

my weekly update on HIMYM: i wish it wasn't the last season so i could stop watching it right now. awful.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:24 pm

eddysnake wrote:Homeland: I'm not sure what's happening with Brody, didn't expect that on the latest episode. Back to season 1 quality, really enjoy the politics of this. how creepy was the doctor?

oh man huge creep
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR