Deadliest Catch

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Deadliest Catch

Postby DudeMan2766 on Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:09 pm

I watched most of the replay of the premiere. So it was I think 11-1am and I was drifting in and out. I can't believe Keith went to congress lol. Most of these guys act like such hard asses but have no problem being actors/ reality tv stars. The pranks were pretty awesome tho. I would work for the Hilstrands any day. When they were all stuck on shore so went to the bar I got reminded as why I really hate going to bars these days. So many people acting like they were. And they're all grown men lol. What a bunch of idiots.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:45 pm

Admin wrote:LOL at Keith thinking he was going to end the government shutdown. Only halfway through the first episode. Cornelia Marie only doing opies?

Isn't the fleet and season smaller for red?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:21 pm

Season has been ok so far, but nothing overly exciting. Wild Bill's greenhorn was kind of sad, but not as bad as Junior's from last season overall.

Elliot is a mess. "I only smoked Heroin twice in the last two months" and "I spent 100 thousand dollars on cocaine"... yikes. Don't care for the guy overall, but hopefully rehab helps/helped him get his act together.

Speaking of rehab, the Cornelia Marie will be back for Opies. Let's hope it isn't the **** show that took place the last time they were on the show.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:52 am

the wicked child wrote:Season has been ok so far, but nothing overly exciting. Wild Bill's greenhorn was kind of sad, but not as bad as Junior's from last season overall.

Elliot is a mess. "I only smoked Heroin twice in the last two months" and "I spent 100 thousand dollars on cocaine"... yikes. Don't care for the guy overall, but hopefully rehab helps/helped him get his act together.

Speaking of rehab, the Cornelia Marie will be back for Opies. Let's hope it isn't the **** show that took place the last time they were on the show.

I found the editing of Elliot's breakdown so to speak to make it seem a little forced. I know people struggle to go to rehab and whatnot...but it felt like they told him to pull over and call his dad and say he didn't want to go and then to actually go. I wonder how much was cut out to fit the story. His dad seemed concerned, but not really concerned, for example. I wonder what happened to his quota if he didn't finish the season? I would have expected him to finish the season and then go to rehab or getting a fill in captain or something.

I feel for the guy and it does help to explain how it seemed he was providing for his kids (or said he did) yet still owed 50,000. Well, if 100k goes up your nose...that should explain that. He is the very definition of love/hate with Val...should be interesting to see how that all plays out.

Looking forward to seeing the CM. If I recall, they told us that the younger brother isn't around right now. I hope we get some kind of update. The season where Phil died was very well done and makes you feel for his kids a bit.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BuckintheLou on Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:01 pm

Some really good guys on the show that we've got to know over the years.
I have a problem with them giving in to Hollywood's embelishment tactics.
Geesh. Worse than the Broons.
BuckintheLou
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby the wicked child on Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:04 pm

There's definitely been some stuff played up for the show in recent seasons. There probably was all along, but they have to go bigger and badder all the time so it becomes more obvious.

One of the most egregious for me was the swapping of the Jakes a few seasons ago. They drill into us how deadly the sea is, but we're going to send our son/nephew into the sea willingly?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:32 pm

So they seriously decided to pull the old don't show what's in the pot trick at the end of the show? Gee, I can't live with myself if I don't tune in next Tuesday at 9 to see what was in it! :face:
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby nocera on Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:16 pm

Is the new thing to hate on the show? It's still the best and most "real" reality show on television. They're playing up the drama a bit more in the past few years, using a more cinematic method of storytelling. But fact is, the show is still one of the few true reality shows.

I'm really liking the storyline of Josh training to be captain and take over the CM.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:50 pm

The show is indeed still good. However, there are some danger signs with some of the drama that is on the rise. It angers me because they already ruined Sons of Guns with that crap and I don't want to see them do it to this one.

I am pulling for Josh for sure. Seems like he has grown up a lot since that failed Blue King Crab season that was really embarrassing for everyone involved.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:45 pm

Love seeing the CM again. I also really enjoy when Edgar (or anyone else really) fixes some random part using some Macgyver shenaningans
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby the wicked child on Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:40 pm

So this week's episode was pretty good. However, a couple things really stood out.

Andy is kind of a dick. If anyone else watched the Time Bandit special they did last season about the history of the boat and the upgrades they were doing, he is essentially being the same jagoff to Scott that his father was to him.

Also, Elliott's gf is a perfect fit for him. Just as he has shown little regard for crew in the past (though he has been better lately), her throwing "just a little milk" into something that someone who is Lactose intolerant is going to eat... on a ship... just before going crab fishing... incredibly selfish and shortsighted.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:16 pm

the wicked child wrote:So this week's episode was pretty good. However, a couple things really stood out.

Andy is kind of a dick. If anyone else watched the Time Bandit special they did last season about the history of the boat and the upgrades they were doing, he is essentially being the same jagoff to Scott that his father was to him.

Also, Elliott's gf is a perfect fit for him. Just as he has shown little regard for crew in the past (though he has been better lately), her throwing "just a little milk" into something that someone who is Lactose intolerant is going to eat... on a ship... just before going crab fishing... incredibly selfish and shortsighted.

I was going to revive this thread just for that episode. After all the baby mama drama that guy went through which almost cost him his boat, and his life due to the drugs and drinking, he really thinks having a girlfriend on the boat is a good idea for him and his crew?? He's such a creep too. The way he was licking his lips when she was stepping off the plane and makes a sexual comment after everything she says. She's actually attractive too. WTH
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby BuckintheLou on Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:36 pm

Not much interest in the show for the past few years. I do think that the Deadliest Catch has the better narrator (Mike Rowe) than the other reality shows though.
The d-bag that does the narration on Swamp People should listen to himself. Once.
BuckintheLou
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby the wicked child on Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:35 am

I was kinda skeptical as to whether Mandy was there for a sideshow, but I read an interview with her and Sig the other day and it seems like she legitimately just wants to be a fisher(wo)man and has no interest in the tv end of things. Sig talked about how they didn't really think that part of it through... also that Discovery kinda went nuts when they realized what was brewing.

When this show doesn't try to stage or over-dramatize things it is still quite good after all this time. Let's hope they finish strong.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:48 am

So anything exciting in the last two episodes? I missed them both and have lost the desire to catch up on 2 hours of programming.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby the wicked child on Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:32 pm

Previous episode was the "Superbowl" episode with a bunch of the boats trying to get into town for the game, or listening to it over the speakers. A major blowup by Andy on Scott.

Last episode brought about the return of Scott, and otherwise was largely about Mandy's last run on the Northwestern.

They were both pretty good episodes, IMO, but with this show nothing is really "can't miss" I suppose.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:49 pm

I'm pulling for Josh, but he kinda showed that he still has some growing up to do in tonight's episode.

Does he truly WANT to be captain? I'm not sure. He seemed a hell of a lot more comfortable to me when he was "just one of the guys" out there on deck sorting crab. The fact that he seemingly joined in ignoring the orders to put the cod in along with everyone else and then tried to make excuses was kind of weak.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:14 pm

So another season is in the books... was pretty enjoyable overall.

I'm hoping for the best for Josh in the future, but this season didn't do much to instill faith in me that he's ready to be the man. I know he's young and dealing with the shadow of his father and all, but his actions throughout this season screamed deckhand a lot more than captain to be sure.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mango Salsa on Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:24 am

Glad Elliott is getting his life together but I still cant stand him and his sideways hat.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DudeMan2766 on Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:41 pm

anyone know why Capt Wild Bill was at the Bucco's game last night? Was it just a paid public appearance?
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby skullman80 on Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:43 pm

He's in town I know for the parade in Irwin on Saturday because he is from the area and they are celebrating 100 years or something.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to NHR