Non-Pirates Baseball Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Non-Pirates Baseball Thread

Postby offsides on Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:00 am

I have seen a lot of questionable pitch calls tonight. With all the replays going on in sports today, wonder how long before balls and strikes can be reviewed, or the home plate ump's calls are replaced with a computer? Let's face it, these calls can be game changers and everyone wants every call to be perfect anymore. No room for mistakes.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,508
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:48 pm
Location: Man Cave in Washington, PA

Re: Non-Pirates Baseball Thread

Postby MWB on Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:01 am

offsides wrote:I have seen a lot of questionable pitch calls tonight. With all the replays going on in sports today, wonder how long before balls and strikes can be reviewed, or the home plate ump's calls are replaced with a computer? Let's face it, these calls can be game changers and everyone wants every call to be perfect anymore. No room for mistakes.


If they ever use replay for balls and strikes the game would be finished. Computerized calls? The league wouldn't allow it. If an ump is consistent with balls/strikes that's all that really matters. The large majority of umps are quite consistent with their zones.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,863
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:36 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Non-Pirates Baseball Thread

Postby offsides on Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:21 am

MWB wrote:
offsides wrote:I have seen a lot of questionable pitch calls tonight. With all the replays going on in sports today, wonder how long before balls and strikes can be reviewed, or the home plate ump's calls are replaced with a computer? Let's face it, these calls can be game changers and everyone wants every call to be perfect anymore. No room for mistakes.


If they ever use replay for balls and strikes the game would be finished. Computerized calls? The league wouldn't allow it. If an ump is consistent with balls/strikes that's all that really matters. The large majority of umps are quite consistent with their zones.


You could be right, but I'm still betting it happens some day. I never thought some of these NFL rule changes would happen, but they did and with zero affect on it's popularity. Also that is a big IF on ump consistency. Why allow an umpire to determine the outcome of a playoff game on a questionable call when the computer can get it right every time. They have the technology to make it work.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,508
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:48 pm
Location: Man Cave in Washington, PA

Re: Non-Pirates Baseball Thread

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:51 am

Ratings do not show that the nfl changes have had 0 affect on its popularity.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,536
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: Non-Pirates Baseball Thread

Postby skullman80 on Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:07 pm

NFL ratings seem to be as good if not better than ever from articles I've seen.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,726
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: New Kensington, PA

Re: Non-Pirates Baseball Thread

Postby Rylan on Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:27 pm

Gambling/Fantasy will keep the NFL alive for a very long time no matter what rules are changed.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,054
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Non-Pirates Baseball Thread

Postby MWB on Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:14 pm

offsides wrote:
You could be right, but I'm still betting it happens some day. I never thought some of these NFL rule changes would happen, but they did and with zero affect on it's popularity. Also that is a big IF on ump consistency. Why allow an umpire to determine the outcome of a playoff game on a questionable call when the computer can get it right every time. They have the technology to make it work.


Replays on balls and strikes would take a game that has already been affected negatively by slow play and make it worse.

At this point, I'm also not sure how a computerized system would work. The strike zone changes with each batter. How would the parameters be set up? Something like the pitch tracks that tvs use? Maybe something like that would work, I'm just not sure the level of accuracy there.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,863
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:36 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Non-Pirates Baseball Thread

Postby offsides on Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:27 pm

MWB wrote:
offsides wrote:
You could be right, but I'm still betting it happens some day. I never thought some of these NFL rule changes would happen, but they did and with zero affect on it's popularity. Also that is a big IF on ump consistency. Why allow an umpire to determine the outcome of a playoff game on a questionable call when the computer can get it right every time. They have the technology to make it work.


Replays on balls and strikes would take a game that has already been affected negatively by slow play and make it worse.

At this point, I'm also not sure how a computerized system would work. The strike zone changes with each batter. How would the parameters be set up? Something like the pitch tracks that tvs use? Maybe something like that would work, I'm just not sure the level of accuracy there.


I really don't have enough tech knowledge to guess the best way to do it. What if a TV type pitch track was used (height adjusted for each player) and the ump had an earpiece that chirped when a ball was in the strike zone? That way the ump would stay and he would know when to raise that right fist. Of course with the ego some of the umps have, they would never accept it.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,508
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:48 pm
Location: Man Cave in Washington, PA

Re: Non-Pirates Baseball Thread

Postby shafnutz05 on Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:54 pm

Puig with the golden sombrero today
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 57,863
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: Non-Pirates Baseball Thread

Postby offsides on Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:18 pm

Wacha does it again. Beats the best LA can put on the mound. I'd say LA is in trouble. Their two aces got beat back to back which is surprising to me.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,508
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:48 pm
Location: Man Cave in Washington, PA

Re: Non-Pirates Baseball Thread

Postby mac5155 on Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:37 pm

Sanchez has the slowest pitch timing ever
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 48,052
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Non-Pirates Baseball Thread

Postby CERV96 on Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:10 pm

no-no alert through 7 in Boston
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,665
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:49 am
Location: It's poop again!

Re: Non-Pirates Baseball Thread

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:19 pm

La is in trouble because wainwright is pitching. If he loses id call the series even. I dont really care who wins, the red sox are the least of 4 evils at this point.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,536
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: Non-Pirates Baseball Thread

Postby Eismann on Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:06 am

mac5155 wrote:Sanchez has the slowest pitch timing ever


AL games are a joke. Benoit is killing time with a knife. All the stupid crowd shot filler.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,855
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:14 am
Location: de minimus

Re: Non-Pirates Baseball Thread

Postby shafnutz05 on Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:25 pm

The Tigers pitching staff has been unbelievable this series. Wow.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 57,863
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: Non-Pirates Baseball Thread

Postby offsides on Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:23 pm

So far in the championship series, home field means nothing.

And as I type that, they tie it up with a grand slam.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,508
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:48 pm
Location: Man Cave in Washington, PA

Re: Non-Pirates Baseball Thread

Postby JoseCuervo on Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:23 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:The Tigers pitching staff has been unbelievable this series. Wow.


right on cue
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,809
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:20 pm
Location: Dallas

Re: Non-Pirates Baseball Thread

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:31 pm

Oh, to have instant offense like that! I admit I'm a tad jealous. :) Well, as "jealous" as I can get, anyway.

The Tigers took a wrong turn at after Albuquerque...
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,236
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm
Location: PDAS: In good hands since 2008. WIN IT FOR DUPER!

Re: Non-Pirates Baseball Thread

Postby shafnutz05 on Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:41 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:The Tigers pitching staff has been unbelievable this series. Wow.


right on cue


I control all
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 57,863
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: Non-Pirates Baseball Thread

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:46 pm

Well, then.

The Tigers must be sick. Just SICK.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,236
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm
Location: PDAS: In good hands since 2008. WIN IT FOR DUPER!

Re: Non-Pirates Baseball Thread

Postby offsides on Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:47 pm

Red Sox act like they just won the world series. All the did was lose home field, for whatever that is worth.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,508
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:48 pm
Location: Man Cave in Washington, PA

Re: Non-Pirates Baseball Thread

Postby Rocco on Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:03 am

JoseCuervo wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:The Tigers pitching staff has been unbelievable this series. Wow.


right on cue


#BanShafnutz
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 36,281
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:34 am
Location: Manor Farm

Re: Non-Pirates Baseball Thread

Postby CERV96 on Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:27 am

Lt. Dish wrote:Oh, to have instant offense like that! I admit I'm a tad jealous. :) Well, as "jealous" as I can get, anyway.

The Tigers took a wrong turn at after Albuquerque...


There is a price tag on things like this and unfortunatly the Pirates will probably never have that luxury unless that player is drafted and performing at a high level out of the gate.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,665
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:49 am
Location: It's poop again!

Re: Non-Pirates Baseball Thread

Postby FreeCandy44 on Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:47 am

Rocco wrote:
JoseCuervo wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:The Tigers pitching staff has been unbelievable this series. Wow.


right on cue


#BanShafnutz

You'd think he would learn by now.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,196
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:55 pm
Location: Nobody Loves Me, Neither Do I...

Re: Non-Pirates Baseball Thread

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:05 am

FreeCandy44 is having just an awesome start to the week this week. He's on pace for his best week in a long, long time.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 57,863
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests


e-mail