Current book being read/just finished

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current book being read/just finished

Postby llipgh2 on Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:37 pm

Bought this when I was in Toronto: Hops and Glory - One Man's Search for the Beer That Built the British Empire.

The author attempts to recreate the first journey of India Pale Ale from England to India. Just started it, but it's already a good read.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby LeopardLetang on Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:19 pm

About halfway through Autobiography of a Yogi. It's extremely readable but i guess you'd have to be at least somewhat open to the idea of the superconsciousness and the ability of masters to tap into different energies few are aware of.

also just bought skeletons of the zahara and also bought explorers of the nile. first couple of non-autobiographical books for me in a while.
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby eddysnake on Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:46 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:Just picked up Strain, the first book in a vampire trilogy authored by Guillermo del Toro. It's gotten really good reviews, pretty pumped to start it.

FX just picked this up for a series. GDT to write and direct (pilot). I only made it through the 1st book, which was pretty good, dragged a little in the middle.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/09/the-strain-drama-from-guillermo-del-toro-and-carlton-cuse-gets-pilot-order-at-fx/#more-340020
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:51 am

read The Most Dangerous Game by Richard Connell (short story, 1924) Haven't read this since high school, thought I would give it another go. Wow what an awesome story and great ending, brought back all kinds of great memories. Easy 30 minute read, definitely check it out if you never have read it. I can't wait to see the movie, apparently this was indirectly responsible for King Kong being made and most of the sets from King Kong were used in the movei.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:54 am

Frank Herbert's Dune...amazing
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:04 am

I'm on book 2 of Hyperion by Dan Simmons. My God for such a huge sci-fi fan as myself, I can't believe it took me this long to discover this series. This is God Tier sci-fi. Asimov level. Book 1 starts out a little confusing, so you have to stick with it. Book 1 is basically the Canterbury Tales told in sci-fi. By the time you get to the second story it is unbelievable.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:25 am

AlexPKeaton wrote:I'm on book 2 of Hyperion by Dan Simmons. My God for such a huge sci-fi fan as myself, I can't believe it took me this long to discover this series. This is God Tier sci-fi. Asimov level. Book 1 starts out a little confusing, so you have to stick with it. Book 1 is basically the Canterbury Tales told in sci-fi. By the time you get to the second story it is unbelievable.

wow, just looked this up, that looks pretty intense. Think I might have to pick it up, next book is narrowed down to this and Clive Barkers Cabal
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:18 pm

Anyone read Mark Twain's autobiography yet? It's probably fantastic. How could it not be?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shyster on Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:17 pm

I stayed up way too late last night and read The Keep by F. Paul Wilson cover-to-cover (I read really fast). Set during early WWII, the plot centers around a mysterious abandoned castle perched high in the Carpathian Mountains of Romania that has been occupied by German soldiers and SS Einsatzkommandos as a guard post. They aren’t there long before “something” starts gruesomely killing the soldiers. It was a darn good read, which is why I stayed up to 4:00 a.m. finishing it. I’ll have to look into more of Mr. Wilson’s works.

I bought the book because I remember seeing the movie adaptation years ago. While the 1983 film was a flop at the box office, it always stuck in my mind due to its weird and creepy soundtrack, which was done by New Age group Tangerine Dream. The book was better than the movie, which I recall was not a model of comprehensibility.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby eddysnake on Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:01 am

Shyster wrote:I stayed up way too late last night and read The Keep by F. Paul Wilson cover-to-cover (I read really fast). Set during early WWII, the plot centers around a mysterious abandoned castle perched high in the Carpathian Mountains of Romania that has been occupied by German soldiers and SS Einsatzkommandos as a guard post. They aren’t there long before “something” starts gruesomely killing the soldiers. It was a darn good read, which is why I stayed up to 4:00 a.m. finishing it. I’ll have to look into more of Mr. Wilson’s works.

I bought the book because I remember seeing the movie adaptation years ago. While the 1983 film was a flop at the box office, it always stuck in my mind due to its weird and creepy soundtrack, which was done by New Age group Tangerine Dream. The book was better than the movie, which I recall was not a model of comprehensibility.

I just came across this on netflix, it was one of Michael Mann first movies. I was planning on watching it, but may read the book first now, sounds encouraging, would you recommend book first?

Read cabal by Clive Barker, what a cool book, great for the Halloween season
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shyster on Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:48 pm

eddysnake wrote:I just came across this on netflix, it was one of Michael Mann first movies. I was planning on watching it, but may read the book first now, sounds encouraging, would you recommend book first?

I think I’d go for the book first. It’s been a long time since I saw the movie, but I think I recall a fair number of changes from what I read in the book.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JeffDFD on Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:55 pm

I don't venture into this thread often, but has anyone read or heard anything about this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Life-After-Death- ... 0399160205

I remember hearing about the West Memphis 3 a while ago and being fascinated...wondering if anyone has an opinion on if the book is any good
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:47 am

Finished the Idiot this weekend. It was tough to sort through all the characters mostly because Russian names and nicknames/surnames are tough to match. Probably something I'll want to reread at some point in life to because it'll be easier to read knowing all the characters from the beginning.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Puffymuffin on Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:57 am

I'm reading World War Z, so far it's pretty good.

Got a whole bunch of old sci-fi books from my dad a few months ago, read them all so I got a bunch of new ones myself, didn't realize how much I liked reading books. Hadn't read a proper book in almost 10 years I guess.
Puffymuffin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JeffDFD on Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:01 am

Puffymuffin wrote:I'm reading World War Z, so far it's pretty good.

Got a whole bunch of old sci-fi books from my dad a few months ago, read them all so I got a bunch of new ones myself, didn't realize how much I liked reading books. Hadn't read a proper book in almost 10 years I guess.

Did you read The Zombie Survival Guide?
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rylan on Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:00 pm

World War Z was such a fun read. Really good.

I just started the Alex Cross series by James Patterson. Going to work on either the second book or jump ship to John Sandford and read the Prey series.

Thoughts?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:05 pm

Currently reading "Northern Light", about the mysterious death of Canadian artist Tom Thomson.

Absolutely fascinating book. I knew nothing of Tom Thomson. I bought the book when I was in Toronto, it was an "Indigo Recommended Read". Glad I did.

FYI - Indigo is an awesome Canadian book store chain.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby malkinshair on Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:45 pm

JeffDFD wrote:

I read them both a while ago...they're both fun reads. I didn't realize that they're coming out with a movie for World War Z starring Brad Pitt? Could be interesting.
I'm still miffed that my wife won't let me make a homemade Lobo to keep under the bed. We'll see who's 'such a child' on Z-Day.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JeffDFD on Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:58 pm

malkinshair wrote:
JeffDFD wrote:

I read them both a while ago...they're both fun reads. I didn't realize that they're coming out with a movie for World War Z starring Brad Pitt? Could be interesting.
I'm still miffed that my wife won't let me make a homemade Lobo to keep under the bed. We'll see who's 'such a child' on Z-Day.

Yes, the movie will be set up differently than the book (which is a bunch of short stories jumping around basically, so no consistent plot line I su ppose) but I believe Pitt is the Scientist going around recording everything. I think the movie will be more of a "as it happens" as opposed to the books "looking back" approach.

The script went through a couple of rewrites and I haven't heard anything recently (haven't been looking though) but I know they were filming a year ago around this time because I read some story about them getting in trouble because a shipment of fake/altered guns for the movie was confiscated in wahtever country they were shooting in - even though they thought they had cleared it.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Puffymuffin on Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:39 pm

JeffDFD wrote:

Haven't read it yet, but might buy it after I've finished World War Z.
Puffymuffin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby legame on Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:10 pm

Rarely get to read for pleasure anymore.

In the past week, I've read:

Nurturing the Nation: The Family Politics of Modernizing, Colonizing, and Liberating Egypt 1805-1923

Life in a Medieval Village

Elizabeth Cady Stanton: An American Life

The Anatomy of Fascism.

When I do get a minute to myself, I've been working on Indian Blues: American Indians and the Politics of Music that a friend at UL-Lafayette wrote.
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby eddysnake on Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:31 pm

Anyone ever read any of the Jack Reacher novels?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Troy Loney on Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:41 pm

Just finished the Secret Agent by Joseph Conrad at lunch, pretty interesting to think how clairvoyant some people seem to be.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:40 pm

I finished Karl Marlantes' books - Matterhorn and What It Is Like To Go To War - in about a week. Great, great reads. Matterhorn is fiction, but very closely based on Marlantes' experiences as a Marine in Vietnam in 1969. What It Is Like is a memoir, mixed with personal accounts of his action in Vietnam as well as a good bit of philosophical discussion on how to treat combat veterans. I can't recommend either book highly enough.

I'm now reading Ken Follett's Winter of the World, the second book in the Century Trilogy. Not bad, just full of contrived coincidences. But a fun read.

Next up will be Sorrow of War by Bao Ninh, a Vietnam memoir from the North Vietnam perspective. After that, I hope my dear family gets me Neil Young's new autobiography, Waging Heavy Peace.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby JeffDFD on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:18 am

I ended up getting a copy of the Damien Echols book "Life After Death" about his story of being (wrongfully) convicted and on death row and now recently being released.

Interesting for sure.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to NHR