Sedation dentistry

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Sedation dentistry

Postby mac5155 on Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:13 am

Not to necro this thread but I'm going to make an appointment soon. Technical glitch last year caused my dental insurance to not be in effect til the beginning of this year so i'm good to go now.

I wonder if the charges for sedation vs. traditional are different?
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby beerman on Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:38 am

I hate going to the dentist. My dentist is really nice, I went to school and golfed with his son and he was my basketball coach for a couple years so he's a great guy who I've known basically my whole life and we always spend half the visit bs'ing about golf/hoops other random crap but I really hate going there in general.

Its not as bad now as when I was younger though, I despised that fluoride crap they always had to give you. One of the worst tasting things ever, eventually i figured out that if I just gagged and acted like I was going to puke from it they quit giving it to me.
beerman
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:45 am

beerman wrote:I hate going to the dentist. My dentist is really nice, I went to school and golfed with his son and he was my basketball coach for a couple years so he's a great guy who I've known basically my whole life and we always spend half the visit bs'ing about golf/hoops other random crap but I really hate going there in general.

Its not as bad now as when I was younger though, I despised that fluoride crap they always had to give you. One of the worst tasting things ever, eventually i figured out that if I just gagged and acted like I was going to puke from it they quit giving it to me.

My dentist always had awesome flavors so I didnt mind getting it.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:05 am

You get flouride at the dentist?
I that they only gave that to kids?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Kraftster on Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:10 am

I've never had a cavity, and I have all four wisdom teeth, so I don't know what this thread is about.
But, I haven't gone to the dentist in about 4 years now, so I am probably putting myself at risk to be a full participant in this thread in the very near future.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby beerman on Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:10 am

mac5155 wrote:
beerman wrote:I hate going to the dentist. My dentist is really nice, I went to school and golfed with his son and he was my basketball coach for a couple years so he's a great guy who I've known basically my whole life and we always spend half the visit bs'ing about golf/hoops other random crap but I really hate going there in general.

My dentist always had awesome flavors so I didnt mind getting it.

They only had the awful plain fluoride junk. I didn't mind the orthodontist because at least they had the flavored stuff which made it tolerable.
beerman
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby beerman on Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:12 am

columbia wrote:You get flouride at the dentist?

I was talking about when I was younger. Haven't had it for quite a while now but I think that's why I've always hated it so much.
beerman
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:16 am

columbia wrote:You get flouride at the dentist?

When I was a kid I got it, yeah. HAvent had it in a long time though.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:17 am

Kraftster wrote:I've never had a cavity, and I have all four wisdom teeth, so I don't know what this thread is about.
But, I haven't gone to the dentist in about 4 years now, so I am probably putting myself at risk to be a full participant in this thread in the very near future.

I have pretty sensitive teeth. Chocolate really gets them hurting for some reason. I can eat regular candy and sugar but chocolate sends shooting pain through my head. Im sure I have 1-2 cavities that need attention and one tooth that is all but dead and needs a root canal but they are not bothering me horribly so I feel like I should put it off as long as possible.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby itissteeltime on Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:17 am

haha, I also hate the dentist. I'd much rather go get a bunch of shots at the doctor than have a cavity filled.
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Old Time Hockey on Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:14 pm

I was put to sleep when they took out my 4 wisdom teeth and it was the greatest decision I have ever made!
Old Time Hockey
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Loaf31 on Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:49 pm

I am also a pansy when it comes to the dentist, I went 5 years between dental visits...

In October I went to the dentist for a horrible toothache (thinking that I'd just get it pulled). When the dentise examined me, he was looking at the left side of my jaw (my toothache was on the right), then I heard the scariest words "Uh Oh"

He informed me that I had 5 teeth (3 wisdom) that were in horrible condition and needed to come out ASAP. I made the appointment for about 3 weeks later (due to my job).

When the appt finally came, the worst part was the oral surgeon trying to find a vein for the IV. Next thing I knew I was out..... until I heard the dentist say "Almost done"..... I woke up during the procedure while they were extracting the last tooth.

While they were extracting, all of my teeth shattered and had to be cut out and I wore out my sedation. They stitched me up and sent me home with the usual instructions...

A couple of days went by and I was healing fine except for one of the extracted sockets was EXTREMELY sore, I was worried that I was getting dry socket. I called the dentist and he said that if I wasn't feeling better by the next day to call him. As soon as I got off of the phone with him, I had a sneezing spell where I sneezed like 6 times in a row. On the last sneeze I felt something inside of my mouth which was hard and jagged..... It was a piece of tooth that the dentist wasn't able to get out since I woke up. After that piece of tooth came out, it was smooth sailing.

I am a baby when it comes to dental work, but going under was the best decision that I ever made
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby profpolisci on Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:05 am

I'm not a dentist, but I just had $.$$$ of dental work. My teeth wouldn't numb with the conventional method.
Novocaine went out with disco music.
Sedation is more expensive.
If a tooth couldn't be numbed the chance of lidocaine/epinephren working ever again decreases (the way it was explained to me)
If you've waited four years the rot has most likely invaded the nerve...an extraction then, not a RC.
If you have any health issues a good oral surgeon or endodonist will want want an OK from your PCP.
Sedation is a breeze. Versed is amazing.
Not everybody gets Versed.
Tramadol kills the pain. Boom!
Take tramadol with plenty of spaghetti (the only thing you'll be able to eat) or you're guaranteed to get sick to your stomach.
You'll be fine.
Best wishes.
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby LeopardLetang on Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:02 am

tifosi77 wrote:
columbia wrote:All I can say is, if you get a temporary crown on your root canal, make the followup appointment for ASAP.
I had one and my entire tooth cracked like a walnut while I was eating a cactus omelette.
It was like a gun going off in my mouth.

:scared:

Yeah, I recently had a 13-year old root canal that failed and the root 'socket' got infected. Had to be cut out of my skull by an oral surgeon, and a bone graft (from a cadaver) inserted so an implant could take.

Novocaine only. Ooh rah.

so my root canal just failed as far as i can tell. everything fell out including the little golden screw. i'm assuming my socket is now at risk for infection? even if it doesn't get infected i assume i need to go to a surgeon to cut it out of the side of my mouth right?
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby RxBandit66 on Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:44 pm

Rylan wrote:Dentists are the scariest people alive. I hate going to the dentist. But, I also have a morbid fear of my teeth going bad. Catch 22

I read somewhere that dentists have the highest suicide/homicide rate of any medical profession. Perhaps due to the chemicals they work with?

Ever see that movie 'The Dentist" with Corbin Bernsen? Creepy stuff.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Ad@m on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:21 pm

Warning: If you have any fears of the dentist, please don't click the link.

http://m.wpxi.com/news/news/local/calif ... -de/nXC9n/
Ad@m
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JS© on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:46 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
mac5155 wrote:i guess but thats pretty standard. usually its just novocaine for stuff like cavities no?

yeah Novocaine for cavities. I HATE getting fillings

I went in one time thinking I was some sort of hero and didn't take the Novocaine. Never again.

I made it through the drilling and the filling, but I'm sure one of the slight noises I made cost me a few points off the mancard.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to NHR