Where are my Gun Owners?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Where are my Gun Owners? (CCW related)

Postby mac5155 on Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:49 am

Yeah, but in PA I am not allowed to hunt with a semi-automatic rifle. :(
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,661
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Where are my Gun Owners? (CCW related)

Postby ffemtreed on Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:22 pm

mac5155 wrote:Yeah, but in PA I am not allowed to hunt with a semi-automatic rifle. :(


I thought you could as long as you had a magazine that only held like 3 rounds or something like that.... Its been 10 years since i lived in Pa and never hunted so i could be way off base. (EdIT -- Just looked it up and I am way off base, no semi auto for hunting in PA, unless permanently modified for single shot) That really sucks for varmint hunting.

What is odd, is that Semi Auto shotguns are Ok for hunting in PA. Get yourself a Saiga 12.


On the other hand, they do make a nice .50bmg upper for the AR that is bolt action........ You could save money on the butcher shop :)
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,748
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:32 pm
Location: Wilmington, NC

Re: Where are my Gun Owners? (CCW related)

Postby Shyster on Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:19 pm

mac5155 wrote:I want something that I can use for both, interchangeably.

The .25s with lighter bullets work fine as varmint rifles. Supposedly the .25-06 is awesome as a varmint rifle, and with good 100+ grain bullets the .25s can even be used on deer. Plenty of people use the .243 Win. on deer, and that's less powerful than a .25-06 or .257 Roberts +P. I must admit, however, that the .25s would be more expensive to feed than the much-more-common .223 or .22-250. If I bought one I would plan to handload for it to save money.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,181
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Here and there

Re: Where are my Gun Owners? (CCW related)

Postby DelPen on Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:48 pm

Dilemma. Wife hates her Shield in 40. She has a compact 1911 but it has the GI sights. So should I just go and get her new sights installed or for a little bit more shop around for something else all together?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,662
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Where are my Gun Owners? (CCW related)

Postby Kaizer on Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:55 pm

let her shop around, i'd say. i dont know about your wife but with mine, good intentions always seem to go horribly wrong.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,375
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:02 am
Location: Crazy Town

Re: Where are my Gun Owners? (CCW related)

Postby Shyster on Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:00 pm

DelPen wrote:Dilemma. Wife hates her Shield in 40. She has a compact 1911 but it has the GI sights. So should I just go and get her new sights installed or for a little bit more shop around for something else all together?

I think she really needs to go shopping for herself and see what feels best in her hands. Guns are such a "your mileage may vary" thing that I would be very hesitant to shop for another person. If she really likes 1911s, there are plenty of options out there, or she might prefer something else entirely.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,181
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Here and there

Re: Where are my Gun Owners? (CCW related)

Postby ffemtreed on Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:17 am

DelPen wrote:Dilemma. Wife hates her Shield in 40. She has a compact 1911 but it has the GI sights. So should I just go and get her new sights installed or for a little bit more shop around for something else all together?


What doesn't she like about it?
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,748
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:32 pm
Location: Wilmington, NC

Re: Where are my Gun Owners? (CCW related)

Postby DelPen on Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:10 am

ffemtreed wrote:
DelPen wrote:Dilemma. Wife hates her Shield in 40. She has a compact 1911 but it has the GI sights. So should I just go and get her new sights installed or for a little bit more shop around for something else all together?


What doesn't she like about it?


Too snappy. The thing is not fun to shoot and get practice in which is inherent for any gun that light and small. I don't even like shooting it. A 9mm compact might help reduce recoil a little bit but the 1911 even with 45 has almost no recoil because it has a metal frame.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,662
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Where are my Gun Owners? (CCW related)

Postby Shyster on Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:25 pm

DelPen wrote:Too snappy. The thing is not fun to shoot and get practice in which is inherent for any gun that light and small. I don't even like shooting it. A 9mm compact might help reduce recoil a little bit but the 1911 even with 45 has almost no recoil because it has a metal frame.

How much is weight an issue? If she doesn't need something super light, then Kahr makes guns that size with metal frames. A metal-framed MK9 or MK40 weighs about four or five ounces more than a Shield. Or she could carry a small PM9 or CW9 but practice with its larger-brother P9 or CW9. All of the controls are in the exact same place.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,181
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Here and there

Re: Where are my Gun Owners? (CCW related)

Postby DelPen on Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:02 pm

Shyster wrote:
DelPen wrote:Too snappy. The thing is not fun to shoot and get practice in which is inherent for any gun that light and small. I don't even like shooting it. A 9mm compact might help reduce recoil a little bit but the 1911 even with 45 has almost no recoil because it has a metal frame.

How much is weight an issue? If she doesn't need something super light, then Kahr makes guns that size with metal frames. A metal-framed MK9 or MK40 weighs about four or five ounces more than a Shield. Or she could carry a small PM9 or CW9 but practice with its larger-brother P9 or CW9. All of the controls are in the exact same place.


Weight isn't too much of an issue. Looking at the Kahr's. We get absolutely insane instructor discounts, $410 for all their pistols and they will install night sights for only another $65.

I think she just wants a new gun though :D
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,662
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Where are my Gun Owners? (CCW related)

Postby Shyster on Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:49 pm

DelPen wrote:Weight isn't too much of an issue. Looking at the Kahr's. We get absolutely insane instructor discounts, $410 for all their pistols and they will install night sights for only another $65.

I think she just wants a new gun though :D

Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Heck, anyone who claims to be a gun owner and doesn't use the slightest, most specious reasons as justification for buying a new gun should be viewed with suspicion.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,181
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Here and there

Re: Where are my Gun Owners? (CCW related)

Postby ffemtreed on Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:01 am

DelPen wrote:
ffemtreed wrote:
DelPen wrote:Dilemma. Wife hates her Shield in 40. She has a compact 1911 but it has the GI sights. So should I just go and get her new sights installed or for a little bit more shop around for something else all together?


What doesn't she like about it?


Too snappy. The thing is not fun to shoot and get practice in which is inherent for any gun that light and small. I don't even like shooting it. A 9mm compact might help reduce recoil a little bit but the 1911 even with 45 has almost no recoil because it has a metal frame.



I have the shield in 9MM and its not snappy at all. If the shield fits her hand and is comfortable find someone who has a 9mm shield and let her try it. I would offer, but I am all the way in NC. On a side note, in my opinion all .40 is "flippy" and the reason why I hate that caliber. .45acp seems to push straight back instead of being snappy or twitchy.

for a carry gun I try and stick to the lightest guns that I am comfortable with because the more convenient the more I will carry it. I carry a shield (9mm) with a crossbread supertuck holster and I forget that I have that gun on me, it just disappears. I tried carrying heavier guns and I don't like the extra weight it puts on my belt. I also carry a Ruger LCP when an inside the waistband holster isn't practical. I have a desantis nemesis pocket holster that makes the gun very quick to grab and put into a pocket. Now this LCP is .380 and its very NOT fun to shoot. I put enough rounds through it to make sure its stable and I am comfortable shooting it. I put a magazine through it every time i goto to the range, but hardly ever put more than a mag because its just not fun to shoot. The moral here is, that a carry gun doesn't need to be fun to shoot, you just need to shoot it enough to be proficient and confident with it.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,748
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:32 pm
Location: Wilmington, NC

Re: Where are my Gun Owners? (CCW related)

Postby mac5155 on Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:23 am

My carry is a Taurus PT-740 with a N8^2 pro series holster. I love it. Forget it's even there after 5 minutes.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,661
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Where are my Gun Owners? (CCW related)

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:15 pm

ffemtreed wrote:On a side note, in my opinion all .40 is "flippy" and the reason why I hate that caliber. .45acp seems to push straight back instead of being snappy or twitchy.

That's been my - admittedly limited - experience as well. My father-in-law is a big proponent of .40 S&W, and carried them on duty for the last 7-8 years (he just retired this summer), but to me they just are not pleasant to shoot. And the worry is if they're unpleasant to shoot, you'll become more likely to find ways to lessen your range time.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,182
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: Where are my Gun Owners? (CCW related)

Postby Kaizer on Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:27 pm

a handle cover broke on my .380 dag nabbit
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,375
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:02 am
Location: Crazy Town

Re: Where are my Gun Owners? (CCW related)

Postby Factorial on Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:27 pm

Atomic Annie:




Where can I pick up one of these guns?
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 7,258
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Gleefully Ignorant

Re: Where are my Gun Owners? (CCW related)

Postby DelPen on Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:49 pm

Mexico courtesy of our DOJ
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,662
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Where are my Gun Owners? (CCW related)

Postby Shyster on Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:15 pm

The gun itself probably isn't so expensive. Heck, I bet they sold them for scrap when they were done with them. The cost of the ammo is the real killer.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,181
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Here and there

Re: Where are my Gun Owners? (CCW related)

Postby mac5155 on Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:03 pm

I thought this was pretty cool:

mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,661
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Where are my Gun Owners? (CCW related)

Postby Shyster on Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:38 pm

mac5155 wrote:I thought this was pretty cool:
Spoiler:

Those weren't tears at the end. That was just some of Mr. Gundy's surplus of awesome manliness spilling over.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,181
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Here and there

Re: Where are my Gun Owners? (CCW related)

Postby mac5155 on Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:57 pm

So i shot a Barrett .50 caliber rifle today.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,661
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Where are my Gun Owners? (CCW related)

Postby tifosi77 on Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:44 pm

Was it everthing you hoped it would be?

I'd love to send a few 50s downrange sometime.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,182
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: Where are my Gun Owners? (CCW related)

Postby Malkamaniac on Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:48 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
ffemtreed wrote:On a side note, in my opinion all .40 is "flippy" and the reason why I hate that caliber. .45acp seems to push straight back instead of being snappy or twitchy.

That's been my - admittedly limited - experience as well. My father-in-law is a big proponent of .40 S&W, and carried them on duty for the last 7-8 years (he just retired this summer), but to me they just are not pleasant to shoot. And the worry is if they're unpleasant to shoot, you'll become more likely to find ways to lessen your range time.


I love my p226 .40. Love shooting it on the range too lol
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,154
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:33 pm
Location: Who is Sims?

Re: Where are my Gun Owners? (CCW related)

Postby mac5155 on Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:48 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Was it everthing you hoped it would be?

I'd love to send a few 50s downrange sometime.

Insane yes. Only a single shot but still, bad freaking ass
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,661
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Where are my Gun Owners? (CCW related)

Postby mac5155 on Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:14 am

I have $600ish to spend on a rifle. I really want an AR but think it will be hard to get ammo. Any thoughts on availability of .223 in the Pittsburgh area?
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,661
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MalkinIsMyHomeboy, mikey287, NashvilleCat, skullman80, stopper40 and 10 guests


e-mail