LGP Science Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby viva la ben on Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:08 pm

Simulations back up theory that Universe is a hologram.

http://www.nature.com/news/simulations- ... am-1.14328
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,160
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:45 am
Location: Location: Location

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:31 pm

NASA Mars rover finds evidence of life-friendly ancient lake
Scientists have found evidence of an ancient freshwater lake on Mars well suited to support microbial life, the researchers said Monday.

The lake, located inside Gale Crater where the rover landed in August 2012, likely covered an area 31 miles long and 3 miles wide, though its size varied over time.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,077
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby stopper40 on Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:02 pm

viva la ben wrote:Simulations back up theory that Universe is a hologram.

http://www.nature.com/news/simulations- ... am-1.14328



I was just coming to post this. Don't fully understand it, but I think it's cool nonetheless.
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,647
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:51 am
Location: BANNED for liking Butterfingers

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby stopper40 on Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:04 pm

tifosi77 wrote:NASA Mars rover finds evidence of life-friendly ancient lake
Scientists have found evidence of an ancient freshwater lake on Mars well suited to support microbial life, the researchers said Monday.

The lake, located inside Gale Crater where the rover landed in August 2012, likely covered an area 31 miles long and 3 miles wide, though its size varied over time.



I think we're getting closer and closer to a disclosure of alien life, but it's a long term "ease the public into it" kind of thing, with multiple world governments involved.
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,647
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:51 am
Location: BANNED for liking Butterfingers

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby viva la ben on Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:33 pm

stopper40 wrote:
viva la ben wrote:Simulations back up theory that Universe is a hologram.

http://www.nature.com/news/simulations- ... am-1.14328



I was just coming to post this. Don't fully understand it, but I think it's cool nonetheless.

Essentially everything we are and perceive is a projection from the edge of the boundary of our universe(which only has 2 dimensions) :bongrip:
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,160
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:45 am
Location: Location: Location

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby Willie Kool on Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:02 pm

stopper40 wrote:I think we're getting closer and closer to a disclosure of alien life, but it's a long term "ease the public into it" kind of thing, with multiple world governments involved.

Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,503
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Basically, can't **** with me

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby bhaw on Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:34 pm

stopper40 wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:NASA Mars rover finds evidence of life-friendly ancient lake
Scientists have found evidence of an ancient freshwater lake on Mars well suited to support microbial life, the researchers said Monday.

The lake, located inside Gale Crater where the rover landed in August 2012, likely covered an area 31 miles long and 3 miles wide, though its size varied over time.



I think we're getting closer and closer to a disclosure of alien life, but it's a long term "ease the public into it" kind of thing, with multiple world governments involved.


You logged in to the wrong account to post this, Doc.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,002
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby Gaucho on Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:30 pm

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,031
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby redwill on Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:28 pm

"By following that reasoning, if we put male hormones in a chicken and we make a homosexual eat it he will transform into a heterosexual."


This is a high school science project waiting to happen.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,787
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:04 pm
Location: Wichita, KS

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby Gaucho on Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:04 pm

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,031
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby count2infinity on Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:23 pm

I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking at there, but it's beautiful. The best I can tell is they draw a straight line from Venus to Earth at random points in time over an 8 year period?
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,196
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: #isitoctoberyet??? Lololololololol

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:27 pm

i used to do that when i was a kid

Spoiler:
Image
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,972
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:59 pm
Location: The Panda Will Fly Away On A Rainbow

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby columbia on Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:57 am

columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 46,431
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby count2infinity on Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:21 am

Well, at least it's getting better. :lol:
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,196
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: #isitoctoberyet??? Lololololololol

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:24 pm

That's kinda general isn't it? One can believe in creation but also believe that our species has evolved in some ways. Just not from monkeys.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,085
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby columbia on Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:31 pm

columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 46,431
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:06 pm

I see the resemblance
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,085
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby Willie Kool on Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:16 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:I see the resemblance


More evidence:

Spoiler:
Image
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,503
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Basically, can't **** with me

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:36 am

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,031
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:51 am



Makes sense. It basically feels like a reset button when you do it.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,085
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:44 am

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,031
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby count2infinity on Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:46 am

are we still getting signal from voyager 1? if so, holy crap that's impressive.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,196
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: #isitoctoberyet??? Lololololololol

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:19 pm

is pluto still not a planet?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,972
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:59 pm
Location: The Panda Will Fly Away On A Rainbow

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby count2infinity on Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:27 pm

It's considered a "dwarf planet". It along with Eris (about the same size as Pluto) are not considered planets.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,196
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: #isitoctoberyet??? Lololololololol

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby viva la ben on Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:21 pm

I believe the politically correct term is "little planet"
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,160
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:45 am
Location: Location: Location

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Admin, Mr. Colby and 4 guests

e-mail