Non-Pirates Baseball Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Non-Pirates Baseball Thread

Postby Troy Loney on Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:46 am

might see a lot of guys get overpaid on shorter contracts the next couple of offseasons. We'll see very few FA's getting long term deals (probably just Cano this year), any guy worth getting a long term deal will get it while under initial team control.

But with the Giants, if Cain and Vogelsong rebound they only need Lincecum as a #4 starter. Kind of makes sense to overpay on that term to get a guy who has that kind of upside. He atleast proved he can pitch in the rotation at his current performance level.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby beerman on Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:06 am

thehockeyguru wrote:
KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
count2infinity wrote:2 years, 35 million for Lincecum?

not really explainable.

I hope this means they arent going to sign Pence. I'd love to see him sign with the Pirates.

They already overpaid Pence
beerman
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:10 am

Really? How much? I missed that
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:12 am

5yr/90mil
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:12 am

5 years around $75 million i think.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:13 am

got the years right.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:17 am

Troy Loney wrote:5 years around $75 million i think.

Thats not that bad. 15M per, though I would be more comfortable at 11-12M per if I were the Giants. Problem is the Pirates got a steal in McCutchen at 6/$51M. I see management having a problem paying any UFA more than that given Cutch's performance.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:20 am

thehockeyguru wrote:

Thats not that bad. 15M per, though I would be more comfortable at 11-12M per if I were the Giants. Problem is the Pirates got a steal in McCutchen at 6/$51M. I see management having a problem paying any UFA more than that given Cutch's performance.

18M per :pop:
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:22 am

thehockeyguru wrote:

See LITT's post. he probably looked it up, I was going off memory.

I hope management doesn't base contracts on what mccutchen got. control year contracts are another species from UFA contracts in MLB.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:23 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

18M per :pop:

My fault, I was looking at Troy Loney's figures. 5/90 is way too high.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Troy Loney on Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:25 am

I think the Pirates should just overpay Byrd on a two year deal, if/when Polanco is ready maybe they can move Byrd to first base.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:28 am

Troy Loney wrote:I think the Pirates should just overpay Byrd on a two year deal, if/when Polanco is ready maybe they can move Byrd to first base.

There arent any viable options at RF or 1B via Free Agency beyond Byrd. I liked the chemistry and the results from Byrd
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Troy Loney on Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:37 am

There aren't going to be any long term answers for the Pirates in FA. They should never trade a legit position prospect because of that, the Grossman trade is starting to sting a little bit, but that's only a temporary hit cause Polanco wasn't far behind. I think the worst case scenario is they come into spring training with Lambo, Sanchez, Jones, Tabata and Snider battling for playing time in those two spots, a milder worst case is Jones is non tendered and brought back at a reduced rate. I think this would be manageable if it weren't two offensive minded positions needing to be filled with that group.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:14 pm

Troy Loney wrote:There aren't going to be any long term answers for the Pirates in FA. They should never trade a legit position prospect because of that, the Grossman trade is starting to sting a little bit, but that's only a temporary hit cause Polanco wasn't far behind. I think the worst case scenario is they come into spring training with Lambo, Sanchez, Jones, Tabata and Snider battling for playing time in those two spots, a milder worst case is Jones is non tendered and brought back at a reduced rate. I think this would be manageable if it weren't two offensive minded positions needing to be filled with that group.

I dont think there is any viable solution internally at 1B for awhile. I'd rather see them go after a guy like Kendry Morales because of it. I'm fine with doing what stated at RF simply because Polonco is close.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:17 pm

kenny the kangaroo would like to think that dickerson could be somewhat comparable to morales
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:19 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:kenny the kangaroo would like to think that dickerson could be somewhat comparable to morales

Do you think he will start at AAA? From what I saw of him last season in a few trips to Altoona, he still had some work to do.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:23 pm

The problem with Morales is the Angles are going to tender an offer, so wouldnt the Pirates / any other team lose a pick if they sign him?
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rocco on Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:29 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:kenny the kangaroo would like to think that dickerson could be somewhat comparable to morales

Dickerson has a minor league history of starting slowly in April and May and catching fire in June. Pair him with Pedro doing his "I won't start taking baseball seriously until Memorial Day" routine in the middle of the lineup and I'm going to drink a lot.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:30 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:

Do you think he will start at AAA? From what I saw of him last season in a few trips to Altoona, he still had some work to do.

dude has power and played better as the season went along. thsi gentleman would assume hes going to spend a full year in AAA next year regardless of what he does.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:38 pm

Troy Loney wrote:There aren't going to be any long term answers for the Pirates in FA. They should never trade a legit position prospect because of that, the Grossman trade is starting to sting a little bit, but that's only a temporary hit cause Polanco wasn't far behind. I think the worst case scenario is they come into spring training with Lambo, Sanchez, Jones, Tabata and Snider battling for playing time in those two spots, a milder worst case is Jones is non tendered and brought back at a reduced rate. I think this would be manageable if it weren't two offensive minded positions needing to be filled with that group.

I will be very surprised if the Pirates dont make a big trade this off-season. Like you said, not many options via Free Agency and they have money to spend. I dont like giving up prospects, but I dont think they like the Free Agent crop.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Troy Loney on Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:56 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:The problem with Morales is the Angles are going to tender an offer, so wouldnt the Pirates / any other team lose a pick if they sign him?

Mariners you mean. but yes, they would lose a pick because they aren't picking in the top 15. I think those rules stayed the same.

I'm not sure what to think of Dickerson, I don't think he has a chance to make it to the major leagues this year. And when he does, I think he'd have more of a Mercer trajectory, in that it takes him a while before he gets into a place where they can give him regular at bats.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:58 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:

I will be very surprised if the Pirates dont make a big trade this off-season. Like you said, not many options via Free Agency and they have money to spend. I dont like giving up prospects, but I dont think they like the Free Agent crop.

The royals are said to be making Billy Butler available this offseason. Kingham is the best prospect i'd deal to make that trade happen.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:01 pm

Troy Loney wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

The royals are said to be making Billy Butler available this offseason. Kingham is the best prospect i'd deal to make that trade happen.

I've always been a huge Butler fan. I would love to see the Pirates go after him and we wouldn't give up a Stanton type package. I didn't think he was as bad defensively as people are making him out to be.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:05 pm

Butler hasn't really played 1B since 2010; at least regularly.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:07 pm

Can't be worse than Jones.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR