LGP NASCAR Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP NASCAR Thread

Postby TheHammer24 on Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:00 pm

Race official.

Damn it what a horrible day for JGR, as Logano is pretty much out of the WC picture, and KyBu lost his comfortable lead. I think KyBu will prevail over Gordon, but it'll be reaaaal close.

Gordon has the edge at Atlanta and Watkins Glen, but Busch is good there too. Busch is one of the best at Bristol and Richmond.

I think Busch has run better at Michigan, but I'm not sure.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sj? on Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:08 pm

thepittman wrote:Awesome, Gordon deserved this after two seasons of cars being drawn to him like a magnet and knocking him out too many times.

The NASCAR gods finally said "Let's give him one !!" :fist:
sj?
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ville5 on Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:43 pm

sj? wrote:
thepittman wrote:Awesome, Gordon deserved this after two seasons of cars being drawn to him like a magnet and knocking him out too many times.

The NASCAR officials finally said "Let's give him one !!" :fist:

FYP for you. Bogus. Don't follow as close as I used to since Martin's just about done. But glad I couldn't make it. But the weather cleared not long after they called it. The officials lending a helping hand to Gordon, what a joke.
And anytime Gordon gets hit by another car he deserves it. Payback is a female dog as they say.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby TheHammer24 on Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:57 pm

ville5 wrote:
sj? wrote:

The NASCAR officials finally said "Let's give him one !!" :fist:

FYP for you. Bogus. Don't follow as close as I used to since Martin's just about done. But glad I couldn't make it. But the weather cleared not long after they called it. The officials lending a helping hand to Gordon, what a joke.
And anytime Gordon gets hit by another car he deserves it. Payback is a female dog as they say.

Sunset is in 12 minutes, and although I haven't paid attention, my twitter feed certainly indicates the weather was at least 90 minutes.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby TheHammer24 on Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:06 pm

Wow. Fan died from lightning strike at Pocono today. Very sad. Perhaps they let the race go too long, and this, without a doubt, confirms that the race was correctly called as to avoid fans hanging around in the horrible weather.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:15 am

ville5 wrote: FYP for you. Bogus. Don't follow as close as I used to since Martin's just about done. But glad I couldn't make it. But the weather cleared not long after they called it. The officials lending a helping hand to Gordon, what a joke.

lol, seriously? Did you see that line of thunderstorms? They dumped a ton of rain, not to mention the dangerous lightning in the area as others have mentioned. Not to mention Pocono is a TWO AND A HALF MILE TRACK that takes 2-3 hours to dry. That's about as demented of a conspiracy theory as I've heard.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby relantel on Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:29 am

What a turn of events late. Johnson gave it away, and Gordon was there to take what had been taken from him at Martinsville. Had hoped they would have run yellow a few more laps but the lightning strike incident shows calling it when they did was right call. Surprised as hell the way it played out for the 88 to retain the points lead going in to Michigan. TV/Radio was all agog about how Jr had beat the crew back to the garage, and had the car jacked up already by the time the crew got there. And quite frankly, I think I am happier with the issue while running strong than I would have been with a 20th place finish with no laps led - they hadn't led any since the win in Michigan. Heartbreak of one sort at Pocono in the spring (fuel), and they came out gangbusters at Michigan the next week. Don't think I would expect any different this week.

I do think, though, that this title is the 48's to lose. I wouldn't count the 88 out, nor really anyone else in the top 4, but they are going to have to take it from the 48, starting at a deficit (1 win each to at least 3 for the 48). I just don't think a 1 win team is going to win the title.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:49 pm

Below is the actual WC standings. I was off yesterday. As such, it's going to be harder for KyBu to make it. Really hoping he can win at Richmond. He has run well this year, but just an absolutely horrid string of mechanical failures this year.

Kasey Kahne (two wins)
Jeff Gordon (one win)
Ryan Newman (one win) ... -0 points behind Gordon
Kyle Busch (one win) ... -12 points behind Gordon
Joey Logano (one win) ... -36 points behind Gordon
Carl Edwards (zero wins) ... would have No. 2 wild card with a win
Paul Menard (zero wins) ... would have No. 2 wild card with a win + 14-point gain
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby CBear3 on Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:37 am

As predicted, Dodge to announce the end of their NASCAR involvement at 2:30 today.
A shame to see such sexy looking racecars go to waste.
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby TheHammer24 on Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:12 pm

CBear3 wrote:As predicted, Dodge to announce the end of their NASCAR involvement at 2:30 today.
A shame to see such sexy looking racecars go to waste.

The new Charger was by far the best of the 2013 cars.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby CERV96 on Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:22 pm

So every Tuesday Jimmie Johnson gives out his race hat for the 48th retweet. retweeted and saw over 200 retweets 5 seconds after he tweeted. Giving up on that now.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby relantel on Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:16 pm

would be more fun if those guys with 1 win were jockeying for the 2nd wildcard going into Richmond. Would be pretty crappy if one of them got a 2nd win at the Glen and take the drama out of that 2nd wildcard slot.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:42 pm

relantel wrote:would be more fun if those guys with 1 win were jockeying for the 2nd wildcard going into Richmond. Would be pretty crappy if one of them got a 2nd win at the Glen and take the drama out of that 2nd wildcard slot.

Yeah I agree. Especially since KyBu is a beast at Richmond. It's a shame, IMO, that only one of Gordon or KyBu are going to make the chase. They've been two of the better cars this year, but have just had horrific luck. They've definitely had better seasons than Bowyer and Harvick. In fact, Harvick has been really quiet this year.

W/r/t the Chase, it's gotta be the 48's to lose. In fact, you can make a real strong argument that all four Hendrick cars are the best. The 5 has looked great as of late, but if they're all running the same equipment it's hard to see how the others can compete.

I think the 11 (yes, I know) has been the best non-Hendrick car this year, especially considering the RFR guys' fall as of late. The 11 has wins at Phoenix, Kansas, and a should-have won at NH (3 Chase Tracks), seconds at Darlington & Charlotte, and a would-be second at Fontana. Hamlin has been competing for wins unless he has wrecked or had something happen save for Dover, where he just sucks.

The 2 is up there too now that I think of it, but his success has come at non-Chase tracks (Bristol, Dega [technically Chase, but very random], and Kentucky). He also seems to randomly find himself running in the twenties in a fair amount of races.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby TheHammer24 on Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:03 am

Here's the current odds on the Sprint Cup Championship:

Jimmie Johnson +200
Dale Earnhardt Jr +500
Denny Hamlin +700
Tony Stewart +800
Brad Keselowski +1000
Greg Biffle +1000
Jeff Gordon +1000
Kasey Kahne +1000
Matt Kenseth +1200
Kyle Busch +1200
Martin Truex Jr +2500
Carl Edwards +2500
Clint Bowyer +3500
Ryan Newman +10000
Joey Logano +15000

I think I'm selling Jr. and Stewart at those odds; buying Kahne, Keselowski, and Gordon if he makes the Chase.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:07 am

I like Kenseth at those odds too. Agree that I don't think Earnhardt should be as high as he is. Unless he manages to grab another win, of course.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:42 pm

WOWOWOWOW....what an absolutely incredible final lap at Watkins Glen. Disaster day for JGR, and the best battle ive seen in years between the 2 and 9
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby relantel on Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:38 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:WOWOWOWOW....what an absolutely incredible final lap at Watkins Glen. Disaster day for JGR, and the best battle ive seen in years between the 2 and 9

kind of like 32 and 97 to the line back at Darlington for Ricky Craven's last win, after a side-by-side battle for several laps.

relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:18 pm

Omg
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby TheHammer24 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:07 pm

I obviously watched the race late. Unbelievable year KyBu is having. That's awful for him. His saving grace is Gordon wrecked too. Rewatching the Keso-Busch incident, it looked like Busch just thought he was clear and Keso understandably didn't give him the position. That being said, there really isn't an excuse for not through the caution for the oil, as three cars wrecked as a result.

Busch dominated the race. He's fun to watch when he's going all out for wins. He's 6 points behind Newman and 2 ahead of Gordon going into Michigan, which is a good track for him, and Richmond/Bristol, where he's one of the best. Going to be really exciting.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby TheHammer24 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:33 pm

Johnson finally to the points lead.

I just looked this up real quick. Johnson's average finish in races where he wasn't wrecked (Daytona x2, Dega, Martinsville, Pocono, Charlotte (speeding), Fontana (late pit)) is 4.0. Not to mention he was dominating Martinsville and Pocono and he was in 3rd place when he pitted ahead of the rain in California.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby relantel on Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:00 pm

I think we can count the title favorites on two fingers at this point. Johnson and Keselowski.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:09 pm

Wow....horrible break for Martin there. He had the car to beat today.

Two back of the lead lap scrubs causing a wreck.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:12 pm

lololol two straight days ESPN let's an F-bomb slip on live TV. Good stuff.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:15 pm

That's the scariest wreck I've seen in a stock car race. That was about 2 feet from impaling Mark Martin. Not to mention, that car could have slid through that opening and slid into everyone in the pits. :shock:
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby TheHammer24 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:18 pm

Kahne's spotter. No relation to Denny.

Kevin Hamlin ‏@KevinHamlin

Some drivers mature and eventually get their heads out if their asses. JPM hasn't gotten there yet.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR