Boardwalk Empire

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Boardwalk Empire

Postby the wicked child on Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:03 pm

Enjoyed the finale. :thumb:
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:13 pm

the wicked child wrote:Enjoyed the finale. :thumb:

Me too.

Spoiler:
Did not see the Jimmy thing coming.

And I hate Margret. I hope she is next on Nucky's list
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby the wicked child on Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:17 pm

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:
the wicked child wrote:Enjoyed the finale. :thumb:

Me too.

Spoiler:
Did not see the Jimmy thing coming.

And I hate Margret. I hope she is next on Nucky's list

Spoiler:
Agreed. He should have axed her long ago.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hockeynut! on Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:40 pm

The last 10 min were

Spoiler:
:shock:
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hockeynut! on Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:56 pm

To add... (major spoilers)

Spoiler:
Jimmy totally knew he was getting killed. He made sure his estate was going to his son. He gave his son his dog tags. He didn't take a gun to kill Horovitz. Poor Jimmy.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby the wicked child on Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:06 am

Hockeynut! wrote:To add... (major spoilers)

Spoiler:
Jimmy totally knew he was getting killed. He made sure his estate was going to his son. He gave his son his dog tags. He didn't take a gun to kill Horovitz. Poor Jimmy.

Spoiler:
You're right. Not sure why I didn't pick up on that.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hockeynut! on Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:10 am

the wicked child wrote:
Spoiler:
You're right. Not sure why I didn't pick up on that.

Spoiler:
I didn't pick up on it at all the first time through. It was only in retrospect that I thought about it and watching the last few scenes again made it very clear.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:19 am

Spoiler:
Any thoughts on why Nucky offed Jimmy? I can see in retrospect that Jimmy was preparing to die, but I'm not sure I understand why Nucky did it. Was it because he decided to take Eli's word that Jimmy was the driving force behind the attempted hit on Nucky? Or did he see Jimmy as a loose end who knew why Nucky beat the charges against him? Or did he just see Jimmy as a potential rival that he was never going to be able to completely trust or control (unlike Eli whom he thought he could control)?
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby the wicked child on Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:22 am

largegarlic wrote:
Spoiler:
Any thoughts on why Nucky offed Jimmy? I can see in retrospect that Jimmy was preparing to die, but I'm not sure I understand why Nucky did it. Was it because he decided to take Eli's word that Jimmy was the driving force behind the attempted hit on Nucky? Or did he see Jimmy as a loose end who knew why Nucky beat the charges against him? Or did he just see Jimmy as a potential rival that he was never going to be able to completely trust or control (unlike Eli whom he thought he could control)?

Spoiler:
One part revenge and one part knowing he couldn't trust Jimmy and that he would probably betray him again. The fact that he personally did the killing puts a lot of weight in the revenge angle, but it was some of both.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:04 am

Whoa... where is the show going to go for season 3?
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Trip McNeely on Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:36 am

My opinion of the finale:

Spoiler:
I think it was terrible directing to off Jimmy. This season spent episode after episode building a character, Jimmy, to a point where the viewer finally understood his background and who he was. Jimmy in Season 1 was just a random character with some supposed baggage that was never explained. Jimmy in Season 2 was the main character of the show, even moreso than Nucky I felt, and for the matter, more interesting. To end it with him getting killed, what happens next season? There was so much effort put into not only building up Jimmy, but the characters surrounding him. Now, what do you do with Richard Harrow? Does he take over Jimmy's position as Nucky's foil? Or does he got ape **** crazy and try to kill everyone associated with Nucky? The Commodore is dead already. What about Jimmy's mother? She became very intriguing, now what do you do with her? How does she remain a part of the plot?

By killing Jimmy, basically 5 characters have no part of the show or are dead(Jimmy, Jimmy's mother, Angela, Richard, and the Commodore). So next season, the first few episodes at least will be to build new characters or expand on current characters (Horvitz, Capone, Charlie, etc). Unless there is even more focus on Margaret, which in my opinion will be very frustrating. Hopefully the plot continues to be exciting, but I am very disappointed by the way it ended this season.
Trip McNeely
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:23 am

Trip McNeely wrote:My opinion of the finale:

Spoiler:
I think it was terrible directing to off Jimmy. This season spent episode after episode building a character, Jimmy, to a point where the viewer finally understood his background and who he was. Jimmy in Season 1 was just a random character with some supposed baggage that was never explained. Jimmy in Season 2 was the main character of the show, even moreso than Nucky I felt, and for the matter, more interesting. To end it with him getting killed, what happens next season? There was so much effort put into not only building up Jimmy, but the characters surrounding him. Now, what do you do with Richard Harrow? Does he take over Jimmy's position as Nucky's foil? Or does he got ape **** crazy and try to kill everyone associated with Nucky? The Commodore is dead already. What about Jimmy's mother? She became very intriguing, now what do you do with her? How does she remain a part of the plot?

By killing Jimmy, basically 5 characters have no part of the show or are dead(Jimmy, Jimmy's mother, Angela, Richard, and the Commodore). So next season, the first few episodes at least will be to build new characters or expand on current characters (Horvitz, Capone, Charlie, etc). Unless there is even more focus on Margaret, which in my opinion will be very frustrating. Hopefully the plot continues to be exciting, but I am very disappointed by the way it ended this season.

Spoiler:
I kind of share this view. I didn't really like Jimmy as a character until about half way through this season when more of his background and intentions got to be revealed. By the end, he really came off as a tragic figure (all the Oedipal stuff should have been a clue, but I didn't pick up on it) who had to die to complete his character arc. Realistically, there wouldn't have been any way that he could have reconciled with Nucky, and it was clear that he couldn't handle being THE MAN, so this was the only way it could end for him.

That being said, it does seem to leave the show short on plot lines for next season. As you mention, there are plenty of good background characters that could become more central, but it's not obvious that any of these plot lines would be as compelling as Jimmy's. I agree that if the main focus is Nucky's and Margaret's relationship, that wouldn't be very interesting.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Trip McNeely on Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:30 am

largegarlic wrote:
Trip McNeely wrote:My opinion of the finale:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I kind of share this view. I didn't really like Jimmy as a character until about half way through this season when more of his background and intentions got to be revealed. By the end, he really came off as a tragic figure (all the Oedipal stuff should have been a clue, but I didn't pick up on it) who had to die to complete his character arc. Realistically, there wouldn't have been any way that he could have reconciled with Nucky, and it was clear that he couldn't handle being THE MAN, so this was the only way it could end for him.

That being said, it does seem to leave the show short on plot lines for next season. As you mention, there are plenty of good background characters that could become more central, but it's not obvious that any of these plot lines would be as compelling as Jimmy's. I agree that if the main focus is Nucky's and Margaret's relationship, that wouldn't be very interesting.

Spoiler:
A random thing that bothers me about Nucky, and was very apparent during the Jimmy scene is the whole "If you didn't think I would do this, you don't know me well enough." He also used it with Margaret a few times. Its like, ok, we know you are willing to do whatever you need to get ahead, just quit saying it.
Trip McNeely
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:33 am

Any chance they speed things up and make Jimmy's son more involved?
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hockeynut! on Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:32 pm

Spoiler:
I've heard rumors that Michael Pitt either wanted off the show or that he wasn't meshing well with the producers and they wanted him off. Not sure if that's true or not, but that would explain why the co-lead of he series was whacked in Season Two.

I'll definitely miss Jimmy. I do think it opens up other avenues for Nucky though. He's gone from a "manager" type to a real "Boss".
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Stoosh on Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:22 pm

Some thoughts on last night's finale and where this goes from here...

Spoiler:
1. I wasn't totally surprised to see Jimmy get whacked. Between losing Angela in one episode and then killing his father in the next, it seemed like he was quickly losing everything that helped tie him to the story. Didn't completely believe it was happening until after he took the phone call from Nucky, when they allowed the camera to linger on him watching Tommy. When it was revealed that he was at the meeting unarmed, game over.

2. I do hate what this potentially does to the future of Richard Harrow. To me, Harrow is one of the more compelling characters in the series. Reminds me a little of Val Kilmer's portrayal of Doc Holliday in Tombstone, for some reason. I can't imagine him sticking around with Gillian, as there's really nothing there (unless he, Gillian and Tommy become some skewed version of the family he daydreamed of having). And we have no idea how Gillian is going to react to Jimmy's death.

3. I began to wonder a couple of episodes ago if the creepy priest would take a bigger role, and Margaret transferring the land deed of the highway to the church will likely move that along. Can't wait to see where this goes when Nucky finds out.

4. Saw this last night and didn't immediately make the connection. Val Alden (on the run) landed in Cicero, Illinois, which is where Al Capone eventually settles in. Assuming Van Alden remains in the story, there's still an obvious connection back to Atlantic City there.

5. I'm guessing Season Three becomes mostly about Nucky working to re-establish his footprint in Atlantic City. He stepped away and created a mess on his way out for the people who took over by leaving the door open for the workers' strike. The new leadership is broken as Jimmy and the Commodore are both dead. Neary is dead. Eli is back in service with Nucky.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:33 pm

Spoiler:
I knew Jimmy was a dead man, or at least heading into a trap, once he got the phone call from Nucky. Why would Horovitz, hiding in a synagogue basement in Philly, go to AC for a meeting? Bushwack city. I never figure stuff out like this, either (still stunned about Rita on Dexter). I was just getting to know the character, and they off him. Richard Harrow is one of the most compelling characters on TV right now, and I hope he finds a place in the series...somewhere.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:57 pm

I'm with Trip.

Spoiler:
I feel like a lot of time was wasted developing a character that was to be offed.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:58 pm

Spoiler:
Hockeynut! wrote:[spoiler]I've heard rumors that Michael Pitt either wanted off the show or that he wasn't meshing well with the producers and they wanted him off. Not sure if that's true or not, but that would explain why the co-lead of he series was whacked in Season Two.

I'll definitely miss Jimmy. I do think it opens up other avenues for Nucky though. He's gone from a "manager" type to a real "Boss".

Spoiler:
It's pretty basic story telling, to be honest. Think about The Sopranos and Tony killing Big ****; you frame the hero (or, rather, villain) in a way that isolates them, it makes it easier to give that character an arc. Nucky is back in power, sure... but he's on an island.

Season 3 will be interesting.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby juicebox1 on Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:03 pm

Spoiler:
as pissed as i was about Jimmy's murder, it was the only progression for the show to lend itself to true historical events. i'm not well versed in the mob scene in the '20s, but season 3 will clearly feature Nucky's old school team vs the hungry up-and-comers. Jimmy's death allows for Capone and Luciano to get more involved.

that said, the show lost it's most intriguing character from the start. i can't say i have lofty expectations for season 3.

:shock:
juicebox1
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby mac5155 on Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:17 am

When does Season 3 start?
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:38 am

Spoiler:
just finally got caught up. and I am not happy.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:02 am

mac5155 wrote:When does Season 3 start?

I would assume next September, unless they pull a Sopranos/Mad Men delay of some sort.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby the wicked child on Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:44 pm

Was feeling it was just a decent episode, kinda setting the stage for the season...
Spoiler:
and then Harrow appears out of nowhere and kills Manny. Wondering if it was solely revenge for Angela or if there was some other motive...
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:49 pm

the wicked child wrote:Was feeling it was just a decent episode, kinda setting the stage for the season...
Spoiler:
and then Harrow appears out of nowhere and kills Manny. Wondering if it was solely revenge for Angela or if there was some other motive...

I think you're right.

Also jillian is bat**** crazy
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR