TV Shows

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: TV Shows

Postby Gaucho on Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:59 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:
KennyTheKangaroo wrote:Done with season uno of the wire. Things that kenny the kangaroo is most looking forward to (in no particular order):

Spoiler:
a. Finding out if bubbles can stay clean and/or if the drug dealers learn that bubbles is a narc
b. Finding out Briggs or griggs or whatever her name is-whether or not her relationship will be able to handle it if/when she goes back to the police department
c. Its not a stretch to see bodie or brodie or whatever that guys name is going down in flames
d. Obviously omar whatever happens to omar is going to be interesting
e. Finally, and most importantly, it seems like stringer has shown a few cracks. Besides the whole community college thing, there were a few signals that he is tired of the game
f. this gentleman really does not care about d'angelo's character, but it will be interesting to see if he ends up snitching or going to jail or getting wacked

The six things you outlined make me want to watch the series again. Such a great show.

Yes, I watched the whole show again recently. I'm now watching Homicide, which is pretty good, too.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:24 pm

largegarlic wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:The Downton Abbey seasons 1,2 & 3 was on sale at amazon for $36 two weeks ago so I got it for my girlfriend. I had never seen it, ended up watching the entire 1st season yesterday. I have a tendency to just binge on shows, so I try not to get caught up on anything too often....but I thought it was great, looking forward to the next season starting up soon.

I liked season 1, and it was something my wife and I could watch together and both enjoy. However, I got fed up with it sometime in season 2 after too many ridiculous plot twists and soap-operatic stuff going on. I thought it went from being an interesting social/historical commentary with enough drama to grab and hold your attention to being a soap opera with enough social/historical commentary to let some people convince themselves it wasn't.

I'd say this is pretty spot on. I'm still watching, but quality has suffered and it sounds like next season could be even worse with all the cast members leaving the show.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Troy Loney on Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:31 pm

That's a bummer. I've gathered that Matthew just abruptly dies at the end of season 3, but I can definitely see the show going in that direction..especially if people are leaving...but there have to be better ways of writing a person out of a show than just, bam, a car wreck.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:36 pm

Troy Loney wrote:That's a bummer. I've gathered that Matthew just abruptly dies at the end of season 3, but I can definitely see the show going in that direction..especially if people are leaving...but there have to be better ways of writing a person out of a show than just, bam, a car wreck.

and there are still interesting character storylines going, but I really thought the interaction between the upstairs and downstairs has sort of been put to the side and that's what made the 1st season great.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shoeshine boy on Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:48 pm

Gaucho wrote:Homeland = awesome

truth!
Spoiler:
I was a little shocked that they actually showed the Brody hanging. brutal.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MWB on Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:48 pm

largegarlic wrote:Anybody else watch Justified? I just got caught up to the end of season 4 in anticipation of the new season starting in January. It's obviously a very different show, but it's done something to fill the hole left in my life since Breaking Bad ended. A morally compromised protagonist supposedly doing things for his family and to uphold the law, when it's really about his ego and anger, lots of fantastic dialogue and secondary characters, a mix of cleverness and violence used to solve problems...

Great show. Love Olaphant.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MWB on Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:50 pm

Gaucho wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:
KennyTheKangaroo wrote:Done with season uno of the wire. Things that kenny the kangaroo is most looking forward to (in no particular order):

Spoiler:
a. Finding out if bubbles can stay clean and/or if the drug dealers learn that bubbles is a narc
b. Finding out Briggs or griggs or whatever her name is-whether or not her relationship will be able to handle it if/when she goes back to the police department
c. Its not a stretch to see bodie or brodie or whatever that guys name is going down in flames
d. Obviously omar whatever happens to omar is going to be interesting
e. Finally, and most importantly, it seems like stringer has shown a few cracks. Besides the whole community college thing, there were a few signals that he is tired of the game
f. this gentleman really does not care about d'angelo's character, but it will be interesting to see if he ends up snitching or going to jail or getting wacked

The six things you outlined make me want to watch the series again. Such a great show.

Yes, I watched the whole show again recently. I'm now watching Homicide, which is pretty good, too.

I'm almost through the last season, second go around.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby the wicked child on Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:08 pm

Actually just finished re-watching the whole thing last weekend (that is to say, watched the last 3 or 4 episodes of S5; I did not watch the entire series in a weekend).
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby blackjack68 on Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:24 am

HIMYM Series Finale to air March 31st.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/12/19/cbs-h ... es-finale/
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FreeCandy44 on Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:37 am

blackjack68 wrote:HIMYM Series Finale to air March 31st.

Neat
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:24 am

blackjack68 wrote:HIMYM Series Finale to air March 31st.

CBS likes to have shows end in March. Numb3rs, CSI:NY, Medium among others.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:39 am

Good. I'm glad they are rapping it up earlier than later.

I still can't believe it's been on for 9 seasons already. Time flies.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:08 am

shoeshine boy wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Homeland = awesome

truth!
Spoiler:
I was a little shocked that they actually showed the Brody hanging. brutal.

Spoiler:
im glad they killed brody. provides closure and likely vindicates his family. there was no way he could ever return to the us as they would not want to compromise javadi. i think it was the best way to go. next season goes with carrie to istanbul? focuses on quinn?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:26 pm

happened upon "Railroad Alaska" on Discovery's Destination America on Saturday. Interesting mix of railroad drama - can they clear the snow/ice in time - and "offgridders" whose only means of ingress and egress is the weekly passenger train.

http://america.discovery.com/tv-shows/railroad-alaska
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:35 pm

Anyone watch Merlin? Its on netflix so I just started the first episode. Is this a waste of my time? Netflix rating is pretty high.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:55 pm

I watched the last 4 episodes of The League. OMG, hilarious enough to rewind and watch scenes again. This was a good season.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:57 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Anyone watch Merlin? Its on netflix so I just started the first episode. Is this a waste of my time? Netflix rating is pretty high.

I only watched a few episodes (we're talking abut the syfy show, right?) and it looked good. Reason I didn't fully get into it was because I had so many shows on my list, I didn't want to add another.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby blackjack68 on Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:35 pm

Kennedy Center Honors Billy Joel right now.

Just for EPP.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby canaan on Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:47 am

blackjack68 wrote:Kennedy Center Honors Billy Joel right now.

Just for EPP.

i recorded it. loves me some billy joel.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:44 pm

It's time for the annual NYE "Twilight Zone" marathon! Here's this year's viewing schedule:

http://www.channelguidemagblog.com/inde ... -schedule/
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:35 pm

Good ending on Treme, wrapped up nearly every storyline.

I'll miss those characters. I can't say that about many other shows.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby the wicked child on Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:49 pm

Just watched an episode of Sherlock on Netflix after hearing some co-workers rave about it. It was good, but with Watson played by Martin Freeman, I couldn't help but think of The Hobbit... especially near the end of the episode when he showed all of the same mannerisms as he does as Bilbo. :lol:
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:07 pm

I can tolerate a lot of crap reality TV, but the Bachelor/Bachelorette makes me incredibly angry. I love that the "success" rate so far of both of those shows is like 33% at best.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:29 pm

I've enjoyed the two new Sherlock episodes so far. Should be coming to a TV set in the U.S. in a few weeks.

Justified begins tonight. Dewey Crowe returns.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:41 pm

this gentleman is now through season 4, episode 4. way more plot angles in this season, but its shaping up nicely.

season three was damn explosive.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR