Surgery tomorrow...

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Surgery tomorrow...

Postby Kraftster on Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:34 am

Burke did my brother's ACL a few years ago. I think a week or so off from work might be doable depending on whether they need to do anything else at the same time. From seeing my brother, I can't imagine someone going in on Thurs and back to work on Monday, that seems unbelievable. Anyway, like Malk said, rehabbing is the toughest part. Recovery wishes your way, Jesse.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:34 am

beerman wrote:Good Luck Jesse

Didn't tear my acl but I f'd my knee up a few years ago and had to have surgery. Wasn't allowed to put weight on my right leg for 4 weeks after the surgery and was on crutches for 6 weeks. The crutches suck big time but the time went fairly fast.

SOFF :P I was on crutches for 3 months lol 8-)
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:35 am

shmenguin wrote:my friend zack had it done once. he was heading out of the locker room before a basketball game in highschool, ran into his principal, slipped on the floor, and busted his knee. he was actually pretty scared about dying when he was under. crazy stuff. he even tried to break out of the hospital after he had some crazy dream. ultimately, it worked out. his friend's mom was the surgeon, which helped. and he even guilted his principal into doing his math homework while he was in the hospital. funny stuff. anyways, he never really talked about the rehab, and i can't even remember him being on crutches...so i guess it couldn't have been that bad.

Your friend "Zack" in high school????

A.C.??
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tonysoprano on Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:35 am

Eh - month and a half tops - that ligament isn't going to get stronger keeping the weight off of it.
tonysoprano
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jesse on Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:51 am

tonysoprano wrote:What are they doing to you Jesse? Are they giving you a cadaver ligament?

They're grafting my patella tendon. They said cadaver ligaments don't last as long and aren't as reliable.

They're going to bore into the bone and screw the new ligament into place.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jesse on Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:53 am

shmenguin wrote:my friend zack had it done once. he was heading out of the locker room before a basketball game in highschool, ran into his principal, slipped on the floor, and busted his knee. he was actually pretty scared about dying when he was under. crazy stuff. he even tried to break out of the hospital after he had some crazy dream. ultimately, it worked out. his friend's mom was the surgeon, which helped. and he even guilted his principal into doing his math homework while he was in the hospital. funny stuff. anyways, he never really talked about the rehab, and i can't even remember him being on crutches...so i guess it couldn't have been that bad.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about going under. I've been under once and but I was very little so I really barely remember it.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby conforto45 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:53 am

did you hurt it at the dek? a teammate of mine had the same thing happen to him there. he was out for about 7 months or so.. all depends on how well you can rehab it
conforto45
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:54 am

Jesse wrote:

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about going under. I've been under once and but I was very little so I really barely remember it.

I was scared too, I woke up and had a seizure from the pain, but that was only because they basically broke my ankle 4-5 times in surgery. That being said, I don't remember the 2 days after it in the hospital.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jesse on Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:57 am

conforto45 wrote:did you hurt it at the dek? a teammate of mine had the same thing happen to him there. he was out for about 7 months or so.. all depends on how well you can rehab it

Yeah I did actually. I was on the point and the pass was behind me. I stepped back to try and corrall it but I stepped on the instep of my left foot. With the way I was turning, I twisted my knee awkwardly and experienced what felt like someone snapping their fingers in my knee. When I got up to walk, there was 0 stability.

First shift of the game about 25 seconds in.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:00 pm

Good luck.

Never had my knee done, but I had my appendix out a few years ago.

Sucks at first, but you'll be fine.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BadHands71 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:00 pm

Check your PM's.

I destroyed mine a few years ago, so been there done it. You have my thoughts and prayers. And I was freaked out about going under too. Let us know how it goes.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby conforto45 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:03 pm

Jesse wrote:
conforto45 wrote:did you hurt it at the dek? a teammate of mine had the same thing happen to him there. he was out for about 7 months or so.. all depends on how well you can rehab it

Yeah I did actually. I was on the point and the pass was behind me. I stepped back to try and corrall it but I stepped on the instep of my left foot. With the way I was turning, I twisted my knee awkwardly and experienced what felt like someone snapping their fingers in my knee. When I got up to walk, there was 0 stability.

his was real flukey too.. nothing real major, just kinda went to pivot and his leg stuck... said it wasnt a real bad pop, but knew something was wrong right away...

sucks youre out of commission to play.. im gonna be in town next week and trying to play with my old team.. was hoping theyre in your league
conforto45
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Froggy on Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:11 pm

shmenguin gets +50 internets...
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:05 pm

Good luck, Jesse.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:06 pm

Good luck Jesse.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby steelhammer on Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:06 pm

Jesse wrote:

Ouch. Very sorry to hear. Good luck on a speedy recovery.

This is actually why I kind of hate playing dek and roller hockey. The chances for injury seem a lot higher since your body has to absorb all of the impact of a playing surface with a higher coefficient of friction. At least in ice you can just slide along the ice for the most part. Not that that hasn't prevented me from 3 groin strains in 2 years :roll:
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pfim on Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:09 pm

Had it done about 6 years ago. The first few days suck, but after that it's not as bad as you think. I took an entire week off after the surgery because I could, but I probably could have gotten away with taking just a few days off. As long as you're in a desk job, you'll be fine...if you can't keep your leg elevated a bit, you'll be in quite a bit of pain.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ShipHockey7 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:10 pm

Jesse I had the same surgery on my left knee in '07, its a pretty long recovery process and the first week or two really suck, but after that you'll be on crutches and what not.

Also I played hockey after 5-6 months, which got me in a lot of trouble with the doctor, but I still did it, wouldn't advise it though
ShipHockey7
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Admin on Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:20 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:Jesse out 4-6 weeks with an undisclosed upper body injury.

Do it right, PFIDC...

Good luck, Jesse!
Admin
Site Admin

Postby freq019 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:29 pm

good luck and keep us posted
freq019
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby icb6 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:30 pm

JarkkoVision wrote:Good luck dude.

I had ingrown toenail surgery when I was 12. I was awake for it. It wasn't cool. You could see the tools poking around by my big toe knuckle, from under the skin!

You should be fine.

Oh boo hoo. I had brain surgery while I was awake, and it was awesome.

Anyway, good luck Jesse.
icb6
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby tonysoprano on Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:30 pm

Jesse wrote:
tonysoprano wrote:What are they doing to you Jesse? Are they giving you a cadaver ligament?

They're grafting my patella tendon. They said cadaver ligaments don't last as long and aren't as reliable.

That's what my brother got done as well.
tonysoprano
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:31 pm

Froggy wrote:

shmenguin gets +50 internets...

oh wait...found a picture from right before the surgery...totally forgot i had this

Spoiler:
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:33 pm

haha.....................what is really funny is the fact that when I saw Zack, I actually made a Saved by the Bell post, but I forgot that this story is straight from Saved by the Bell. That is awesome
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby The Garbageman on Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:34 pm

Jesse wrote:

I had the same exact procedure done about 9 years ago. Tore mine playing hockey at Dekstar. I was off work for 3 weeks. In hindsight I'm not sure if I really needed all that time off, but I had already booked it off so I took it. My doctor said the recovery for the ACL reconstruction using the patella tendon has a bit of a longer recovery because you are recovering from both the reconstruction and the graft. I starting playing about 9 months after surgery. It'll be stiff, but once you break through the scar tissue it'll be as strong as before. Good luck.
The Garbageman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to NHR