Non-Pirates Baseball Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Non-Pirates Baseball Thread

Postby columbia on Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:03 pm

I'd like to think that we all have a future free of Joe Buck.
Is that possible?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Rocco on Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:55 pm

Wow. Wong picked off to end the game with Beltran at the plate. Great fundamentals there.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:00 pm

Hehe....wong.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Fast B on Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:14 am

Rocco wrote:Wow. Wong picked off to end the game with Beltran at the plate. Great fundamentals there.

So you're saying they do it the Wong way?

(I'll show myself out.)
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Tomas on Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:18 am

Fast B wrote:
Rocco wrote:Wow. Wong picked off to end the game with Beltran at the plate. Great fundamentals there.

So you're saying they do it the Wong way?

(I'll show myself out.)

The first thing that came to my mind after the out was Sum Ting... :twisted:
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Daniel87 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:19 pm

Ortiz is unreal right now. 11-14 in the World Series, and one of those non-hits was a grand slam that was taken back.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Staggy on Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:46 pm

I'm sure he's clean.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pittsports87 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:30 pm

Staggy wrote:I'm sure he's clean.

Steroids might give him more power, but they have no effect on how he is seeing the ball and making contact with it. Going 11/15 in a 5 game stretch in the biggest series of the season is amazing no matter how you look at it.
pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rylan on Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:07 am

pittsports87 wrote:

Steroids might give him more power, but they have no effect on how he is seeing the ball and making contact with it. Going 11/15 in a 5 game stretch in the biggest series of the season is amazing no matter how you look at it.

Bingo.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Staggy on Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:46 am

pittsports87 wrote:

Sure, I just find it amusing how Arod is the devil while Ortiz is universally beloved. I don't think he has gone to the lengths that Arod has, but most people don't even remember he cheated, let alone consider the possibility that he may still be.

But I do agree he's been phenomenal all year, especially in the playoffs.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:44 am

I completely agree that the over-the-top love for "PAPI" is nauseating, compared with the treatment of other cheaters in baseball. I don't really get bent out of shape about that stuff, but the fawning over Ortiz is awful
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:51 am

Ortiz is pretty awesome. Definitely the most tolerable player in the al east and hes performing like a god in the biggest series of the year...while actually having to be a complete player.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby CERV96 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:54 am

I say they should give him the gold glove for DH.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:09 am

If andrelton simmons doesn't win the gold glove, it will be a travesty.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:05 am

Idoit40fans wrote:If andrelton simmons doesn't win the gold glove, it will be a travesty.

Pretty much. Dude is lights out.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby since1970 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:21 am

pittsports87 wrote:

Actually, steroids would give him a huge advantage this late in the year. You always see the ball, it's a matter of your body being able to react, and if you feel physically like you did in April/May and you're hitting against pitchers who've thrown 200 innings you're way ahead of the curve. The power aspect of steroids is only one part, it's the ability not to wear down like everyone else that's the biggest help. it's what makes the best hitters monsters. The coordination between brain and body doesn't erode as much, so when you see the pitch and your brain says swing your body doesn't have that half or whole second delay when you're worn down, and your bat speed is still where it was early in the season. If the guy you're facing has lost an MPH or two and doesn't have the same movement on his pitches, or his location is just a bit off from being tired you can have a field day at the plate.
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ulf on Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:44 am

Rylan wrote:
pittsports87 wrote:

Bingo.

I'm not saying he's still juicing, but that's a dumb argument. To say strength has nothing to do with base hits is ignorant. Sure someone can stick a bat out and make contact, but turning on pitches, getting around on fastballs, flicking outside pitches into a gap instead of popping out. Better bat speed helps all of these things. Steroids help you do more than hit home runs
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rylan on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:28 am

ulf wrote:
Rylan wrote:
pittsports87 wrote:

Bingo.

I'm not saying he's still juicing, but that's a dumb argument. To say strength has nothing to do with base hits is ignorant. Sure someone can stick a bat out and make contact, but turning on pitches, getting around on fastballs, flicking outside pitches into a gap instead of popping out. Better bat speed helps all of these things. Steroids help you do more than hit home runs

I was more the going 11/15 in a 5 game stretch part than the first part. Steroids or not, going 11/15 is amazing.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:30 am

I say let everyone juice that way every player would be hitting balls into the parking lot
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby viva la ben on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:37 am

They could add the supplements to the statline.
HGH, AS, Meth
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:40 am

Haha 280 avg 55 RBI -favors HGH-
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:16 pm

The Debunker: Did Bill Buckner’s Error Lose the 1986 World Series for the Red Sox?

It’s Exhibit A in any explication of “the Curse of the Bambino,” that 86-year period of futility and self-flagellation that defined being a Red Sox fan in the 20th century. The 1986 World Series against the Mets, as many fans remember it, was decided by first baseman Bill Buckner, who let an easy ground ball roll between his legs in the bottom of the tenth inning, costing his team the series. Never mind the guy’s twenty-year career, 2,715 hits, and 1980 National League batting title. He was forever the goat, the pariah, the guy who choked. Red Sox fans sent Buckner death threats and heckled him on the field until the team released him the following year.

Buckner’s error actually happened, of course. You’ve probably seen the clip many times. Mookie Wilson’s slow roller is an easy play, but Buckner, still in the game on gimpy ankles because manager John McNamara wanted his starters on the field for the seemingly inevitable Red Sox victory celebration, rushes the ball and misplays it. The winning run scores from second base, game over. But was this the final game of the World Series? Did the Red Sox have the lead at the time? No on both counts!

Buckner’s error did end the game…but it ended Game 6! In the final game of the series, two days later at Shea, the Red Sox built an early 3-0 lead that they then blew for reasons unrelated to Buckner. (In fact, he went 2-4 in the game and scored a run.) More to the point, Buckner’s Game 6 error came after the Red Sox had already given up a 5-3 lead! In that fateful tenth inning, Red Sox closer Calvin Schiraldi had given up three straight singles, and his replacement, Bob Stanley, uncorked a wild pitch that tied the game. There’s not even any guarantee that Buckner would have beaten the fleet-footed Mookie Wilson to the bag even if he fielded the ball cleanly. But even leaving that aside, it would have been easy for Buckner to blame the lost World Series on Stanley (for his wild pitch) or Schiraldi (who took the losses in both Games 6 and 7, chalking up a sorry 13.50 ERA for the Series). But, no, he never said a thing. He bore Boston’s sins on his sturdy shoulders and bushy mustache. To me, Bill Buckner isn’t a goat. He’s a damn hero.

http://www.woot.com/blog/post/the-debun ... rld-series
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MWB on Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:51 pm

That play is probably one of the most misunderstood baseball plays ever.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:53 pm

Cue the Cardinal excuses if they lose in game 6

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/grounded-c ... --mlb.html
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rocco on Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:47 pm

Remember how I kept saying that eventually the Cardinals offense would regress and that a team can't live on bunching a ton of hits together at the right time? It took a little longer than I hoped but they're hitting .222 with RISP this series and weren't particuarly good in those spots against the Pirates or Dodgers.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR