Favorite "Jam" Bands?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Favorite "Jam" Bands?

Postby legame on Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:47 pm

I hear the Tedeschi-Trucks Band has Eric Krasno from Soulive on bass and JJ Johnson from Mayer's old band on drums? Truth?
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:00 pm

legame wrote:I hear the Tedeschi-Trucks Band has Eric Krasno from Soulive on bass and JJ Johnson from Mayer's old band on drums? Truth?

JJ was on drums last night and is a long standing member of the TTB. Eric is one of many bassists who have taken a rotation with the TTB since Oteil Burbridge amicably left the band after the last CD/Tour (Relevator). (Oteils brother Kofi is with TTB on Flute/Sax)

TTB has some absolutely amazing musicians who seem to magically "hop over the boards" and join the band for a shift or two (see what I did there? :) )

on a separate note the Black Crows no longer have Luther Dickinson of the North Mississippi All-Stars on Guitar. He's been replaced by the ever capable Jackie Green, who put in a stellar performance last night.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby legame on Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:10 pm

I was aware of Luther leaving. He played on 3 tracks from my roommate's last album and we ran into his brother while driving through Mississippi a few weeks ago. For some reason I thought Neal Casal had taken over, but maybe that's with Chris Robinson's solo project?
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:45 pm

legame wrote:I was aware of Luther leaving. He played on 3 tracks from my roommate's last album and we ran into his brother while driving through Mississippi a few weeks ago. For some reason I thought Neal Casal had taken over, but maybe that's with Chris Robinson's solo project?

Yep, Neal is working with Chris in "The Brotherhood".

The Black Crows really only have room for two featured guitarists and that's always been Rich Robinson and a rotating position that featured Luther and now Jackie.

You mentioned that you had a roommate that played with Luther! I'm impressed and jealous at the same time!
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby legame on Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:10 pm

He recorded his overdubs in Memphis separately from the band, so I don't think they ever got to actually play together.
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby eddysnake on Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:24 pm

Ekoostic hookah
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:42 pm

eddysnake wrote:I'm not sure what the definition of Jam Band is, but Cream should be amongst the pioneers along with the Dead, Airplane, Traffic, etc... Just because they didn't do it like Phish, doesn't mean they are not a jam band.

“If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, looks like a duck, it must be a duck”

#jeffgarcia
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:45 pm

If youre primarily lnown as a Jam Band, you arent good.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shyster on Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:47 pm

Because of this thread, I've been listening to the "Jam ON" channel in SiriusXM. Not hearing much to like so far. Is appreciation of this genre of music aided greatly by being high?
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:49 pm

Shyster wrote:Because of this thread, I've been listening to the "Jam ON" channel in SiriusXM. Not hearing much to like so far. Is appreciation of this genre of music aided greatly by being high?

In my experience, snobby guitar players and potheads like it. Actually all the people i know that liked them were both.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:54 pm

columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby itissteeltime on Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:23 pm

dispatch is probably my favorite band ever. not sure if youd call them a jam band, but they have some awesome jam seshes when you see them live.
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:35 pm

columbia wrote:

Ahahahaha! :lol: I'm certain I had this on a mixed tape or two in high school.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to NHR