Boardwalk Empire

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Boardwalk Empire

Postby llipgh2 on Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:58 pm

2 things from tonight's (9/26):

Spoiler:
Jimmy's mom - WTF???? and what did Nelson wrap around his hand and snort?

Edit
Spoiler:
It was Mrs. Schroeder's missing hair ribbon. He wrapped it tightly around his hand and started sniffing it. This guy is a freak.
Last edited by llipgh2 on Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby relantel on Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:39 pm

Finally watched the pilot over the weekend, and set the DVR going forward. Just in time to be behind now. (i.e. thanks for the spoiler tags...)

General thoughts (no spoilers) based on the pilot:

Buscemi has usually been cast with a sort of comic-relief role in dramas, think Con Air for example. It seems strange in a way to see him as a lead, but at least so far, he seems to pull it off.

Noticed the pilot was 75mins in length, while last night's was only 60. Guess they needed the extra setup time. (For comparison, I think all of the John Adams episodes were 75mins - try watching one of those with kids distracting you.. we still have 2 episodes to go, and that aired over 2 years ago. Same thing with The Pacific, 3 of those to go yet)
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Broadwalk Empire

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:10 am

Overall, I thought it was great. There were a couple points that I didn't quite understand from a story execution perspective, and I thought the theme music was positively horrendous. But the few down spots were more than made for by what followed.

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:What it the show led you to believe that Chicago was behind the killing of that guy in his restaurant at the end?[/spoiler]

There was enough in the exposition of the show to clue you in, but also in situations like this the Googles are your greatest ally.

Spoiler:
No one was ever arrested for Big Jim "I-don't-get-clam-jokes" Colosimo's murder. It was suspected that Frankie Yale from New York was the trigger man (which is how they depicted the murder in the first episode of BE), but Al Capone was also considered a suspect in the murder.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby llipgh2 on Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:57 pm

Tonight's episode is great. 3 things:

Spoiler:
    Chalky White is going to be a force to be reckoned with
    The dentist office scene is horrific and hilarious at the same time
    Someone needs to punch Nucky's ho in the face.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:00 pm

llipgh2 wrote:Tonight's episode is great. 3 things:

Spoiler:
    Chalky White is going to be a force to be reckoned with
    The dentist office scene is horrific and hilarious at the same time

Yes, Yes, and Yes

I absolutely freaking love this show.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hockeynut! on Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:22 pm

That was a great episode. I'm definitely hooked now.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby canaan on Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:47 am

llipgh2 wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
it looks like someone already has
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:13 am

I still have a hard time seeing this as a full blown series as opposed to a mini.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:56 am

the first episode was the best. episode 2 went a little stale, but things seem to be picking up.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:52 am

shmenguin wrote:the first episode was the best. episode 2 went a little stale, but things seem to be picking up.

Well Scorsese only directed the first one.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:48 pm

llipgh2 wrote:2 things from tonight's (9/26):

Spoiler:
Jimmy's mom - WTF???? and what did Nelson wrap around his hand and snort?

Edit
Spoiler:
It was Mrs. Schroeder's missing hair ribbon. He wrapped it tightly around his hand and started sniffing it. This guy is a freak.

The deal in the first spoiler, frankly, had my wife and I going "W----T-----F?!?!?!?!"
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Psychlone on Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:24 pm

Loved the dressing room scene this week, for a second there I thought thast scene was going in an entirely different direction, lol.
Psychlone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:13 pm

Psychlone wrote:Loved the dressing room scene this week, for a second there I thought thast scene was going in an entirely different direction, lol.

I wish it had...

Spoiler:
Anyway this show is so good. I can't wait for Capone and Jimmy to team up and start mowing dudes down
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:11 pm

Psychlone wrote:Loved the dressing room scene this week, for a second there I thought thast scene was going in an entirely different direction, lol.

So I'm curious..... does the character of Nucky's girlfriend serve any role other than 'boobies'?

Not that I'm complaining or anything. It's just that she's 3-for-3 so far on the episodes-to-bare breasts stakes, and hasn't really done anything to move the story forward.

Watch, she'll probably end up being a linchpin in Nucky's (inevitable) downfall.....!
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby llipgh2 on Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:01 pm

tifosi77 wrote:

So I'm curious..... does the character of Nucky's girlfriend serve any role other than 'boobies'?

Not that I'm complaining or anything. It's just that she's 3-for-3 so far on the episodes-to-bare breasts stakes, and hasn't really done anything to move the story forward.

Watch, she'll probably end up being a linchpin in Nucky's (inevitable) downfall.....!

Spoiler:
It's obvious she is jealous of Mrs. Shroeder and her relationship with Nucky. I think there will be a plot line with a love triangle in the future.

But so far, she's just been the stupid naked g/f.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Draftnik on Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:24 am

llipgh2 wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:

Spoiler:
It's obvious she is jealous of Mrs. Shroeder and her relationship with Nucky. I think there will be a plot line with a love triangle in the future.

But so far, she's just been the stupid naked g/f.

I think the writers made her look rather perceptive in the last episode. She picked up on the Nuckster's obvious paternal yearning with her offer to breed his child. She also was positioned at the dress shop in an obvious attempt to intimidate the Irish woman with her physical assets.

When she offered to breed a child and the Nuckster cringed at the thought of his baby mama being a moron, its obvious she will get her walking papers sooner rather than later.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:09 am

what was with the footprints at the end
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Stoosh on Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:27 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:what was with the footprints at the end

My guess was a little bit of symbolic imagery, given what had just gone down with Chalky and Nucky's efforts to keep anything from tying back to him.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby llipgh2 on Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:29 pm

Draftnik wrote:
I think the writers made her look rather perceptive in the last episode. She picked up on the Nuckster's obvious paternal yearning with her offer to breed his child. She also was positioned at the dress shop in an obvious attempt to intimidate the Irish woman with her physical assets.

When she offered to breed a child and the Nuckster cringed at the thought of his baby mama being a moron, its obvious she will get her walking papers sooner rather than later.

Spoiler:
I took the nude scene to emphasis the difference between the two - on many levels. Nucky's g/f represented the free spirited, less socially rigid woman. She seems stupid, but she knows what is going on. The "charity case" comment is an example. Although I think she misunderstood Nucky wanting to help the premature baby charity. I explain my take in a later paragraph.

By comparision, when Mrs. Shroeder changed into the shopkeep's dress, her undergarments were modest. She also is a member of the Temperance League. Yet bright, and self schooled. Beautiful, modest, and intellectually challenging.

And she bears a striking resemblance to Nucky's late wife. Who I think died in childbirth. Or died after giving birth to a premature baby. Who also died. Hence Nucky's fascination with the premie charity on the Boardwalk.

It's obvious Nucky is attracted to Mrs. Shroeder, but it goes beyond just wanting children.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:04 pm

Stoosh wrote:
Letang Is The Truth wrote:what was with the footprints at the end

My guess was a little bit of symbolic imagery, given what had just gone down with Chalky and Nucky's efforts to keep anything from tying back to him.

I've read a couple blogs/articles about the show. One suggestion was that it was an indication of Nucky's ability to mar something pristine wherever he goes. I personally think it's more about not being able to escape your tracks (similar to Stoosh's comment).
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby the wicked child on Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:34 pm

Chalky White :thumb:

That is all.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:19 pm

the wicked child wrote:Chalky White :thumb:

That is all.

Chalky is a bad mother...
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:14 pm

"Well.... we ain't buildin' no bookcases."
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby the wicked child on Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:21 pm

Dude was awesome as Omar in The Wire, so not surprised that he's awesome as Chalky as well.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:11 pm

tifosi77 wrote:"Well.... we ain't buildin' no bookcases."

:thumb: what an awesome scene.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR