Where are my Gun Owners?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Where are my Gun Owners?

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:44 pm

yubb wrote:I wouldn't say he "shut him down" exactly.

I wouldn't, either, but it seemed evident the notion of a law enforcement officer who does not support gun control is something of a three-headed fish for Morgan. He really didn't quite now how to handle things.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby yubb on Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:32 am

Agreed. It was actually refreshing compared to the attitude of Montgomery County.

I still don't see how a foreigner's opinion on this matter can really be taken seriously. They judge everything by the culture of their homeland.
yubb
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:39 am

SC senate finally updated the law so that carrying legally into a restaurant that serves alcohol provided you don't drink, which is already illegal, is no longer a crime.

The reasons people are against it are laughable. They assume there are a bunch of people just waiting to be allowed to carry legally so they can now get into shoot outs. If they were going to do that then they are already carrying illegally.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:05 pm

:lol: Tif, tell me you didn't vote for this ******.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ffemtreed on Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:25 pm

That isn't any worse than the stupid beeotch senator from Colorado who didn't know magazines could be reused, or that stupid ugly troll Feinstein who thought that (her words here) "a barrel shroud was one of those shoulder thingys that go up"

It just shows that those legislature's are trying to legislate something they don't even understand. Just trying to tote the party line so they can keep the heads of the democratic party happy so the campaign money keeps flowing.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby viva la ben on Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:46 pm

As a frame of reference a modern day minigun fires ~3k rounds per minute, or 25 rounds in half a second....OUT OF SIX BARRELS.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mac5155 on Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:48 pm

but how many round clip magazines per second does it fire?
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:46 pm

mac5155 wrote:

:lol: Tif, tell me you didn't vote for this ******.

He's east of us, thank god.

30 magazine clips in half a second!!!!!!!!! :scared:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:47 pm

Okay, gotta admit this one made me :shock: and then :lol:
Spoiler:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shyster on Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:54 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Okay, gotta admit this one made me :shock: and then :lol:
Spoiler:

Plugged barrel? Double-charged cartridge? Or an example of a "Glock kb!"?
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:17 pm

Restaurant carry passed the SC House, on to the Governor to sign in to law. According to several Democrats here in SC we will now have mass shootouts at Chili's.

Other changes:
-Making it easier for retired military, LEO and active duty military to get permits
-Business owners can grant specific written exemptions for people that override a general ban with a posted sign
-new and renewed permits will be good for 5 years instead of 4 (and I just renewed, grrr)
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Godric on Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:21 pm

Spoiler:
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby mac5155 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:45 pm

Why? The ammo will be more expensive and unless you're out hunting humans at 500+ yards its the same as a .223
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:42 am

Talking about Magpul's motives for moving to Wyoming and Texas. Well, part of that has been revealed: Wyoming Welcomes Magpul with $13 Million in Proposed Relocation Aid
On Thursday, the Wyoming Business Council voted unanimously to support a $13 million economic development package for Magpul Industries. The company announced earlier this year that it would relocate its manufacturing, distribution, and shipping activities to Cheyenne, Wyoming. This includes the construction of a 100,000-square-foot facility in Wyoming’s capital, as well as the temporary lease of a 58,000-square-foot building.

Magpul initially announced its departure from Colorado last March, after the state passed a package of strict new gun control laws. At the time the company voiced criticism of the new laws, which included a ban on “assault weapons” and limited magazine size.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shyster on Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:59 pm

A panel of the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals has struck down California's scheme regulating concealed and open carry, at least as that scheme is present in San Diego county.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volo ... n-opinion/

The majority opinion first holds that bearing arms outside the home is a core element of the right protected by the Second Amendment. California must provide its average, law-abiding citizens some way to legally bear arms in public. The opinion then holds that the present scheme violates that right. California prohibits all forms of open carry (even when the gun is unloaded), and the may-issue requirements for concealed carry in San Diego—which not only require “good cause” to get a permit but also say that “concern for one’s personal safety alone is not considered good cause”—is essentially the same as a total prohibition. In San Diego, it’s flatly illegal to carry openly, and functionally impossible to carry concealed. The Ninth Circuit says the government can’t do both. The state can ban open carry and allow concealed carry, or ban concealed carry and allow open carry, but it cannot prohibit both methods of bearing arms at the same time.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:04 pm

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/law- ... smith.html

What is the consensus on this? I believe this technology is used on tasers. I understand that it would have some additional costs that would be passed to the consumer. But it would curtail some crime.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ffemtreed on Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:15 pm

Shyster wrote:A panel of the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals has struck down California's scheme regulating concealed and open carry, at least as that scheme is present in San Diego county.

The majority opinion first holds that bearing arms outside the home is a core element of the right protected by the Second Amendment. California must provide its average, law-abiding citizens some way to legally bear arms in public. The opinion then holds that the present scheme violates that right. California prohibits all forms of open carry (even when the gun is unloaded), and the may-issue requirements for concealed carry in San Diego—which not only require “good cause” to get a permit but also say that “concern for one’s personal safety alone is not considered good cause”—is essentially the same as a total prohibition. In San Diego, it’s flatly illegal to carry openly, and functionally impossible to carry concealed. The Ninth Circuit says the government can’t do both. The state can ban open carry and allow concealed carry, or ban concealed carry and allow open carry, but it cannot prohibit both methods of bearing arms at the same time.

Good news is that it creates some direct circuit splits on this issue and is now ripe for the supreme court to finally take up this issue. Should be a fun ride.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ffemtreed on Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:20 pm

Troy Loney wrote:http://www.ocregister.com/articles/law-598722-wesson-smith.html

What is the consensus on this? I believe this technology is used on tasers. I understand that it would have some additional costs that would be passed to the consumer. But it would curtail some crime.

Microstamping technology???? Completely worthless, it would take a criminal about 3 seconds with a file to alter the firing pin to completely avoid the microstamping technology. There are loose ends with this law as well, how do you replace a broken firing pin? Do you need to go the manufacture and order a special one with your # on it? If so, how do you secure that it is the true owner getting said firing pin?

This is just some goofy method that sounds good on its face by the antis to make gun ownership harder and more expensive. This law will have zero affect on crime.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:00 pm

Shyster wrote:A panel of the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals has struck down California's scheme regulating concealed and open carry, at least as that scheme is present in San Diego county.

There was a discussion about this a day or two ago in conjunction with the Glock lawsuit. S&W and Ruger have joined the suit to get the 'good gun roster' overturned on civil rights grounds. (S&W specifically mentioned the microstamping requirement in their press release) Since the start of 2014 the CA DOJ has removed 28 handguns from the roster, nearly all of which (22) were S&W models; there were only 29 guns removed from the roster in all of 2013.

One of the more popular handguns to come out in recent years - the Springfield XDm - is not easily available in CA because it's not on the roster. You can buy it from an out-of-state shop if they first convert it to single-shot and ship it to your local FFL in-state. Where you can then wait a few weeks and take the single-shot pistol to a gunsmith who can convert it back to mag-fed. This is legal.

ffemtreed wrote:Microstamping technology????........This is just some goofy method that sounds good on its face by the antis to make gun ownership harder and more expensive. This law will have zero affect on crime.

Which is something that could be said of nearly all gun control legislation. Well intended, but ill informed and ultimately hopeless.

My understanding is far from complete, but I gather microstamping (provided the stamp is intact) can be a useful forensic aid in tying a specific gun to a specific bullet. But it still cannot tie a specific shooter to either, which is really the important bit. I used to be a proponent of 'fingerprinting' like this, but after doing more detailed reading I came to realize it's just hokum.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:05 pm

Also, it is probably of no surprise that the two majority judges were Republican appointees (Reagan and GWB), and the dissent was a Clinton appointee with a progressive record and who was vetted by the Obama administration to fill JP Stevens' SCOTUS a couple years ago. (The nomination eventually went to Elena Kagan)
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shyster on Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:21 pm

tifosi77 wrote:My understanding is far from complete, but I gather microstamping (provided the stamp is intact) can be a useful forensic aid in tying a specific gun to a specific bullet. But it still cannot tie a specific shooter to either, which is really the important bit. I used to be a proponent of 'fingerprinting' like this, but after doing more detailed reading I came to realize it's just hokum.

The article also says “bullet,” but I believe microstamping applies to the cartridge case, not the bullet itself. Anything stamped anywhere but the tip of the bullet would be rendered illegible as the bullet passes down the barrel anyway. So the technology would tie a specific gun to a specific piece of brass, not a specific bullet. That provides even more options for avoidance. You could simply take a second and pick up your brass, or you could use a brass catcher, and of course revolvers don’t eject their brass at all. You could also obfuscate the matter by going to a shooting range and picking up other people’s spent brass. Sure, you might leave a traceable piece of spent brass at the scene of the crime, but it’s going to be mixed in with brass from 20 other guns.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:24 pm

So does this mean that CA is now a 'shall issue' state? Almost all of the 'may issue' counties are similarly disposed.

Interestingly, the CCW law in L.A. County was struck down (at the Superior Court level) last month because it required permit seekers to first obtain a quasi-permit from their chief of police.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:23 pm

Looks that way. NJ is next on the list to challenge their effective ban. MD, RI and MA should follow and then NYC and DC.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ffemtreed on Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:24 am

DelPen wrote:Looks that way. NJ is next on the list to challenge their effective ban. MD, RI and MA should follow and then NYC and DC.

MD recently did challenge their ban (Woollard vs Sheridan/Maryland) and won in Federal District court, but that was overturned on appeals at the circuit court. The supreme court refused to hear that case even though the appeals court pretty much said they don't agree with the Heller decision and then completely ignored it. Also keep in mind that ruling by the circuit court of appeals are only applicable to the district they serve, so just because CA won, doesn't mean its binding on the East coast states, or any other state that isn't in the 9th district. This is where the supreme court needs to step in and fix the conflicts in decisions between the circuit courts.

EDIT

Also Drake vs Filko (New Jersey) and Kachalsky Vs Cacace (New York) were recent losses as well. But it does align with Moore vs Madigan (Illinois) thus creating a major circuit split.
Last edited by ffemtreed on Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ffemtreed on Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:28 am

Shyster wrote:The article also says “bullet,” but I believe microstamping applies to the cartridge case, not the bullet itself. Anything stamped anywhere but the tip of the bullet would be rendered illegible as the bullet passes down the barrel anyway. So the technology would tie a specific gun to a specific piece of brass, not a specific bullet. That provides even more options for avoidance. You could simply take a second and pick up your brass, or you could use a brass catcher, and of course revolvers don’t eject their brass at all. You could also obfuscate the matter by going to a shooting range and picking up other people’s spent brass. Sure, you might leave a traceable piece of spent brass at the scene of the crime, but it’s going to be mixed in with brass from 20 other guns.

come on now, you don't want a no knock SWAT raid on your house at 3:00am because some criminal picked up your brass at a range and threw it out at a crime scene??? Come one man, its for the children, only a slight inconvenience to you and your pets that will probably get shot during the raid for barking. :scared:
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR