TV Shows

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: TV Shows

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:39 pm

Jonathan Banks is confirmed for Better Call Saul. This show is looking pretty good.

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news ... s-20140128

Spoiler:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:14 pm

Not sure if I like True Detective. It's really slow and that's not necessarily bad. The characters are VERY hard to like so I really don't feel anything for anyone. The story is an A+ though. I feel like maybe it would have been better as a 165min movie. I'll continue watching for sure though.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:24 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:Not sure if I like True Detective. It's really slow and that's not necessarily bad. The characters are VERY hard to like so I really don't feel anything for anyone. The story is an A+ though. I feel like maybe it would have been better as a 165min movie. I'll continue watching for sure though.

it's definitely slow and I think that works in it's favor for how beautiful it's shot and scored. I get a serious Twin Peaks meets Apocalypse Now vibe from the show.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:54 pm

I'll agree to that. The story, cinematography, and score make the show VERY watchable. As of the end of episode 3 I can see things heating up. It's running like a Richard Bachman book which I like. I just wish there was a character that I actually liked. That's not a selling point for me but it would be nice. I too see the Twin Peaks vibe. The way episode 3 ended jarred up some Bob-esque fear from me seeing
Spoiler:
the man in the gas mask

I'm also happy that this story will only take place over 1 season. I can see it getting old if it lasted more than that. I also really like the 'flashback' format the show uses. It's adding a nice effect to the story. The sense of impending doom is escalated.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:04 pm

it's at the point now where I have to finish watching just to see where it goes even if I hated it. I'm still thinking it's going somewhere pretty crazy with Rust being a synaesthesiac (which is interesting in its own) and the dead girl diary referencing the yellow king (which goes all the way down to lovecraftian things). There is a lot more happening than what we see and I'm finding all that to be incredibly interesting.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Spangler on Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:23 pm

eddysnake wrote:latest True Detective was so good...

Spoiler:
I probably wouldn't have caught it, but over the weekend I was flipping through channels and Kingpin was on and Woody says "you don't mow another mans lawn" after punching Ishmael in the bar. Said it to mcconaughey in the show, thought that was pretty funny, can't be a coincidence.

Aside from funny, the ending was pretty creepy. I love how they showed Reggie from a far with the gas mask and machete as he's walking like bigfoot all over the great dreams/monster speech Rust is saying, thought I was going to have nightmares.

Finally, this could be nothing, but towards the end there was a scene where they were showing different pictures of the girls bodies and then they cut to the guys dancing with their gals, was one of those pictures Maggie or the girl Rust was dancing with?

When he was talking about the lawn mowing, I said out loud, "You don't mow another man's lawn!"
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:55 pm

In regards to the Better Call Saul spin-off, this is great news.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/01/jonatha ... rmantraut/
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby the wicked child on Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:14 pm

Nice.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby largegarlic on Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:45 pm

I kind of like that True Detective has been such a slow build, so much so that I'm almost not looking forward to the implied greater action. I just love the banter between Harrelson and McConaughey and McConaughey's interview segments.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby the wicked child on Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:01 pm

largegarlic wrote:I kind of like that True Detective has been such a slow build, so much so that I'm almost not looking forward to the implied greater action. I just love the banter between Harrelson and McConaughey and McConaughey's interview segments.

This.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:15 pm

I like True Detective because it's so slow, tbh.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:20 pm

Disagree that S3Ep2 of Sherlock is better than the first. It's still good mind you. I've felt roughly the same about every episode though.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:21 pm

HIMYM was good this week.
Crankshaft
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:32 pm

Gaucho wrote:I like True Detective because it's so slow, tbh.

Very much agree.

How many episodes is this?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:36 pm

It looks like there will be 8 episodes in Season 1, if wikipedia is to be believed. There have been 3 so far. 4 isn't until the 9th.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:41 pm

Stupid Super Bowl
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hockeynut! on Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:23 am

eddysnake wrote:latest True Detective was so good...

Spoiler:
Finally, this could be nothing, but towards the end there was a scene where they were showing different pictures of the girls bodies and then they cut to the guys dancing with their gals, was one of those pictures Maggie or the girl Rust was dancing with?

Spoiler:
I thought the same thing. Maggie/Maggie's friend look so similar and both looked like the dead girl. Not sure if it was intentional or not.

Add me to those who like the show because it's slow. Such a long, slow burn. I can see how some might find it boring but I'm so into the atmosphere and characters.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:41 am

One thing I hate about TV police procedurals is that they inevitably run too long and the lead detective has some sort of nemesis that hunts the detective's family down and/or has a really absurd vendetta. All the Law and Orders, CSIs, NCISs have done this...so lame. Having only one season with these characters, True Detective won't run into these scenarios...I think.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby relantel on Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:48 am

Crankshaft wrote:HIMYM was good this week.

I have to agree. It was as if it had flow & purpose. Well considering its anglem it did. Just weird having an episode where the main cast really only served in cameos.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: PM me your email addy for invite to LGP Extra Attacker league

Postby relantel on Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:49 am

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:One thing I hate about TV police procedurals is that they inevitably run too long and the lead detective has some sort of nemesis that hunts the detective's family down and/or has a really absurd vendetta. All the Law and Orders, CSIs, NCISs have done this...so lame. Having only one season with these characters, True Detective won't run into these scenarios...I think.

I think this was why Broadchurch was refreshing - defined arc length instead of an open ended one, with no chance to get stale.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:52 am

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:One thing I hate about TV police procedurals is that they inevitably run too long and the lead detective has some sort of nemesis that hunts the detective's family down and/or has a really absurd vendetta. All the Law and Orders, CSIs, NCISs have done this...so lame. Having only one season with these characters, True Detective won't run into these scenarios...I think.

This is the 15th year of SVU. For some reason I can say I've seen every episode of the show. But this is the first year they've tried doing something similar to that. Thats probably because for most the shows life the episodes are about the crimes and the victims and less about the detectives.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:55 pm

True Detective

Spoiler:
Anyone seen the owl in the church in Episode 2? I thought I was seeing things, but it's definitely there. And that's it - it's just sitting there. So creepy and yet so cool. Nice touch.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:08 am

pittsoccer33 wrote:

This is the 15th year of SVU. For some reason I can say I've seen every episode of the show. But this is the first year they've tried doing something similar to that. Thats probably because for most the shows life the episodes are about the crimes and the victims and less about the detectives.

Yeah, I don't watch much SVU, but I remember a long CSI:NY storyline where someone hunted/stalked Gary Sinise. It was just annoying.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby blackjack68 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:26 am

Black Sails did not grab me with the first episode. I had high hopes. I'll give it another episode or two.
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby relantel on Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:08 am

Coven: did not see that coming.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR