LGP Science Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby Kraftster on Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:56 pm

I watched Through the Wormhole the other day. I think this one was titled 'Is there a Creator?'

Really a fascinating show and Morgan Freeman is a great narrator. The two most interesting (probably because they were new to me) theories on there were the "God Experience" neurosurgeon guy and the "The Sims" guy. The first guy basically believes that neurologically, we have evolved to experience the sensation of a "presence" of something other than ourselves in order to reduce our anxiety generally and specifically with respect to fearing death/our own mortality. He thinks he can simulate the experience in a lab and he seemed to do just that with the girl that went through his experiment based upon the comments she made afterward. If a leaning towards religious belief is evolutionary it would be pretty fascinating because a greater portion of the most intelligent individuals in the world are atheists/agnostics than are theists. So, for the sake of survival, we would evolve in such a way as to potentially reduce intelligence (correlation is not causation, I realize, just interesting to speculate about).

The other dude presented a pretty compelling argument, going into particle/wave duality, that we are basically 'The Sims' of some future, more advanced humans. Made a more convincing argument than I expected.

What a show.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,732
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:25 am
Location: Frolik

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby wallflower on Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:13 pm

Kraftster wrote:What a show.

It's really excellent.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,913
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:19 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby doublem on Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:06 pm

Kraftster wrote:I watched Through the Wormhole the other day. I think this one was titled 'Is there a Creator?'

Really a fascinating show and Morgan Freeman is a great narrator. The two most interesting (probably because they were new to me) theories on there were the "God Experience" neurosurgeon guy and the "The Sims" guy. The first guy basically believes that neurologically, we have evolved to experience the sensation of a "presence" of something other than ourselves in order to reduce our anxiety generally and specifically with respect to fearing death/our own mortality. He thinks he can simulate the experience in a lab and he seemed to do just that with the girl that went through his experiment based upon the comments she made afterward. If a leaning towards religious belief is evolutionary it would be pretty fascinating because a greater portion of the most intelligent individuals in the world are atheists/agnostics than are theists. So, for the sake of survival, we would evolve in such a way as to potentially reduce intelligence (correlation is not causation, I realize, just interesting to speculate about).

The other dude presented a pretty compelling argument, going into particle/wave duality, that we are basically 'The Sims' of some future, more advanced humans. Made a more convincing argument than I expected.

What a show.


What channel was this on? This sounds great.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,430
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:05 pm

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby doublem on Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:06 pm

http://www.greenwichtime.com/news/artic ... 527677.php

FDA panel backs new emergency contraceptive
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,430
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:05 pm

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby doublem on Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:07 pm

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... um=twitter

FDA Fines Red Cross $16M For Blood Safety Failures

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. That is real bad.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,430
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:05 pm

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:33 pm

doublem wrote:http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127915167&f=1001&sc=tw&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

FDA Fines Red Cross $16M For Blood Safety Failures

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. That is real bad.


Horrible. If there is one thing that you need to be BEYOND careful with, it's blood screening. That will make me think twice about giving blood...if they can't screen properly God knows they could be reusing needles
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 55,664
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby Corvidae on Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:42 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
doublem wrote:http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127915167&f=1001&sc=tw&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

FDA Fines Red Cross $16M For Blood Safety Failures

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. That is real bad.


Horrible. If there is one thing that you need to be BEYOND careful with, it's blood screening. That will make me think twice about giving blood...if they can't screen properly God knows they could be reusing needles


Bleh, I hating thinking about that. I went to the Health Department in Oakland today for a tetanus shot. My insurance wouldn't cover it so it would have cost me almost $80 at my PCP. It was 10 bucks there so worth the trip. I just hope they used a clean needle (and the shot was ANTI-tetanus)

On a side note, there are significantly less people on the 3rd floor waiting for vaccines than on the 1st waiting for STD screening. I was in and out in like 10 minutes. When I walked outside some dude in a lab coat handed me a piece of paper about how I would someday have to stand before God and answer for my sins. I told him he was gay, he said no and walked away.
Last edited by Corvidae on Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,108
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:47 am

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby doublem on Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:44 pm

When I walked outside some dude in a lab coat handed me a piece of paper about how I would someday have to stand before God and atone for my sins. I told him he was gay, he said no and walked away.


LULZ. Those people are really annoying.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,430
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:05 pm

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby doublem on Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:17 pm

http://www.tm.org/blog/students/nationa ... -research/

National Institutes of Health spotlights TM research.

Somewhat science.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,430
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:05 pm

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:23 pm

wallflower wrote:
Kraftster wrote:What a show.

It's really excellent.

Haven't watched that yet but saw the Steven hawking special that was on before it last night. Amazing.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,361
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:48 am

shmenguin wrote:
wallflower wrote:
Kraftster wrote:What a show.

It's really excellent.

Haven't watched that yet but saw the Steven hawking special that was on before it last night. Amazing.

I wanted to watch that on Discovery, but I missed it :thumbdown: . Looked really interesting though.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,027
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:47 pm
Location: Hamilton

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby Kraftster on Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:36 am

doublem wrote:
Kraftster wrote:I watched Through the Wormhole the other day. I think this one was titled 'Is there a Creator?'

