Boardwalk Empire

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Boardwalk Empire

Postby the wicked child on Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:52 pm

mac5155 wrote:Also jillian is bat**** crazy

Not like that's anything new though... very creepy woman.
Last edited by the wicked child on Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,032
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:11 pm
Location: :scared:

Re: Boardwalk Empire

Postby mac5155 on Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:52 pm

Additionally what's up with Van Aldens character?
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 48,149
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Boardwalk Empire

Postby the wicked child on Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:54 pm

mac5155 wrote:Additionally what's up with Van Aldens character?

Spoiler:
I guess he needed a new job since he ran from the murder charge in AC. He's another bizarre/creepy character... You know he will somehow get dragged back into things though... presumably in Chicago.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,032
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:11 pm
Location: :scared:

Re: Boardwalk Empire

Postby Stoosh on Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:07 am

the wicked child wrote:
mac5155 wrote:Additionally what's up with Van Aldens character?

Spoiler:
I guess he needed a new job since he ran from the murder charge in AC. He's another bizarre/creepy character... You know he will somehow get dragged back into things though... presumably in Chicago.


Spoiler:
Disappeared to Cicero, IL to beat the murder charge for killing Sebso.

If you're familiar with mob history, Cicero eventually became Al Capone's base of operations and as we've seen, Van Alden and Capone have already "met"...they just don't know it yet (the altercation in O'Bannion's floral shop). My guess is that Van Alden eventually falls into work with O'Bannion at first. He's already disenchanted with the salesman's job given that he perceives he got screwed over in the sales contest. There's the building war between O'Bannion and Capone/Torrio which will likely escalate at some point during this season. It could also be interesting if he eventually finds his way in with Capone's crew, especially if he discovers Capone's old alliance with Jimmy Darmody, which would eventually tie Van Alden back to Atlantic City.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,483
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:19 am
Location: Aliquippa, PA

Re: Boardwalk Empire

Postby Stoosh on Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:12 am

the wicked child wrote:Was feeling it was just a decent episode, kinda setting the stage for the season...
Spoiler:
and then Harrow appears out of nowhere and kills Manny. Wondering if it was solely revenge for Angela or if there was some other motive...


Spoiler:
Guessing it was mostly revenge. The preview show that HBO was running yesterday mentioned that Season 3 picks up about 18 months after Season 2 ended. Harrow was still very much affected by Angela's murder.

I do wonder, though, if Nucky may have gotten to Harrow and had Horowitz killed. If you remember, Horowitz mentioned something to Nucky about wanting his own still as consideration for doing the job in Willow Grove. Nucky was already moving forward with the plan to consolidate all of his liquor purchases with one buyer. Horowitz had devolved into little more than a hitman for Nucky, but I wonder if Nucky could've seen Horowitz as at least an annoyance looking to infringe on his own operation if he got his own still. Nucky already had enough on his hands trying to make sure Doyle was doing his job; the last thing he needed was another side operation to have to watch.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,483
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:19 am
Location: Aliquippa, PA

Re: Boardwalk Empire

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:38 am

Stoosh wrote:
the wicked child wrote:Was feeling it was just a decent episode, kinda setting the stage for the season...
Spoiler:
and then Harrow appears out of nowhere and kills Manny. Wondering if it was solely revenge for Angela or if there was some other motive...


Spoiler:
Guessing it was mostly revenge. The preview show that HBO was running yesterday mentioned that Season 3 picks up about 18 months after Season 2 ended. Harrow was still very much affected by Angela's murder.

I do wonder, though, if Nucky may have gotten to Harrow and had Horowitz killed. If you remember, Horowitz mentioned something to Nucky about wanting his own still as consideration for doing the job in Willow Grove. Nucky was already moving forward with the plan to consolidate all of his liquor purchases with one buyer. Horowitz had devolved into little more than a hitman for Nucky, but I wonder if Nucky could've seen Horowitz as at least an annoyance looking to infringe on his own operation if he got his own still. Nucky already had enough on his hands trying to make sure Doyle was doing his job; the last thing he needed was another side operation to have to watch.


Spoiler:
Interesting theory Stoosh. I can definitely see Nucky offing Manny to help streamline things. On top of that, I want to say that I read somewhere / saw a preview that mentioned Harrow ends up working for Nucky, and the hit on Manny may very well be the beginning of that.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,611
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:53 am

Re: Boardwalk Empire

Postby mac5155 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:29 pm

Spoiler:
Does Harrow know that Nucky killed Darmody? Presumably he knows Manny killed Angela and it seemed he developed a liking for Angela. But I could see Horrow taking out Nucky if he figures out that Nucky killed him. It seemed they were setting up big things with regards to Harrow seeking vengeance for Jimmy and Angela's son.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 48,149
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Boardwalk Empire

Postby the wicked child on Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:41 pm

Fairly meh episode, IMO.
Spoiler:
Highlight was more of the naked hot chick. Otherwise, just a reminder of how much I dislike Margaret.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,032
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:11 pm
Location: :scared:

Re: Boardwalk Empire

Postby Stoosh on Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:44 pm

Thoughts on Episode 2, dudes...

Spoiler:
1. Along with what Wicked Child said, seemed like a classic "second episode of the season" episode. After last week's season premiere, this one took a decided step back and let some storylines settle in, all while setting the stage for what looks to be some very good turns as the season goes on.

2. "Let me ask you something, Mickey. How the f*** are you still alive?" One of the best lines of the series.

3. Love what Rosetti brings to the table in this series. I can't quite figure out of he's really that dumb and gets by on some mix of charm/intimidation, or if it's all an act to keep people at arm's length until he gets a better read on what he's dealing with. After the premier, I would've said more the former, but after seeing how he played Nucky by buying out the access to the fuel station via the sheriff, maybe it's the latter. Or maybe he's just the right kind of "smart" to have moved that high up the chain.

Either way, his unpredictable temper elevates the tension in every scene he's in. I kept waiting for him to start beating the gas station attendant half to death, or shoot up the diner after the waitress said they didn't have wine.

4. Nucky's ability (or lack thereof) to control his feelings over Billie Kent is going to make for a good plot line. It cost him when Owen tried to notify Nucky of the filling station standoff (life long before cell phones). It was already fairly apparent that Rothstein has some sort of history with her beyond him just being her landlord, and he doesn't hesitate to rub Nucky's face in that either.

5. The razor scene threw me a bit, too. Nucky's first wife killed herself after their child died (she slashed her wrists with Nucky's razor), so I think there was some symbolism there. Nucky reminding himself not to get too close to Billie? Maybe lamenting the fact that he knows he can't have the life he wants with Billie? Not sure.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,483
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:19 am
Location: Aliquippa, PA

Re: Boardwalk Empire

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:06 pm

Stoosh wrote:Thoughts on Episode 2, dudes...

Spoiler:
1. Along with what Wicked Child said, seemed like a classic "second episode of the season" episode. After last week's season premiere, this one took a decided step back and let some storylines settle in, all while setting the stage for what looks to be some very good turns as the season goes on.

2. "Let me ask you something, Mickey. How the f*** are you still alive?" One of the best lines of the series.

3. Love what Rosetti brings to the table in this series. I can't quite figure out of he's really that dumb and gets by on some mix of charm/intimidation, or if it's all an act to keep people at arm's length until he gets a better read on what he's dealing with. After the premier, I would've said more the former, but after seeing how he played Nucky by buying out the access to the fuel station via the sheriff, maybe it's the latter. Or maybe he's just the right kind of "smart" to have moved that high up the chain.

Either way, his unpredictable temper elevates the tension in every scene he's in. I kept waiting for him to start beating the gas station attendant half to death, or shoot up the diner after the waitress said they didn't have wine.

4. Nucky's ability (or lack thereof) to control his feelings over Billie Kent is going to make for a good plot line. It cost him when Owen tried to notify Nucky of the filling station standoff (life long before cell phones). It was already fairly apparent that Rothstein has some sort of history with her beyond him just being her landlord, and he doesn't hesitate to rub Nucky's face in that either.

5. The razor scene threw me a bit, too. Nucky's first wife killed herself after their child died (she slashed her wrists with Nucky's razor), so I think there was some symbolism there. Nucky reminding himself not to get too close to Billie? Maybe lamenting the fact that he knows he can't have the life he wants with Billie? Not sure.


Spoiler:
I think the writers have done a great job with the Rosetti character. They made him a lose cannon off the bat, so that expectation is always there in the viewers mind of when is he going to flip next. It really makes each one of his scenes intense.

In terms of the razor, I can see that being a point of symbolism. Remember, this shows producers / writers have big Sopranos connections, and you know how much that show loved making things symbolic. The synopsis on HBO said this about the razor scene...

Nucky carries on his tryst with Billie Kent in her New York City apartment. His bliss is short-lived, however, once Billie takes a flirtatious phone call in his presence. His jealousy grows when he finds unfamiliar beard trimmings in a safety razor in her bathroom cabinet.


Glad to see Chalky back in the picture. I was surprised to see that Dunn Pernsley is now working for him (after all, Chalky had him beaten pretty bad while in prison).

I am interested to see the dynamic between Eli and Nucky this season. It wasnt too long ago that they wanted each other dead. You could also tell that Eli wasnt pleased that not only did Nucky send Doyle to pick him up from jail, but that he is working for him now.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,611
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:53 am

Re: Boardwalk Empire

Postby the wicked child on Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:48 pm

Spoiler:
Rosetti is setting up as an awesome villain for Nucky. As mentioned, his unstable nature leaves you such that you have no idea when he is going to go off.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,032
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:11 pm
Location: :scared:

Re: Boardwalk Empire

Postby mac5155 on Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:21 pm

Just watched episode 2 finally. I concur with all your thoughts. It's setting up to be pretty good season, I just hope next episode has more action.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 48,149
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Boardwalk Empire

Postby mac5155 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:29 am

Now that i'm on my PC I'll type more

Spoiler:
Nucky and Rothstein are going to have beef at some point. Rothstein was getting on his case for being atBillie's place. Then, he suspects that Rothstein went above Nucky and had Manny killed. Now Rosetti is screwing Rothstein over by blocking his shipments and I can see Rothstein thinking that Nucky isn't being as exclusive as Rothstein hopes.

Margaret is getting annoying. One minute she has a conscience, the next she's being a total whiny *****.

Mickey Doyle is my favorite character on the show currently. I loved the opening scene with him and Eli. Pure gold.

The Spaghetti scene had me almost in tears. Then, he goes "hmm. just like mama's".

LOLOL at Melvin from Office Space being in Boardwalk Empire also.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 48,149
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Boardwalk Empire

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:58 am

mac5155 wrote:Now that i'm on my PC I'll type more

Spoiler:
LOLOL at Melvin from Office Space being in Boardwalk Empire also.


Spoiler:
Stephen Root FTW. He's great on Justified, too.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,349
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:21 pm
Location: Roger Roger.

Re: Boardwalk Empire

Postby tluke53 on Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:59 pm

I don't have anything super to add other than I love this show. Rosetti is such an intense character. I expect him to lose his mind nearly every scene he is in. That said Chalky is my favorite character. His mannerisms, his personality, and overal character as so well done in my opinion. The only problem this should runs into is that it has to many interesting characters. I watch True Blood and they just have to many characters. Boardwalk's characters are almost all interesting.
tluke53
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,590
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:50 pm
Location: All over the place

Re: Boardwalk Empire

Postby meecrofilm on Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:45 pm

I'm a big Bobby Cannavale fan. He's good in everything I've seen him in. Was very excited to hear he was joining the cast and so far he hasn't disappointed. I wonder why he isn't in more high-profile movie roles, though I know he does a lot of stage work in NYC.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,624
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:09 pm
Location: Filly don't do rebounds.

Re: Boardwalk Empire

Postby the wicked child on Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:04 pm

Spoiler:
...and there's the Rosetti we've been expecting.
Things are going to get interesting. Rothstein wants his shipment, Rosetti isn't going to let Nucky through... so something has to give.
Cannot stand Margaret. HATE her, in fact. I cringe every time she's on the screen.
Nucky's near obsession w Billie is going to lead to some fireworks (besides in the bedroom)
Wondering where the van Alden story line is heading...
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,032
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:11 pm
Location: :scared:

Re: Boardwalk Empire

Postby mac5155 on Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:16 am

meecrofilm wrote:I'm a big Bobby Cannavale fan. He's good in everything I've seen him in. Was very excited to hear he was joining the cast and so far he hasn't disappointed. I wonder why he isn't in more high-profile movie roles, though I know he does a lot of stage work in NYC.


I knew I had saw him in a movie recently, and it turns out it was Paul Blart Mall Cop. He's the SWAT commander guy. Not that that movie is high profile, though.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 48,149
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Boardwalk Empire

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:33 am

I didn't even realize this had started up. F.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,914
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: Boardwalk Empire

Postby mac5155 on Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:50 am

You can use HBOgo to catch up. Or the pirate bay. whichever you prefer (you haven't missed a whole lot the first 2 episodes. I haven't watched last night's yet)
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 48,149
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Boardwalk Empire

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:30 am

My buddy has HBO and I have a willingness to pirate anything. I'm fine as far as that goes. I just don't like catching up on shows that have hour long episodes haha.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,914
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: Boardwalk Empire

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:59 am

the wicked child wrote:
Spoiler:
...and there's the Rosetti we've been expecting.
Things are going to get interesting. Rothstein wants his shipment, Rosetti isn't going to let Nucky through... so something has to give.
Cannot stand Margaret. HATE her, in fact. I cringe every time she's on the screen.
Nucky's near obsession w Billie is going to lead to some fireworks (besides in the bedroom)
Wondering where the van Alden story line is heading...


Spoiler:
I agree about Margaret. Absolutely hate her. When the series started, she was someone you felt bad for / empathized with. Hopefully the writers realize this and they get rid of her character to open up some new story lines for Nucky. If we are lucky, she will be the sacrificial lamb.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,611
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:53 am

Re: Boardwalk Empire

Postby Stoosh on Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:00 pm

Some thoughts...

Spoiler:
1. So Rosetti obviously isn't as dumb as originally thought, at least not given the way the conversations went with Nucky at the diner and then later at Babette's.

But wow, I'd love to know what else happened to him in his past beyond having to grow in a cave in Sicily that caused such an almost-ridiculously short fuse. To see Nucky's absence from the liquor shipment sendoff and then Slater's butchering (Perhaps intentional? Perhaps instructed by Nucky?) of the "Buon Fortuna" message send Rosetti into such a spitting-mad rage was amusing, but it also made me wonder if maybe the writers should dial Rosetti back a little before he becomes too much of a "mob story" caricature.

2. I guess here's where I'm coming from. Rosetti obviously rose up through the ranks through some combination of charm, intimidation and sheer recklessness - mostly of the latter two. That may work as far as getting him to power in Tabor Heights. But now he's dealing with guys - particularly Nucky and Rothstein - who are much smarter, cooler and collected under fire. In addition, those guys also are better connected with more resources, and they're experts at making those resources work for them.

Unless there's something we don't know about what other people Rosetti may have backing him up, he's situated himself right smack in the middle of Nucky and Rothstein - both geographically and within the confines of their liquor deal. His leverage, of course, is control of the last fuel station between Atlantic City and NYC, which is real leverage that will last at least as long as it takes for the freeway to be built (per the gas station attendant). It's a good position, but nothing that Nucky and/or Rothstein couldn't make disappear very quickly if Rosetti continues to be nothing more than a loud-mouthed nuisance.

Rosetti could very quickly find himself surrounded.

3. Case in point...would anyone be surprised if Eli eventually finds his way into that now-vacated Sheriff's position in Tabor Heights as a way to keep tabs on Rosetti?

4. Thought for sure that Doyle was going to buy it. I don't think they'd kill him off because 1) he's terrific comedy and 2) he knows his role, but I thought for sure he was done. At least that led to...

5. One of the best exchanges of the series so far - that being the exchange between Richard and Nucky about both Horowitz and Jimmy. Harrow not only likely avoided Nucky's wrath by coming clean about Horowitz and exposing Doyle as even more of a fraud, but he also eased Nucky's guilt over Jimmy. Wouldn't be surprised at all if Nucky begins to enlist Harrow's services.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,483
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:19 am
Location: Aliquippa, PA

Re: Boardwalk Empire

Postby mac5155 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:24 pm

Just watched last week's episode. Starting to get real good this season.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 48,149
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Boardwalk Empire

Postby mac5155 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:42 pm

Spoiler:
does harrow know nucky offed jimmy? He sort of hinted at it with the "you know that feeling" or whatever comment. Or I guess, does he care.

When lucky is talking to jillian about remodeling her "house" he says something like "my names not on the deed, jimmys is." she says "he'll sign that over when he gets back". Did I miss something there?
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 48,149
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


e-mail