Boardwalk Empire

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Boardwalk Empire

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:57 am

Holy crap the fake teeth on the young Nucky are distracting.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:25 pm

It's a shame that the final season is only 8 episodes, as there is too much to tie up, especially when they are wasting time on young Nucky and Gillian (like others have stated).

I did like this past week, and I think it sets up the final 3 episodes to be great.

An interesting thing that someone pointed out was that the kid that helped Nucky put his jacket on this last episode, his name was Tommy (can't remember the last name). Nucky looked at him kinda funny, and someone pointed out that it is probably Tommy Darmody (Jimmy's son) who was using a different last night so Nucky wouldnt figure out who he was.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hockeynut! on Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:11 pm

Damn, that sucked. Two characters I still liked. I can't believe there are only 2 episodes left. Looks like it should be a great finale, just wish they'd done more to kick off the season.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:36 am

Bummed by the losses last night. Only two episodes left, also bums me out. There better be a decent payoff with these flashback stories.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby the wicked child on Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:17 pm

Finally caught up. I personally don't mind the flashbacks on their own... seeing where Nucky came from is interesting. The problem for me rather is that they take time away from the main story, when they only had 8 episodes to begin with. The last couple episodes should be good, but I have a feeling that at the end of the day we'll find ourselves wishing they had those "extra" 4 episodes to flesh things out.

Losing an entire episode to Nucky's grieving may be understandable given his likely mental state... but when it happens in episode 6 of 8... kinda sucks.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:36 pm

Also, while losing Chalky is kind of sad, as far as I am concerned we lost him last season because he was pretty much a waste this season, IMO.
Last edited by the wicked child on Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:02 pm

Hmm... doesn't really feel like this episode set things up for a great finale. They pretty much neutered Nucky in this episode... not really sure where he goes from here. "Rescuing" Gillian? Wgaf?

I dunno. We'll see but eh... I have my doubts atm.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:22 pm

Doyle, anybody but Doyle.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hockeynut! on Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:55 pm

Yeah, very underwhelming episode. Low expectations for the finale. This entire season has been a waste, imo. Unless next ep blows me away, I really, really wish they'd have ended it after last season.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:03 am

Yeah, kind of a bizarre episode. Don't like where it's going.

The actress playing young Gillian has Gretchen Mol's cadence and speech down really well, as do all of the younger versions of the older characters. Quite unnerving.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby canaan on Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:53 am

I imagine its going to lamely show that Nucky has a better "heart" than the Commodore and make sure the young kid doesnt get caught up in the lifestyle. Theres nothing that can be done to rehabilitate nucky's character after he pretty much bent at the knee. it undermines any sense of Nucky doing what is right because it can be made shallow by the obvious "he doesnt have anything left except the chance to redeem" blech.

just poor writing.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:55 am

Based on the previews for next week, I am guessing that Lucky is talking about Narcisse and not Nucky. Figure that we will take out Narcisse to get all the heroine trade in NY.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Trip McNeely on Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:12 pm

A couple thoughts: I really wish the whole Narcisse thing never happened last season. They didnt need to add another antagonist because there were so many others that were more intriguing. The Capone stuff could have been part of last season along with the Lucky/Lansky power moves. That is more entertaining than all the forced Narcisse stuff. I mean, he could have been brought in, but it shouldnt have been the main plotline. Thats when Boardwalk started to lose its luster for me.

In regards to the kid that Nucky is protecting, here is my hypothesis of what is going to happen with him (and I put it in a spoiler it in case people dont want to read it)

Spoiler:
The kid is Jimmy's kid. He said at one point he was from Minnesota, which is where I think Julia went post Harrow death. It also fits the timeline of how old he probably is now (14-16 years old?). He seems to act like Jimmy did; soft spoken, almost dumbfounded half of the time. Now, I think it could go either way if it is him. He may kill Nucky "A Bronx Tale" revenge style, or Nucky could save him somehow from all his guilt for whacking Jimmy years back.
Trip McNeely
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Trip McNeely on Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:01 pm

Trip McNeely wrote:A couple thoughts: I really wish the whole Narcisse thing never happened last season. They didnt need to add another antagonist because there were so many others that were more intriguing. The Capone stuff could have been part of last season along with the Lucky/Lansky power moves. That is more entertaining than all the forced Narcisse stuff. I mean, he could have been brought in, but it shouldnt have been the main plotline. Thats when Boardwalk started to lose its luster for me.

In regards to the kid that Nucky is protecting, here is my hypothesis of what is going to happen with him (and I put it in a spoiler it in case people dont want to read it)

Spoiler:
The kid is Jimmy's kid. He said at one point he was from Minnesota, which is where I think Julia went post Harrow death. It also fits the timeline of how old he probably is now (14-16 years old?). He seems to act like Jimmy did; soft spoken, almost dumbfounded half of the time. Now, I think it could go either way if it is him. He may kill Nucky "A Bronx Tale" revenge style, or Nucky could save him somehow from all his guilt for whacking Jimmy years back.

Guess I wasn't too far off
Trip McNeely
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby the wicked child on Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:06 pm

Hmm. The episode was fine, I guess, but not really a great finale. Disappointing season overall.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hockeynut! on Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:08 pm

Good call, Trip.

The episode was fine. The season was a waste. They tried to cram way, way too much stuff into an already abbreviated season.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby canaan on Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:09 pm

I didn't care for that at all. This season was just abysmal.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Trip McNeely on Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:15 pm

I almost feel it was copied off the sopranos finale, other than you see what happens to Nucky. The whole meeting with Uncle Junior was very similar to the Gillian scene.
Trip McNeely
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby the wicked child on Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:40 pm

Trip McNeely wrote:I almost feel it was copied off the sopranos finale, other than you see what happens to Nucky. The whole meeting with Uncle Junior was very similar to the Gillian scene.

I was definitely thinking Sopranos after the ending... but as you mentioned, they actually showed what happened to him.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:12 pm

Well, it certainly was better than Dexter's finale. :lol:

But let's look at some of the acting performances on the show. Jack Huston, Stephen Graham, young Nucky (Marc Pickering), Paul Sparks, Michael Shannon, to name a few, were outstanding throughout the series. Keep in mind the first three are Brits (which I always find interesting how well they pull off various American accents. As one such actor remarked (Jude Law), if you can't do an American accent, you're probably not going to work in Hollywood anyway). I'll miss those characters and show itself, but I wished they'd had a full 10 episode run to tie everything off. It seemed rushed with the fast forward to 1931.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:55 pm

I thought the finale was great. It was a good season. It's just a shame they didn't get to do the five seasons in between that the show deserved.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to NHR