Really a fascinating show and Morgan Freeman is a great narrator. The two most interesting (probably because they were new to me) theories on there were the "God Experience" neurosurgeon guy and the "The Sims" guy. The first guy basically believes that neurologically, we have evolved to experience the sensation of a "presence" of something other than ourselves in order to reduce our anxiety generally and specifically with respect to fearing death/our own mortality. He thinks he can simulate the experience in a lab and he seemed to do just that with the girl that went through his experiment based upon the comments she made afterward. If a leaning towards religious belief is evolutionary it would be pretty fascinating because a greater portion of the most intelligent individuals in the world are atheists/agnostics than are theists. So, for the sake of survival, we would evolve in such a way as to potentially reduce intelligence (correlation is not causation, I realize, just interesting to speculate about).

The other dude presented a pretty compelling argument, going into particle/wave duality, that we are basically 'The Sims' of some future, more advanced humans. Made a more convincing argument than I expected.

What a show.


What channel was this on? This sounds great.


Science Channel.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,732
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:25 am
Location: Frolik

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby doublem on Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:29 am

Kraftster wrote:
doublem wrote:
Kraftster wrote:I watched Through the Wormhole the other day. I think this one was titled 'Is there a Creator?'

Really a fascinating show and Morgan Freeman is a great narrator. The two most interesting (probably because they were new to me) theories on there were the "God Experience" neurosurgeon guy and the "The Sims" guy. The first guy basically believes that neurologically, we have evolved to experience the sensation of a "presence" of something other than ourselves in order to reduce our anxiety generally and specifically with respect to fearing death/our own mortality. He thinks he can simulate the experience in a lab and he seemed to do just that with the girl that went through his experiment based upon the comments she made afterward. If a leaning towards religious belief is evolutionary it would be pretty fascinating because a greater portion of the most intelligent individuals in the world are atheists/agnostics than are theists. So, for the sake of survival, we would evolve in such a way as to potentially reduce intelligence (correlation is not causation, I realize, just interesting to speculate about).

The other dude presented a pretty compelling argument, going into particle/wave duality, that we are basically 'The Sims' of some future, more advanced humans. Made a more convincing argument than I expected.

What a show.


What channel was this on? This sounds great.


Science Channel.


Damn, don't get that.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,430
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:05 pm

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby shmenguin on Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:06 pm

Physical_Graffiti wrote:
shmenguin wrote:Haven't watched that yet but saw the Steven hawking special that was on before it last night. Amazing.

I wanted to watch that on Discovery, but I missed it :thumbdown: . Looked really interesting though.


really cool. basically explained how the universe formed, from a physical standpoint. the visuals they used made the complex theories seem pretty simple.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,361
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:54 pm

shmenguin wrote:
Physical_Graffiti wrote:
shmenguin wrote:Haven't watched that yet but saw the Steven hawking special that was on before it last night. Amazing.

I wanted to watch that on Discovery, but I missed it :thumbdown: . Looked really interesting though.


really cool. basically explained how the universe formed, from a physical standpoint. the visuals they used made the complex theories seem pretty simple.

Was this the same show where Hawking was going to talk about aliens and why he believes they exist (and that we will eventually meet them)?
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,027
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:47 pm
Location: Hamilton

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby bhaw on Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:41 am

Physical_Graffiti wrote:Was this the same show where Hawking was going to talk about aliens and why he believes they exist (and that we will eventually meet them)?


I think that was "Into the Universe." There's another show on the Science Channel with Hawking where he basically explains the universe and how it works. They use analogies to help.

The one thing that Steven Hawking said that kind of blew me away was that his goal is to figure out why there is even a universe to begin with. 99.999.....% of people can't even understand what the universe actually is and here he is trying to figure out WHY there is a universe at all. It's another level that is mind blowing to me.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 26,996
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby doublem on Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:33 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/10350373.stm

Tea and coffee 'protect against heart disease'
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,430
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:05 pm

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby wallflower on Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:40 am

doublem wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/10350373.stm

Tea and coffee 'protect against heart disease'


My initial reaction was, "AWESOME!" as I am a tea drinker. However, I then got to this part :
Those who drank more than six cups of tea a day cut their risk of heart disease by a third, the study of 40,000 people found.

I would have to replace water with hot tea to drink that much during the day and that's just not going to happen.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,913
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:19 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby doublem on Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:51 am

wallflower wrote:
doublem wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/10350373.stm

Tea and coffee 'protect against heart disease'


My initial reaction was, "AWESOME!" as I am a tea drinker. However, I then got to this part :
Those who drank more than six cups of tea a day cut their risk of heart disease by a third, the study of 40,000 people found.

I would have to replace water with hot tea to drink that much during the day and that's just not going to happen.


I do like tea but don't drink it that often, not that big of fan if warm beverages.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,430
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:05 pm

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby doublem on Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:45 pm

Yellow sub finds clues to Antarctic glacier's thaw

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6 ... nt=Twitter

GW. :scared: :scared:
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,430
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:05 pm

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby Corvidae on Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:58 pm

Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,108
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:47 am

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby doublem on Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:04 pm

doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,430
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:05 pm

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby doublem on Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:06 pm

Wait it is it, I read the book it terrified me. :shock:
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,430
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:05 pm

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby Corvidae on Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:38 pm

doublem wrote:Wait it is it, I read the book it terrified me. :shock:


The Family That Couldn't Sleep?
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,108
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:47 am

Re: LGP Science Thread

Postby doublem on Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:39 pm

Corvidae wrote:
doublem wrote:Wait it is it, I read the book it terrified me. :shock:


The Family That Couldn't Sleep?


yes.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,430
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:05 pm

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: stopper40 and 3 guests

e-mail