Sleep Apnea

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Sleep Apnea

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:01 pm

Sooo I am finally going to the doctor's on Wednesday to get this sleep apnea deal taken care of once and for all. I have been a horrible snorer since I was a teenager...now, my wife says I stop breathing routinely and wake myself up. It's pretty bad when I am sober, so you can imagine how bad it is if I have a few drinks. Has anyone ever had a procedure done/went to the doctor for this problem?? Any input would be provided....I know that operations are the usual course, but any kind of surgery on my face is always a little nervewracking.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Sleep Apnea

Postby JarkkoVision on Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:07 pm

Just get it fixed!

My friend has sleep apnea. He's hooked up to a machine when he sleeps. Reminds me of Darth Vader. Will you be seduced by the dark side?
JarkkoVision
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:08 pm

I get sleep paralysis thats not fun.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: "Whatcha you be smokin' cuz? you guys aren't nothing but hoopty"

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:08 pm

JarkkoVision wrote:Just get it fixed!

My friend has sleep apnea. He's hooked up to a machine when he sleeps. Reminds me of Darth Vader. Will you be seduced by the dark side?

haha yeah, I have heard of the machines too...I really don't want to have to sleep on a freaking machine for the rest of my life. Would rather they just open up my adenoids, or whatever it is they do.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ShipHockey7 on Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:11 pm

I had sleep apnea, and I got the surgery. It sucked.

I had a lot done though I had both of my tonsils removed, my adenoids taken out, my uvula removed and they shaved back my pallette, I was in some pretty rough pain in the week or two after it.

That being said, you're going to feel like a whole nother person after you're healed up. I used to never be able to wake up before like 10-11AM but now its no problem.

They gave me the option of the machine but it constently blows air up your nose and it got me sick when I tried it in a sleep study.

Good luck with the surgery and let us know how it goes!
ShipHockey7
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:11 pm

SolidSnake wrote:I get sleep paralysis thats not fun.

I have read about this...the thought of it terrifies me. I have had something similar to that before, but I can "break out" of it pretty quickly.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:12 pm

Ship, thanks a lot for the info...I appreciate it. Yea, I get a fair amount of sleep but it never feels like I am getting enough.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JarkkoVision on Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:13 pm

I wonder if I have sleep apnea. I never feel like I get enough sleep. I snore. My ex told me that she thought I stopped breathing on a couple occasions and it scared her.
JarkkoVision
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby AlexPKeaton on Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:13 pm

How do you know if you have sleep apnea?
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:14 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:How do you know if you have sleep apnea?

Dunno...think u have to get a sleep test. I am pretty sure I do...my wife said last night I stopped breathing for a good 10 seconds then woke up coughing, then went back to bed. She just happened to be awake when it happened. The problem is, you can't really remember how many times you wake up and fall back asleep....for all I know, it could be dozens of times.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:17 pm

i chomp my teeth big time. according to the fiance, it's like i slam my jaws together as hard as i can. and according to the dentist, i have very little enamel left on my teeth. guess i had been doing it for years before i knew about it. i'd probably go through a surgery if it would stop it, but sadly this is more of a mental problem.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:19 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:How do you know if you have sleep apnea?

Dunno...think u have to get a sleep test. I am pretty sure I do...my wife said last night I stopped breathing for a good 10 seconds then woke up coughing, then went back to bed. She just happened to be awake when it happened. The problem is, you can't really remember how many times you wake up and fall back asleep....for all I know, it could be dozens of times.

Oh I see. I have started to develop a bad snoring habit and was curious if I had an issue. But nothing can wake me up once I'm asleep and I fall asleep instantly.
Last edited by AlexPKeaton on Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SolidSnake on Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:19 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:

I have read about this...the thought of it terrifies me. I have had something similar to that before, but I can "break out" of it pretty quickly.

Yea whats weird too is they said that people that think they are abucted by aliens are experiencing sleep paralysis.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:20 pm

My brother and father both sleep with the apnea machine. They both felt like new human beings after getting the machine(s).

My doctor and I were talking about family history and apnea, and he said that most obese people have at least some sleep apnea -- so losing weight might help you out. I don't have it, but then again my wife can sleep through a hurricane (true story!).
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:25 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:Oh I see. I have started to develop a bad snoring habit and was curious if I had an issue. But nothing can wake me up once I'm asleep and I fall asleep instantly.

From night till morning, I don't remember waking up once (except the very rare going to the bathroom during the early morning hours). You could be waking up 30 times over the course of the night, but it is for such short a time that you don't remember. However, it still interrupts your normal sleep cycles and keeps you out of REM sleep, which is crucial.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ShipHockey7 on Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:45 pm

Before I got my surgery I would be sleeping and I wouldn't breathe for anywhere from 10-35 seconds straight, definitely got the girlfriend quite worried a few times
ShipHockey7
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:57 pm

I've had that a couple times. It's crazy.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby JarkkoVision on Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:16 pm

I usually go to sleep between 11 and 12 and I will wake up around 3 and 4 almost every night. It's weird. I don't know what to think about it. :pop:
JarkkoVision
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:21 pm

im almost sure i have it. even when i am in a light sleep (i.e. Econ class :pop: ) i start to snore loudly.

My uncle went and had the test done and said he had to sleep on a rock hard bed that was smaller than a twin mattress, and he had to go to sleep at like 7 PM. i think the test would suck just as bad as the surgery.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:22 pm

mac5155 wrote:im almost sure i have it. even when i am in a light sleep (i.e. Econ class :pop: ) i start to snore loudly.

My uncle went and had the test done and said he had to sleep on a rock hard bed that was smaller than a twin mattress, and he had to go to sleep at like 7 PM. i think the test would suck just as bad as the surgery.

Yeah, I really don't want to have to sleep in a freaking hospital overnight, but I guess I will have to
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:28 pm

when I shattered my nose they opened up something to help with sleep and breathing, it seems to have worked, although I lost a lot of my sense of smell and the recovery was not fun, but that was probably more from the shattered nose than anything...
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:30 pm

My doc wanted me to do the sleep test a few years back and I never went for it. I do not ever go to bed before 1-2 am, so having to try to sleep at 8 or 9 pm just wouldn't work -- ever. Pretty positive I got the apnea though. My kids tell me they can hear me snore 2-3 rooms away. My wife gets real cranky about it sometimes.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:31 pm

Physical_Graffiti wrote:

Yea you can see whats going on but you can't move it's scary at first. You're helpless.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ShipHockey7 on Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:31 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:he said that most obese people have at least some sleep apnea -- so losing weight might help you out.

while that is true, you dont necessarily have to be overweight to have sleep apnea, for example I'm 5'9, 140 lbs and I had one of the worst cases my doctor had ever seen of sleep apnea
ShipHockey7
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:32 pm

SolidSnake wrote:
Physical_Graffiti wrote:

Yea you can see whats going on but you can't move it's scary at first. You're helpless.

kinda like a lucid dream?
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to NHR