Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins 2017 Stanley Cup Champs Fan Gear and Collectibles

McRib is coming back - November 2nd!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: McRib is coming back - November 2nd!

Postby columbia on Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:45 am

shafnutz05 wrote:lol McRib's are certainly "unhealthy" but no more unhealthy than some of the crap we eat elsewhere. Same goes for Mcdonald's in general.

I always laugh at the food snobs that are utterly disgusted by fast food restaurants, yet they will go out to any chain restaurant out there and order a meal/app that is likely much, much worse for you than McDonalds. POO ON YOU

Where's SDG when we need him?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:46 am

^haha.....very true.

But it is funny when people are disgusted with "fast food" but then go stuff their face in a restaurant with equally bad or worse fare. If you are going to be anti-fast food, you better be anti-ALL kinds of unhealthy food.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:58 am

shafnutz05 wrote:^haha.....very true.

But it is funny when people are disgusted with "fast food" but then go stuff their face in a restaurant with equally bad or worse fare. If you are going to be anti-fast food, you better be anti-ALL kinds of unhealthy food.

Cheesecake Factory, their menu is bigger than my employee handbook.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:02 am

shafnutz05 wrote:lol McRib's are certainly "unhealthy" but no more unhealthy than some of the crap we eat elsewhere. Same goes for Mcdonald's in general.

I always laugh at the food snobs that are utterly disgusted by fast food restaurants, yet they will go out to any chain restaurant out there and order a meal/app that is likely much, much worse for you than McDonalds. POO ON YOU

But a highschool dropout that went to culinary school for 6 months and had semi rich parents probably cooked it.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thepittman on Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:15 pm

thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:37 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:I always laugh at the food snobs that are utterly disgusted by fast food restaurants, yet they will go out to any chain restaurant out there and order a meal/app that is likely much, much worse for you than McDonalds. POO ON YOU

I have a fairly well-earned reputation here as a 'foodie'; the only petition I've signed in the last ten years was to overturn the California ban on foie gras.

That said, I've eaten meals at so-called 'fine dining' restaurants that would blow away - absolutely shame - anything from McDonald's in terms of caloric content. Oxtail ragu, the aforementioned foie gras, bone marrow, sea urchin....... my wife and I ate at a place in Chicago called The Purple Pig, and I'm reasonably sure our meal was in the 5,000 calorie range, each.

If foodies had any real understanding of how utterly unhealthy most fine foods were, they'd never utter a peep about Micky D's. As a good food aficionado, you just have to own your space. 8-)
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby canaan on Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:45 pm

the mcribs move in mysterious ways
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:17 pm

Blink and it's gone. The ephemeral McRib sandwich appears at McDonald's infrequently and only for a limited time. If you haven't indulged in one yet, here's what you're missing: azodicarbonamide, ammonium sulfate and polysorbate 80 — those are just three of the 70 ingredients (34 in the bun alone) that go into the BBQ pork sandwich, according to the restaurant's website.
These components are in small enough quantities to be innocuous. But it's still a little disconcerting to know that, for example, azodicarbonamide, a flour-bleaching agent that is most commonly used in the manufacture of foamed plastics like in gym mats and the soles of shoes, is found in the McRib bun. The compound is banned in Europe and Australia as a food additive. (England's Health and Safety Executive classified it as a "respiratory sensitizer" that potentially contributes to asthma through occupational exposure.) The U.S. limits azodicarbonamide to 45 parts per million in commercial flour products, based on analysis of lab testing.

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2011/10/27/w ... z1c2TFz1pg
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby the wicked child on Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:52 pm

I don't hate the McRib (or McDonalds itself for that matter) for nutritional reasons... I just don't care for them.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jimjom on Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:36 pm

I think the azodiocarbonide is the best part. Well, that or the pickles coz they're all crunchy!
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ulf on Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:33 pm

lost my mcrib virginity saturday. om nom nom
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby IanMoran on Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:28 pm

When it comes to fast food and unhealthy food in general... as with most things in life the cliche' "everything in moderation" is true
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Previous

Return to NHR