Current book being read/just finished

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current book being read/just finished

Postby columbia on Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:16 am

Grandma Simpson: I saw all your awards, Lisa. They’re mighty impressive.

Lisa: Aw, I just keep them out to bug Bart.

Grandma Simpson: Don’t be bashful. When I was your age, kids made fun of me because I read at the 9th grade level.

Lisa: Me too!

Homer: [walks on his hands] Hey, Mom! Look at me! Look at what I can do!

Grandma Simpson: I see you, Homer. That’s very nice. [to Lisa] Although I hardly consider “A Separate Peace” the ninth-grade level.

Lisa: Yeah, more like preschool.

Grandma Simpson: I hate John Knowles.

Lisa: Me too.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby nocera on Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:41 am

Troy Loney wrote:
nocera wrote:Just finishing up 1984. It was one of those books I should've read in high school but didn't because the English department in my high school wasn't so great.

Can I have some suggestions of more classics (that are good) that I should've read in high school?

Did you like 1984? Brave New World is also great.

Here would probably be my classics must reads:

Tom Jones by Henry Fielding
The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton
The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
Crime and Punisment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
Daniel Deronda by George Eliot
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
East of Eden by John Steinbeck
Franny and Zooey by Salinger (assuming you've read Catcher in the Rye)
Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Tess of the D'Ubervilles by Thomas Hardy

I loved 1984. Thanks for the list. And yes, I've read Catcher in the Rye. Right now, I have To Kill a Mockingbird ready to go. But I'll definitely be coming back here for the next one.

dodint wrote:I based these suggestions on premise that you liked 1984:

Animal Farm by Orwell - Obvious choice is obvious, but this short allegory should be mandatory anyway.
Fahrenheit 451 by Bradbury - In the context of 1984, this reads as more of one mans struggle to carry out Big Brothers policy than the grand lecture 1984 shoots for.
Brave New World by Huxley - Similar in spirit to 1984, but more more psychological than political.
Lord of the Flies by Golding - Wonderful.
Of Mice and Men by Steinbeck - Just good, and a relatively short read. I also have it on audiobook and it's only 4 discs.
A Separate Peace by Knowles - I loathed this book but my wife adores it. Your mileage may vary.
The Great Gatsby by Fitzgerald - Makes for great kindling, will keep you warm on a cold winter day if lit aflame. I wouldn't recommend looking between the covers for a single intelligent thought, though.

Awesome list. thanks. My school did have us read Lord of the Flies, so they did do one thing right.

Troy Loney wrote:I just started Lolita, I think I may pick that up next.

Lolita is one of my favorites of all time.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dodint on Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:49 am

To Kill A Mockingbird is a classic as well, you'll enjoy it. When you're done take in the Gregory Peck film.

Something about Harper Lee bugs me, though. I don't think Capote wrote TKaM like some suggest, but Lee either had a lot of help with TKaM in post or she purposely never wrote anything else just to spite us. ;) The amount of praise she's showered with is disproportionate to her actual contribution to literature, in my opinion.
dodint
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby count2infinity on Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:51 am

count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby Shyster on Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:55 pm

Looking at these lists depresses me. Not that there's anything wrong with them; all of these suggestions are excellent. But it reminds me that I don't have—and probably never in my life will have—enough time to read everything I want to read. :(
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:59 pm

Shyster wrote:Looking at these lists depresses me. Not that there's anything wrong with them; all of these suggestions are excellent. But it reminds me that I don't have—and probably never in my life will have—enough time to read everything I want to read. :(

its been a goal of this gentleman to start a book club for bros, or at least something to that tune. it would be a book club, mostly on classics like the ones listed above, geared towards 20 and 30 something bros. preferably the bro club would meet at a bar with expensive beer and aspertarme free drinks.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:00 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
Shyster wrote:Looking at these lists depresses me. Not that there's anything wrong with them; all of these suggestions are excellent. But it reminds me that I don't have—and probably never in my life will have—enough time to read everything I want to read. :(

its been a goal of this gentleman to start a book club for bros, or at least something to that tune. it would be a book club, mostly on classics like the ones listed above, geared towards 20 and 30 something bros. preferably the bro club would meet at a bar with expensive beer and aspertarme free drinks.

Really?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:06 pm

I would be up for that.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:08 pm

I mean, I would think that's a productive social behavior and also provide needed deadline motivation.

But I also think that you're broaching some hipster/snarky/intellectual territory.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:11 pm

Do you want that territory all to yourself or what?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hockeynut! on Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:14 pm

dodint wrote:To Kill A Mockingbird is a classic as well, you'll enjoy it. When you're done take in the Gregory Peck film.

Something about Harper Lee bugs me, though. I don't think Capote wrote TKaM like some suggest, but Lee either had a lot of help with TKaM in post or she purposely never wrote anything else just to spite us. ;) The amount of praise she's showered with is disproportionate to her actual contribution to literature, in my opinion.

I looked up her response to the question as to why she never wrote another novel and found this on wikipedia. "Two reasons: one, I wouldn't go through the pressure and publicity I went through with To Kill a Mockingbird for any amount of money. Second, I have said what I wanted to say and I will not say it again."
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:21 pm

Kraftster wrote:Do you want that territory all to yourself or what?

I guess I just figured that interest wouldn't correlate with people that weren't hipsters or social science grad students.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:32 pm

Troy Loney wrote:I mean, I would think that's a productive social behavior and also provide needed deadline motivation.

But I also think that you're broaching some hipster/snarky/intellectual territory.

yes thats an aspect that would have to be deal with. youd have to find the right kind of people to make it work, i.e. ones that wont take it too seriously. thats a fine balancing act, and it would have to be the right kind of books.

plus, in high school and college it really wasnt appropriate to call characters d-bags or turds or whatever. it would be nice to being able to call a spade a spade.

its come to a point that kenny the kangaroo has decided that what get this gentlemans gears rollling is analyzing things, whether its pens hockey or inept pitt football or books. its a lot of fun to break it down, especially when its with the right people.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:49 pm

well, this gentleman would be interested, i've been meaning to look around for something of that sort.

I took a coursera class last winter that had a couple of meetups in pittsburgh that i regret not going to
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:55 pm

I ran a monthly book club for about a year, when I worked for the Chicago Public Library. The titles generally came from on high, but it was better than you might expect. aka no Oprah titles.
As for the demographics, think this poster and 15 ladies, with average age of about 63.

Some of them cried, when I left, so I suppose I was good at it.

We did not drink exotic porters and the like, but that would have improved things. It was interesting, but far from what KtK is describing. :pop:

Lived about 100 feet from this joint and did most of my drinking and music watching there:
http://emptybottle.com/
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:54 pm

I read a lot, but don't really enjoy talking about books.

/csb

Been reding a lot of Maigret novels lately, also Ross MacDonald, John Banville, Raymond Carver, the latest Paul Auster memoir.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:25 pm

I just thought about my post and realized how strange that must sound.
Well, it was. :lol:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:28 am

I saw today that Werner Herzog was filming an adaptation of Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre. I'm not really sure how to describe the book besides it's a dark comedy about a school shooting and it's certainly not for everyone. It's a quick read and won a lot of awards, I recommend giving it a chance. I'm not sure if it's genius or garbage, but I haven't read anything like it before and am really exciting to see what Herzog does with it.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11711.Vernon_God_Little
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby nocera on Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:33 am

Hockeynut! wrote:
dodint wrote:To Kill A Mockingbird is a classic as well, you'll enjoy it. When you're done take in the Gregory Peck film.

I looked up her response to the question as to why she never wrote another novel and found this on wikipedia. "Two reasons: one, I wouldn't go through the pressure and publicity I went through with To Kill a Mockingbird for any amount of money. Second, I have said what I wanted to say and I will not say it again."

I completely understand that. Imagine having created something so dearly loved and studied by such a huge amount of people. Now, imagine the pressure of having to follow that up. It's the reason Richard Kelly never should have written/directed anything after Donnie Darko.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:39 am

I read that book and liked it, but don't remember much of the story.

edit: Vernon God Little, that is.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:02 am

Gaucho wrote:I read a lot, but don't really enjoy talking about books.

/csb

Been reding a lot of Maigret novels lately, also Ross MacDonald, John Banville, Raymond Carver, the latest Paul Auster memoir.

I'm not sure why, but for some reason I had the impression that you were a translator. Is one of those tasks translating literature? That would be very conducive to being as well read as you are.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:17 am

Troy Loney wrote:
Gaucho wrote:I read a lot, but don't really enjoy talking about books.

/csb

I'm not sure why, but for some reason I had the impression that you were a translator. Is one of those tasks translating literature? That would be very conducive to being as well read as you are.

Yes, I am. I once mentioned it in an apparently self-congratulatory way. :?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:26 am

Can't say that's not something I wish I could have gotten into.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:46 pm

I've been reading a bunch of free books ive been getting off the ibooks app that are in public domain. A bunch of Sherlock holmes short stories and all 4 novels, Count of Monte Cristo just got finished, I read Three Musketeers. I'm about to start Captain Blood.

Between Assassin's Creed and Black Sails, I see myself going on a Pirate kick. :scared:

This book better be better than the old school movie or I'm going to kick...my phone I guess.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dodint on Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:48 am

Pirate Latitudes by Crichton is decent if you want something from a more contemporary author.
dodint
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR